Newest Members
lilac, The Wife Of, smusab, whiteflag, North101
12287 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
cyclebreaker (41), monkeybusinessinky (28), Tom Byrnes (55), wind west (30)
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 20 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12287 Members
73 Forums
63219 Topics
442054 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#241981 - 08/02/08 03:26 PM Re: My New Hobby [Re: BJK]
BJK Offline
MaleSurvivor

1964 Pontiac LeMans GTO Sports Coupe

In 1964, the Pontiac LeMans had a $300 option called the GTO. It was the first time the engine from a large-size car was used in a medium-sized coupe as standard equipment. The Sports Coupe was the fastest of the three GTO styles built in 1964, and it came decked out with a 389 Tri-power engine that delivered 325 horsepower and a 3-speed manual transmission.

The GTO would eventually become a mainstay in the Pontiac lineup, and it is the most popular offering that Pontiac delivered in the 1960's. Some know the GTO as the "last true musclecar". I know the GTO's dual grille design gives a look that just says, "let's see how far down the gas pedal can go".

For those who are curious, GTO stands for Gran Turismo Omologato.

This model came molded in extremely cheap red plastic. There were several spots where the color didn't propagate all the way through the plastic, and even after sanding, the paint would just not stick. It took 9 coats of red paint to completely cover up the hideous stock plastic, but I'm absolutely thrilled with the way it turned out. The tape job is one I'm actually proud of. This is the first time I acutally looked forward to doing trim work after a good air-brush job. I learned the hard way that it works best to tape over the entire area to be painted, and then to cout out the edge of the trim with a hobby knife.

Next up: 1928 Mercury Touring Car

Edited by BJK (08/02/08 03:27 PM)

What the world needs now
Is some new words of wisdom
Like la la la la la la la la la.
-David Lowery

Having a friend who will keep a secret for you is worthless compared to a friend who won't keep a secret from you.

#241984 - 08/02/08 04:46 PM Re: My New Hobby [Re: BJK]
Trucker51 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Denver, CO
Bryan:

Nice model with the 3 carbs visible. A gas station where I worked in 1974 the one manager had a 1965 GTO with the same engine that I got to drive once. It had a 2-speed automatic transmission, with just low and drive. His was a rag-top model with the black and white vinyl interior. (They may have been custom seats).

I once owned a competitor that Buick made in the same year as your Goat. The car that I owned was a 1964 Riviera with the high-compression 425 cu in and the two 4-barrel carbs, which was rated at 365 HP, which only got in the 8 mpg range, less if you opened the back carb up. It had a 160 mph speedometer, and though I got close, I never buried it. I never had a car with so much high-end acceleration. At 80 mph you could stomp down on the gas, open-up the back carb, and the thing would throw you back in the seat, and two or three seconds later, you were at 110 or 120 mph. Car was a bit heavy, but almost the perfect "sleeper" in the horsepower-crazed city that grew-up in.

At the age of 11 our 6th-grade class took a field trip to Pontiac's main assembly plant, and a year later on another field trip, we toured Ford's River Rouge plant. Imagine seeing all of those 1968 and 1969 cars rolling down the assembly-line at that age getting your hopes up.

Keep up the good work.

Mark

#241987 - 08/02/08 05:06 PM Re: My New Hobby [Re: Trucker51]
BJK Offline
MaleSurvivor

The '75 Mustang II I used to drive had a speedometer that went up to 120...and yes, I buried it. Immediately afterwards, I swore I'd never go that fast again. The needle was wrapped all the way back to the 0, and I estimate that I was going about 160 with some throttle left. Of course, that 'stang didn't have the stock V6. It had the biggest engine that would fit...a 302 V8 with an oversized cam. It could squeal in all three gears, and the front end would actually lift off the ground if you could get a take off without the tires breaking loose. I scared myself down to 4-bangers with that car.

The '05 Chevy Cavalier with a manual tranny that I drive now squeals in all five gears. I surprise myself a lot when I tromp 'er down to try to merge into traffic and break the tires loose. If I have a passenger, I'll casually say, "oops."

Bryan

What the world needs now
-David Lowery

Having a friend who will keep a secret for you is worthless compared to a friend who won't keep a secret from you.

#241988 - 08/02/08 05:07 PM Re: My New Hobby [Re: Trucker51]
BJK Offline
MaleSurvivor

Originally Posted By: Trucker51
Nice model with the 3 carbs visible.

Kind of a shame that I can't get enough lighting to show off the Pontiac Blue engine block. I spent $3 just to get that color, too!

What the world needs now
-David Lowery

#241990 - 08/02/08 05:16 PM Re: My New Hobby [Re: Trucker51]
BJK Offline
MaleSurvivor

A little preview of the 1928 Lincoln I'm currently assembling:

This is a 1/32 scale model, which means it is slightly smaller than the rest. However, I feel absolutely fortunate to be able to assemble a model of this vintage nature. It was manufactured in 1963 by Lindberg, and things were definitely different then.

The box was absolutely trashed, so there is little to no collectors' value in the model itself. Therefore, I was able to buy it for $2, which is an outstanding deal for a complete model that is 45 years old.

