Newest Members
JHNebraska, mike42069, JACKL, Personman, SiegmundNYC
12490 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Alpha (49), AYounglove10 (23), joanne (27), justme62 (52), pontifixmax (44), royjay (46), Steve S. (48)
Who's Online
4 registered (Obi, 3 invisible), 17 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12490 Members
74 Forums
64156 Topics
447663 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#241862 - 08/01/08 09:35 PM Help
very confused Offline

Loc: TX, USA
I posted before about my xbf attempting suicide. I still care alot about him and we've been in touch. Now he says he's joined the Marines, less than 2 weeks after a suicide attempt he joins the Marines! I told him I think he needs therapy, I even recommended a great place here that specializes in DBT...I gave him their website then I dropped it. I'm sure he's not interested and I haven't brought it up again but I have this strong urge to try and convince him. Somebody talk me out of this please cause I know it's futile. I know if he was ready for therapy he'd find it. I just can see a world of trouble ahead for him. He's gonna get in there and have anxiety attacks and won't be able to get away like he can here. I've heard they don't have the best therapy in the service too and I hate to see another failure for him. He's such a great guy, just buried by what happened to him. He needs therapy so bad but he wants to try and work it out on his own. He wants to be "tough". Well just writing this helped...I know it won't do any good to push it. It's an excellent program with a great website and I told him about it so....... Please somebody tell me it's the right thing to back off.

ADDED ON: Ok, I'll watch for openings where I can say something but can anyone tell me anything that has worked to get them to try therapy. I know he's afraid of destroying his family and hasn't told any of them though he's wanted to. I know from a girlfriend of mine who was molested by her father and confronted him and told the whole immediate family that it doesn't always go well. None of them believed her. She was devestated but she has a very supportive husband. I've tried to tell him he can tell a therapist in confidence but I think he wants to bury it. But surely that's not possible. That's why he felt compelled to tell me and to try to do away with himself, yes? What can I say to him to get him to try and face it?

Edited by very confused (08/01/08 10:42 PM)

#241869 - 08/01/08 09:49 PM Re: Help [Re: very confused]
dangal Offline
New Here

Loc: seattle area
I can't tell you to back off...lord knows, I'm guilty of trying to help people when there is no hope, or not something I really need to be getting into. When you are a caring person, it's hard to watch someone suffer.

I can tell you, that you are correct. He needs to get help, and you can't do it for him. As hard as it is.

Stay loving. Give advice when the situation arises, and give yourself permission not to become consumed by this. I know you can't stop caring, but you can't let it take over all of you.

Good luck. I'm sorry you have been through so much.

#241870 - 08/01/08 09:53 PM Re: Help [Re: very confused]
Trish4850 Offline
BoD Liaison Emeritus
MaleSurvivor<

Loc: New Jersey
very confused,

Oh, how I hear your hurt, especially that he's made such a seemingly rash decision that isn't changeable. Your assessment of the whole situation is probably right on the money, but your instinct that you can't do anything about it is also dead on. One thing that may work in his/your favor, is that although he signed up, he's probably not accepted yet and if he made a recorded suicide attempt just weeks ago, it's not likely he will be. That may be devastating to him in the short term, but in the long run, I can't believe that the armed service is what he needs right now. Either way, he's lucky to have a friend in you.

ROCK ON........Trish

#241872 - 08/01/08 10:03 PM Re: Help [Re: very confused]
Trucker51 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Denver, CO
It seems to be one of several ways that CSA victims react when someone close finds out. They act all tough, clam-up, and withdraw. Does your boyfriend abuse alcohol or drugs? That seems to be another common way that abuse survivors cope. There are family members who are on here who can give you more guidance, along with the family forum moderator, Trish4850. My guess is that he joined the Marines to withdraw and to learn to become a tough guy who is much more difficult to walk all over. Being in control is what most survivors yearn for, some for their entire lives if the problem isn't dealt with. There are family members here who have had success and there are those who have expended lots of time and energy with less-fortunate results. I would suggest that you keep trying, at least for the immediate future, and that you establish contact with Trish and other members of the family support group.

Welcome to the site.

Mark

#241875 - 08/01/08 10:13 PM Re: Help [Re: Trucker51]
very confused Offline

You mean keep trying to convince him to get therapy? But I thought that would be worse, like I'm trying to tell him what to do, trying to control him myself. I'm so confused. I know he needs it, he told me about his abuse. I'm the only live person he's told. I think he's borderlilne too, he has every single sign or symptom, whatever you call it. He doesn't rage though, at least that I've seen. He acts "in" rather than "out". Wouldn't the Marines be really hard to deal with for someone like this?

