Newest Members
myrlin, AaronS, BookHouseBoy, WeFallWeRise, kieran
12463 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
arty (46), ava_adore (28), babs (63), bkeithb (49), shylo (34), si (22), universe (33)
Who's Online
5 registered (Banjo596, Shyshark, 3 invisible), 34 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12463 Members
74 Forums
63987 Topics
446595 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#240334 - 07/26/08 11:35 AM Re: Can you say NANNY-STATE? [Re: BJK]
AndyJB2005 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Saint Paul, Minnesota
I don't get why we're so angry over laws made to save lives...I'd rather them be there and not needed than not there and a kid dies...

Am I crazy here??

#240377 - 07/26/08 02:45 PM Re: Can you say NANNY-STATE? [Re: BJK]
Trucker51 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Denver, CO
She actually had a baby-size life-vest on which proved to be a bit too small for her weight. The vest was large enough to allow her to float, but not large enough to keep her head above water falling-in off of the raft. How do I know that the baby has outgrown the vest when her mother seems comfortable, even a bit blaise, with the arrangement? Am I guilty of failing to oversee the habits of an unrelated woman and her children, whom I hardly knew? It seemed like an old habit for her mother.

I have begun to wonder whether maybe I am a little bit guilty of failing to take into account the effects of global warming on the winter driving habits of the average or younger motorists. Earlier in my career it was quite common to operate on packed snow at fairly high speeds in the Great Lakes and Northern New England regions and the Colorado and Wyoming mountains. These days more and more motorists are acting really frightened of a little bit of snow, while I have been acting like the winter weather today is nothing like it used to be. I do have almost 30 years/3 million miles of commercial driving experience though, in addition to a million miles in a car.

Do you see my stance on winter driving as a problem that I should look into modifying somewhat for safety reasons? Remember, my industry exists because they are more time-sensitive than the railroad is. Especially with fresh food and other time-sensitive products, there is a tremendous amount of pressure to accomplish on-time deliveries, because often, the value of the product being delivered is determined by it's age, or a delivery later than scheduled would have substantial negative financial consequences for the buyer, who is also more often than not, paying extra for the expedited tranportation service.

Remember, right off the bat, a loaded road semi takes between 3 and 4 times as long to stop as a car does from freeway speed. On a steep downgrade that can increase to 8-10 times as long. So right off the bat you have to factor in acceptable risk.

Just was looking for opinions of the average motorists. Remember, the relative low costs of all consumer products are highly dependant on the speed and time-sensitive service offered by the trucking industry.

Mark

Edited by Trucker51 (07/26/08 02:58 PM)

#240384 - 07/26/08 03:00 PM Re: Can you say NANNY-STATE? [Re: Trucker51]
BJK Offline
MaleSurvivor

I was mostly referring to the mother when I cited negligent behavior. I have learned a lot in how to take care of toddlers from my sister. When she "watches" her kids in the pool, she is taking an active role in directing their play and is ready to jump in at a moment's notice.

As far as your comments about driving go, I always give space to large trucks. When I used to work as a lineman, I considered driving to be the most dangerous aspect of my job. Just yesterday, a sanitation truck almost took out an overpass locally because he forgot to lower his boom.

People think I'm nuts because I refuse to pass trucks on the right, and I always flash my lights for them if the way is clear when they put their signal on to change lanes in front of me. Finally, when I asked you about mountain driving a few threads ago, i was genuinely concered for everyone's safety.

As far as winter driving goes, I live in Fargo where, once the roads become icy, they stay icy all winter. Pretty much the only allowance I make for driving in the winter is increasing following distances because it takes longer to stop. Since I never speed, even during the summer (yes, I'm the asshole doing 34 in a 35), I don't really see the need to reduce my speed unless the guy in front of me is going slow.

What really gets my goat is when snow is accumulating, and people slow way down because they are afraid of it being slippery or because the visibility is poor. When there is a blizzard with accumulation on the roadways, my biggest concern is not getting stuck because I'm doing 5 miles per hour in a 55 mile per hour zone.