There is no chrome. There is no rubber. The enrite kit, save the windows, is molded in beige plastic that just screams "paint me!". I've never painted tires before.

It has been a blast to put this one together, too. I'm about halfway done. It has a two-tone paint job, gold and black, and I decided to try to use contour putty for the first time. While the putty did improve the look by hiding the seams somewhat, it is very obvious that I used putty. Looks like I have work to do on my sanding technique.

I might end up bringing this one to work to show it off when it's done.

Bryan

What the world needs now
-David Lowery

#241991 - 08/02/08 05:31 PM Re: My New Hobby [Re: BJK]
markgreyblue Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Pasadena, CA
these are so great Bryan!

My bias though is with the White Mustang.

Simply Classic and beautiful to me.

Best,

Mark

"...the sign of a true leader is service..." - anonymous

#241992 - 08/02/08 05:32 PM Re: My New Hobby [Re: BJK]
EGL Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Very nice modeling, Bryan. I especially like that Pontiac LeMans - I had a 1969 Pontiac LeMans as my first car when it was already 9 years old. It was maroon with a black vinyl hardtop and felt like you were driving a speeding rocket. I drove it into the ground and sold it for scrap at $75 after a few years.

I share your love of vintage kits as well. I do modeling in trains and have bought some of the old SilverStreak and Globe kits from the 1950s off of eBay in the past. These caboose kits were made out of wood and white metal castings, so were a real challenge and joy to build. They sure don't make kits like those any more.

#242853 - 08/06/08 09:29 PM Re: My New Hobby [Re: BJK]
BJK Offline
MaleSurvivor

1928 Lincoln Model L "Classic" Sport Touring Car with Locke body

They sure don't name 'em like they used to.

The Lincoln Motor Company was founded by Henry Martin and Wilfred Leland in 1920. They quickly became known as the highest quality manufacturer in the United States, but Americans at that time didn't necessarily want quality. They wanted affordability, so by 1922, Leland and son were forced to sell their company to Ford for a total of $6 million. For nearly a century, Lincoln has been producing Ford's line of luxury cars, and quality was not compromised.

Ford was rolling chassis off the assembly line faster than they could make bodies, so they had to contract out the body-work to companies like Brunn and Locke. This 1928 version features a 60 degree V8 engine with a whopping 90 horsepower.

This model turned out extremely well, and I'm very happy about it. There was one discrepancy in that the front headlight mount was mysteriously missing from the sprew. I had to improvise, as a result, but I like the way it ended up.

I have retired my air brush mostly because I didn't want to buy more air, and also partly because I'm so sick of cleaning the dang thing. I used two different aerosol sprays to paint the gold body and the black fenders. I got by with two coats of gold paint and three coats of gloss black, and I'm quite happy with the results. I also used contour putty for the first time, but this was before I realized that it could be thinned with paint thinner. The result is that the body, which came in four pieces, has a barely noticable seem on the back and is just slightly lumpy on the front where my sanding job didn't quite do the trick. The biggest flaw, though, is just a slight amount of glue on the front windshield, which I think might be replacable at some point down the line with a clear molding cement that can be stretched into windows. I need some practice first, though.

This is the best picture. Did I mention that I suck at photography? This wasn't a convertible in the conventional form of the term "convertible", as it did not have a top. However, there was a canopy that could be raised to cover the rear passenger area, but the driver would always be forced to endure the rain.

The rear luggage rack and a good look at the canopy is available in this picture. Notice that there was only one tail light. This was stock.

The driving area was quite simple in those days. I think there were two speeds...forward and reverse. The dashboard had simply a spedometer right in the middle (no fuel gauge).

I'm not entirely certain how this engine worked. The gray contraption at the top is the wiring harness for the spark plugs, and the black little arm that plugs into the top of the engine is the radiator hose. The two silver doo-dads are the exhaust manifolds. It certainly looks like the radiator just dumped coolant right down into the engine. The one thing that is very noticable, though, is the fact that the entire engine is very easy to get to. It would take all of ten minutes to change the spark plugs on this bad boy.

Next up: 1995 GMC Sonoma

Edited by BJK (08/06/08 09:35 PM)

What the world needs now
-David Lowery

#244965 - 08/16/08 11:05 AM Re: My New Hobby [Re: BJK]
Hauser Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: United States
Cars (especially classic cars) are totally cool huh? Hey Bryan, you might find some cool stuff here: http://www.squadron.com/PDF/flyer-08-08/Full%20Catalog.pdf

Oh, and they don't charge that stupid sales tax either!

#244988 - 08/16/08 12:14 PM Re: My New Hobby [Re: Hauser]
BJK Offline
MaleSurvivor

I like ehobbies.com. They tend to be extremely inexpensive, and they have a monthly sale. This month, any order over $75 gets free shipping. Last month, any order over $25 got $5 off.

I also like to shop around, though. I tend to buy most of my kits off ebay, but I tend to get most of my supplies through ehobbies.

Bryan

What the world needs now
-David Lowery

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.