What do I say to try and convince him? I think this is possibly his 3rd attempt. He told me he'd tried it as a kid, I think maybe be was in his early teens then but I'm not sure. Then he told me about some really bad car wreck he'd had. I thought it was just a car wreck but while he was in ICU he said some male nurse after his car wreck gave him a bad time and asked him what he was trying to do to himself. Surely that's an admission that that was a suicide attempt also?

What to do, what to do????

#241880 - 08/01/08 10:40 PM Re: Help [Re: very confused]
Trucker51 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Try to be supportive and try to stay away from doing anything that would cause him to feel out-of-control and/or make him feel like he is small and getting walked all over. Early in my own situation I was terribly sensitive and wouldn't trust anyone. I withdrew to a level where I had control. I could hardly trust anyone. Trust is such a huge issue in recovery.

Boot camp in the Marines is a very tough and demanding experience. If he gets through it he will be a much stronger person. My guess is that if his drill instructor smells too much fear or he doesn't perform up to expectations that he could be in for a tough time.

As others have said you could pull out the attempted suicide trump card and most likely get him pulled from consideration. Would that be a radical action that would leave him feeling betrayed or would it teach him how much you care about him? It seems that he is trying to force your hand and/or his issues with control and withdrawal. In the military he certainly won't have much control or privacy, at least for several years.

I would guess that maybe you continue being supportive, while at the same time you look through one of several books on the subject. The book that helped me 18 years ago when it first came out is Mic Hunter's classic ABUSED BOYS, which is available from our site off of the homepage for $11.00. Mic Hunter has also written several books for couples.

Keep trying and be supportive and most of all, try to stay away from frustration and anger. Let him try to proceed at his own rate. Once you get the book leave it out and leave the room. Sooner or later my guess is that he will take a look at it, most likely only when he is alone.

Getting beyond denial is the first step in recovery.

Stay in touch. There is hope.

Mark

#241909 - 08/02/08 07:57 AM Re: Help [Re: Trucker51]
LittleMiss Offline

Loc: USA
very confused - the only thing that I can say is that if he definately gets in, MAYBE it won't be too bad. I know how worried you are and I think all the stuff you have said is right on about how he feels, etc. BUT I also know that my husband excels in situtions such as this. The physical activity, the structure, someone else making the decisions. Since it seems inevitable that he is going, hopefully it won't be too bad. I don't know what type of person he is, I'm only going off of my personal experience with my husband, who is very physical activity oriented type person (I think he tries to be a 'super' man to combat the little boy within, which sounds kinda like what your ex is doing right now, huh?).

I'm sorry if what I said didn't really help. I just wanted to offer a small hope that 'maybe things won't be too bad'. Physical activity is really good for depression, etc because of endorphines and all that. Plus, if they really see that he isn't handling it, that he is 'losing it' so to speak - won't they kick him out or something?

Edited by LittleMiss (08/02/08 07:59 AM)

The woods are lovely, dark and deep. But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep, And miles to go before I sleep.

#241913 - 08/02/08 08:05 AM Re: Help [Re: LittleMiss]
very confused Offline

Actually I had thought of that, he is like that. Maybe it won't be so bad if nothing happens to trigger him. But it's such a shame. I felt his telling me and attempting suicide were his way of reaching out for help and he's not going to get the help he needs so badly. I sort of feel I failed him somehow though I don't know what I could of done differently. He runs 10 miles a day with weights on...kind of overkill to my mind. He is so wounded inside it's bound to come back out. I don't see how he can keep it buried for 2 yrs or maybe it was 4 he signed up for. And no offense of course to those who didn't seek therapy but it just seems to me the longer it stays inside the more it can damage you. Thanks for all the comments. Can anyone tell me something that was said to them that made them want therapy?

#241956 - 08/02/08 12:31 PM Re: Help [Re: very confused]
Trucker51 Offline
MaleSurvivor

I would say that when someone bottles it up and doesn't deal with it that their development is down a path that is gradually away from normal development. At first the problems are less noticeable and more easily hidden. As time progresses, the issues become harder and harder to hide, as the path taken is at a different plane and every decision made is affected by the gravity of the unresolved past.

My first trip to therapy was after an experience at a party in my late 20s where I was unable to respond to the advances of a couple of eligible young women and then was labeled gay in front of a crowd. I had tried for many years to cover-up or skirt that issue and had hoped that nobody would notice. And for 10 years my strategy had worked with only a few minor problems until then, only to fail in a spectacular fashion at the worst possible time. I felt both extreme shame and social disgrace. And it drove me to try to resolve it.

Just to let you know what drove me to seek help.

Have hope.

Mark

#242006 - 08/02/08 06:42 PM Re: Help [Re: Trucker51]
LittleMiss Offline

Loc: USA
Very confused - I thought of something else. It seems that there are several survivors on this site that are/were military. Maybe some of them can offer some insight on how being in the military affected them. Good? Bad?

The woods are lovely, dark and deep. But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep, And miles to go before I sleep.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, peroperic2009 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.