Bryan

What the world needs now
Is some new words of wisdom
Like la la la la la la la la la.
-David Lowery

Having a friend who will keep a secret for you is worthless compared to a friend who won't keep a secret from you.

#240423 - 07/26/08 05:42 PM Re: Can you say NANNY-STATE? [Re: BJK]
Trucker51 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Denver, CO
What I am encountering more and more frequently are people, and often younger people, driving at half or less of the speed limit in light snow showers with decent visibility, even though the road is just wet. 25 mph, even 35 mph, in a 75 mph zone on I-80 just because of 2 miles of visibility in snow flurries ought to be considered illegal and dangerous. Yet I am seeing just that more and more often at that latitude. Years ago there was plowed snow 8 feet high all winter long alongside the road at that latitude and now that is a very rare occorance. Fargo may yet be a bit different, but even when I lived in the Twin Cities from 97-99, they were experiencing an increase in people driving on frozen lakes and falling through, as the average winter temperatures were warming-up.

Just the other day on one of the cable news channels there was a presentation on global warming where the guy tried to downplay warming at only 1-2 degrees on average, with some places as high as 4 degrees of rise. For just a couple of seconds the bottom of a chart he was referring to was shown with the temperature rise shown, and in parenthesis, the letter (C) following the temperature rise. 4 degrees F. is 7.2 degrees C. Now we are starting to understand why the lake behind my parent's old house doesn't freeze over strong enough to drive snowmobiles on like it did back in the 1970s. Back then the average January high temperature was 23 degrees F, and now it is 30.2 degrees.

Thanks for your take on trucking and its issues. I spent the night in Fargo once back in the late 90s at the Flying J. It snowed over a foot overnight on top of the 2 feet that was already there. And the next morning I-94 had bare pavement showing on my way over to Detroit Lakes for my delivery. In a lot of places lately they have a different approach: They say that if God put it there, then let him take it away.

Mark

#240430 - 07/26/08 06:02 PM Re: Can you say NANNY-STATE? [Re: Trucker51]
BJK Offline
MaleSurvivor

I don't necessarily believe in "global warming". Our winter this last year was actually below the 100 year average as far as average temperature goes, but even then, we are just measuring weather. There is a huge difference between "weather" and "climate".

I must also add that the worst winters in my memory were from '95 to '97, where the actual temp would hit -35 and stay there for weeks. If you were in the Twin Cities for Christmas '96, you'd know what I was talking about. I think we were just a couple of degrees away from the point where molecular motion ceases....and it was five degrees colder in Fargo.

But also, I think it must be noted that the warmest winters in my memory were from the late '80's. In January 1987, we were close to 70 degrees, which is absolutely unheard of. Of course, those were the same years where we were having dust storms because of lack of precipiatation, and the weather in the summer was routinely hitting over 100. In fact, I think from '86 to '89, we had more 100 degree days than we have had from '90 to the present. I distinctly remember the mercury climbing to 110 here in Fargo once when I was a kid and how the heat didn't bother me. A lot of people might think that would be impossible here in the frigid north, but the fact is that North Dakota is actually the fifth hottest state in the union behind California, Arizona, New Mexico and Nevada.

Now, my meteorologist friend would argue that "global warming" doesn't necessarily increase temperatures because as humidity rises, it actually regulates the temp.

That's why I don't believe in global warming. Because if all of the water in the oceans started to evaporate, that extra water in the atmosphere would start to regulate the temperature. Of course, I'm still an environmentalist at heart, and I think we should take care of the earth. Hell, over 1/3 of my investment portfolio is dedicated to companies that focuse on environmentally friendly industries like wind power, solar power, organic fertilizer, and cellulosic ethanol. However, I stopped believing in boogiemen back when Ronnie Reagan was in the Oval Office.

Bryan

What the world needs now
Is some new words of wisdom
Like la la la la la la la la la.
-David Lowery

Having a friend who will keep a secret for you is worthless compared to a friend who won't keep a secret from you.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.