Newest Members
dspwilson, Won'tGiveUp, sillyputty, Pytbull, manipulated
12384 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
4gettingthepast4 (32), DougL (53), Jeff38 (48), lfp (27), pats121 (75), Texan (57), zer0sleep (35)
Who's Online
3 registered (highflight, 2 invisible), 34 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12384 Members
74 Forums
63654 Topics
444543 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#241901 - 08/02/08 05:43 AM No more chat.
blueshift Offline

Loc: infinity
Just want to let everyone know..especially those in the healing circle: I will be with you in the chat room in spirit only---not because of anything other than my internet connection suddenly going way slow on me so that it takes a long ass time to type anything.

I'm researching online as much as I can to see if I can determine the problem, but I'm not very techy and I use a wireless router connection--the numerous technicalities of which have so far made my head spin.

Anyway, I am currently dealing with constant periods of non responsiveness in which I can't see what I'm typing..(I'm also lousy at typing) so chat has become something I just don't feel capable of doing until I get this fixed.

To be honest, it's so bad now that it may even keep me from posting in the forums as much as I'd like to so if I seem scarce these days, that's the reason. It's weird. I got tons of memory but my pc acts like it has a huge memory shortage.

Too poor to take it in, so I just got to figure it out on my own.
Wish me luck, and if anyone has a clue what might be going on, I'd appreciate any suggestions.
Doug

#241902 - 08/02/08 05:58 AM Re: No more chat. [Re: blueshift]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Doug,

Thanks for letting us know the difficulty and I hope you can get it sorted out soon. Sometimes I wish for the stuff I grew up with: manual typewriters, corded telephones, and communications that took 3 weeks by letter! Does anyone under 40 here know what a "party line" is? \:\)

Much reminiscing,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#241905 - 08/02/08 06:40 AM Re: No more chat. [Re: blueshift]
Sans Logos Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: in my own world in pittsburgh,...
maybe a virus doug?

#241906 - 08/02/08 07:08 AM Re: No more chat. [Re: Sans Logos]
markgreyblue Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Pasadena, CA
when my computer has gotten really slow i know if i
click on the defragment program and then also clear my caches and loose as much unessential programs as possible this clears up disk space.

maybe you have that need too? more disk space?

mark

"...the sign of a true leader is service..." - anonymous

#241911 - 08/02/08 08:00 AM Re: No more chat. [Re: roadrunner]
BJK Offline
MaleSurvivor

Originally Posted By: roadrunner
Doug,

Thanks for letting us know the difficulty and I hope you can get it sorted out soon. Sometimes I wish for the stuff I grew up with: manual typewriters, corded telephones, and communications that took 3 weeks by letter! Does anyone under 40 here know what a "party line" is? \:\)

Much reminiscing,
Larry

Isn't that where you add a second telephone land line so that you can connect with your 14.4 kbps modem?

I just realized that it's been about a decade since I completely nixed the land line. But as someone who has been on the internet since the '80's, I do remember those 14.4 modems that were as big as my printer is today.

Bryan

What the world needs now
Is some new words of wisdom
Like la la la la la la la la la.
-David Lowery

Having a friend who will keep a secret for you is worthless compared to a friend who won't keep a secret from you.

#241914 - 08/02/08 08:12 AM Re: No more chat. [Re: BJK]
Trish4850 Offline
BoD Liaison Emeritus
MaleSurvivor<

Loc: New Jersey
Computers are brats sometimes! I'm no tech wizard, far from it, but in the past when my puter at home or any of them at work have misbehaved, I downloand AVG, which you can do for free, and (1) run the virus scan; it usually picks up crap (spyware) that you didn't even know existed; (2) clean out all the cookies and downloads you don't need (3) check your control panel for software you don't want/need (4) defragment the puter (programs/accessories) and finally (5) reboot the system, complete with powering it down). The whole process takes some time but if the puter is simply overloaded with nonsense a good bath sometimes helps alot. Also, check with your ISP, your base modem or your router may have gone kaflooey and they can replace it. This is pretty basic stuff so if you've done it already, I apologize, but it's as far as my knowledge goes.

Good luck to you......Trish

#241951 - 08/02/08 12:09 PM Re: No more chat. [Re: Trish4850]
Trucker51 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Denver, CO
Just the other day AVG found 92 different spyware cookies and a trojan downloader, and it automatically updates and scans my full system daily. Maybe you need to turn-up your firewall. I have already seen invasive programs that can reduce (or perhaps restore to factory settings) your adware/spyware settings. Plus I am becoming really tired of several different auto-click programs like Double-Click or Euro-Click, where you didn't touch anything but your computer just automatically clicks on various ad sites. It may be that the internet is going to need something like the Do Not Call List that the phone company uses to get rid of salesmen.

So take Trish's advice and get AVG and maybe a firewall if you don't already have one, set at least at a Medium setting. On High a lot of stuff gets cut out and your computer is always asking you to approve access to lots of programs that you most likely have never even heard of before.

There is hope for computers too.

Mark

#241955 - 08/02/08 12:30 PM Re: No more chat. [Re: Trucker51]
Sans Logos Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: in my own world in pittsburgh,...
once you go mac, you never go back.......

#242072 - 08/03/08 04:27 AM Re: No more chat. [Re: Sans Logos]
blueshift Offline

Loc: infinity
Thanx y'all. Regrettably, everyone's suggestions have been tried already. Avg, addaware, crap cleaner, defrag, and even some memory freeing even though I was only using about half of what is available. I have Kasperski antivirus and my computer geek friends tell me it's the best on the market.

I only seem to have problems when I'm online so I'm thinking its gotta be something to do with the router or the wireless card or wireless driver or the modem or or or or... \:\(

I guess if it's the router I could get it replaced, but I don't know how to determine if it is..the lights are all on on it but other than that I don't know how to test it. All I know for sure is my connection speed needs to be on social security disability 'caus it's down load speed is 1,228kbps which is way below what it should be for a dsl connection.

Well, tomorrow I'll start poking around online and see if can find some clue. And Larry, a party line is what's on the mirror with the straw and the razor blade, but it's really better for you to leave it alone. lol [edit]Larry, just so you know that joke was intended to be about me not knowing what a party line is, but may have sounded like it was about you being a drug user and I just want to make sure you know I didn't intend it to be taken that way. I have no knowledge of any drug use on your part and would not comment that way about it even if I did, but I was a knuckle head for not realizing that possible interpretation as I was writing it. I can be a real idiot sometimes.
Doug

Edited by blueshift (08/04/08 03:04 PM)

#242188 - 08/03/08 11:38 PM Re: No more chat. [Re: blueshift]
Trucker51 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Denver, CO
For you guys that don't remember, a party line is an older telephone system with multiple households on the same line. On some systems a different ring tone, or number of rings, or type of rings, identified different target households. Party lines were notorious for other people listening in and then spreading gossip, kind of like unprotected wireless internet is nowadays.

Who knows: Maybe you have the DSL or wireless equivalent of a party line. That speed isn't much quicker than back in the days when the phone line ran directly from the wall to my computer. Try it without using the wireless connection or card. I am one of the old-timers still using an ethernet cable.

Mark

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.