Newest Members
lilac, The Wife Of, smusab, whiteflag, North101
12287 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
cyclebreaker (41), monkeybusinessinky (28), Tom Byrnes (55), wind west (30)
Who's Online
0 registered (), 18 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12287 Members
73 Forums
63220 Topics
442070 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#242516 - 08/05/08 02:55 PM School rape case dropped
mogigo Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Colorado
The Crown's decision to drop charges against six boys in an alleged sexual assault of a 14-year-old girl in 2006 is "appalling," a rape crisis executive said yesterday.

"It's unnerving," said Rita Kohli, director of the Sexual Assault/Rape Crisis Centre of Peel. "Something clearly transpired (two years ago), there's no doubt about that ... people have to be held accountable for their actions."

Prosecuting attorney Laurie Gonet dropped the case against the accused in an Etobicoke courtroom Wednesday after the victim and her family chose not to proceed.

A spokesman for the attorney general confirmed yesterday that after speaking with the 14-year-old it was not in the public interest to go on with the prosecution.

It was alleged the girl was dragged into a washroom at C.W. Jefferys Collegiate in North York in the fall of 2006 and was forced to perform oral sex on two boys.

Charges were laid against the school's principal, Charis Newton-Thompson, and vice principals Silvio Tallevi and Stan Gordon for not reporting the incident to police, but those counts were later dropped as well.

While the Crown has appealed that decision and will look to proceed with prosecution against the school officials, there looks to be little chance the case goes to trial, their lawyer says.

"Provincial legislation says you are only obliged to report an incident where a child has been abused by a caregiver or a parent," said Michael Caroline, who represents Newton-Thompson, Tallevi and Gordon. Some appear to be upset at that notion.

"The system needs to re-look at itself. Teachers should have to report things like that," Kohli said.

"If a victim chooses to no longer go on with a prosecution, that's fine, we support her. But many have to live with that terror and tyranny of their assault for a long time.

"People need to be looking out for them."

One complication in the case against the six boys was the length of time between the alleged incident and when it was actually reported.

It wasn't until a panel investigating safety at the school in the spring of 2007 -- after the murder of C.W. Jefferys student Jordan Manners -- that the allegations were heard by police.

"No legislation is etched in stone," Kohli said. "We need to look at this like a challenge and fix it."

Hey, everything's dropped, it was too long ago, almost 2 years. Guess the the girl needed to drop it and get over it too.

Afterall the rapist's are over it, from now on they promise to be good boys. What other message could they possibly get from not being not held accountable for their actions.

#242852 - 08/06/08 09:27 PM Re: School rape case dropped [Re: mogigo]
WalkingSouth Offline
MaleSurvivor

That's kind of a strange outcome. I wonder what the back story is? Guess we'll probably never know. I feel sorry for the victim to be sure. I hope she's getting the help she needs.

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.