Newest Members
Lumpy, squeekinby, rhyoung, Jefferson22, OxfordArms
12369 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
freddie (65), Max10 (56), Medos (46), PJinLB (47), TheWookinizer (27), tofeno (40)
Who's Online
1 registered (Cthulhu), 13 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12369 Members
74 Forums
63578 Topics
444190 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#240354 - 07/26/08 12:42 PM The reason I was vuenerable to the CSA
onlyakid Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New Jersey
Today, I realized something, part of what made me vuernerable to my brother was my people pleasing. My parents fighting and Divorce probably caused it. Among my symptoms are:

1. I am afraid to rock the boat.
2. It is hard for me to know what I want.
3. It is difficult for me to say No.
4. I want everyone to get along.

The People Pleaser Pattern

"and i don't want the world to see me, cause i don't think that they'd understand"

"You don't know what love is...you just do as your told"

"My life has changed. What you take as a simple thing, is not so simple for me anymore"

#240357 - 07/26/08 12:49 PM Re: The reason I was vuenerable to the CSA [Re: onlyakid]
BJK Offline
MaleSurvivor

Originally Posted By: jtt5254

2. It is hard for me to know what I want.

For me, not knowing what I wanted evolved into knowing what I wanted without being able to communicate it. I'm getting better at that.

Bryan

What the world needs now
Is some new words of wisdom
Like la la la la la la la la la.
-David Lowery

Having a friend who will keep a secret for you is worthless compared to a friend who won't keep a secret from you.

#240363 - 07/26/08 01:11 PM Re: The reason I was vuenerable to the CSA [Re: onlyakid]
Barkabus Offline
MaleSurvivor

Jason,

I can see myself in all of those symptoms too. I also looked at the People Pleaser Pattern linked in your OP. There too I find myself fitting many of the de>

#240395 - 07/26/08 04:16 PM Re: The reason I was vuenerable to the CSA [Re: Barkabus]
Trucker51 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Denver, CO
That was a really great link, and I would enjoy reading some of his other stuff. Looking way back it appears that I had at least some of the symptoms of the people-pleaser model at one time, before graduating to passive/aggressive and "please than explode" behavior, before becoming very aggressive and angry as I tried to wrest control of my life away from those who thought that they had it. I still really enjoy when my boss tells me that I have done a good job, but now I do my work in my own way and he appreciates it.

Like Mike, the early Mark was much more outgoing and excited to make new discoveries. The new Mark is really happy to be completely in control and feels some threat having to give-up any of that control. Control over my life and control over my past is what I gained in the process of working on my issues. I still enjoy pleasing others, but only if I am in control.

Mark

#240397 - 07/26/08 04:26 PM Re: The reason I was vuenerable to the CSA [Re: Trucker51]
EGL Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Hi jtt,

MY wife tells me often that I'm a people pleaser for the reasons you stated above. I think a lot of the reason we developed that way is because of the other influences that were going on in our lives at the time, such as parental involvment (or lack thereof), our ability to interact with peers, etc. As I see it, a lot of wrong things came together to make me vulnerable for the SA that eventually happened.

Seeing now this people pleaser trait in yourself, does it help you to understand better the SA that came? It does me, in that it helped remove a lot of the self-blame.

#240455 - 07/26/08 08:32 PM Re: The reason I was vuenerable to the CSA [Re: EGL]
hogan_dawg Offline

Hi JTT,

I hadn't seen that link before, thank you.

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.