Newest Members
JimHouston42, GKB, MorganWut, myrlin, AaronS
12466 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
BobdaFarmer61 (53), LeeM1974 (40), MATROS48 (57), victor valdez (40)
Who's Online
8 registered (Garf, lapchinj, Bluedogone, focusedbody, 3 invisible), 12 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12466 Members
74 Forums
64012 Topics
446746 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#240234 - 07/25/08 09:33 PM My writing and my privacy
Tinman Offline

Loc: Lake Forest, CA
I have written a lot of poetry in my life. The things that most people see are the "approved" and "accepted" styles.

I have won some contests and been included in several anthologies of poetry. I even had a book published last year of my own poetry.

But the poetry I publish and the poetry I keep for myself are different. Just as the poetry I have written here. For two reasons: One, they do not reflect accepted standards. Two, they are poems written from my heart about my abuse, recovery and personal outlook on the world.

I write under a psuedonym for publication. Here I do not, other than my screen name, and some know my real name.

I have been asked to consider whether to allow some of my poetry writen here or to be written here in the future, to be included in a project.

I don't know about that. Because this is a place I feel I don't have to hide. And I wonder what I would feel like if I saw the words I write here in publication for the general public to see. I don't know if I want my words, even under "anonymous" out there.

I could use your input on this, my fellow survivors. Thank you in advance.

To the perps: Don't worry about me coming after you. But you damn well better watch out for God! "Vengeance is mine", saith the Lord

#240283 - 07/26/08 07:41 AM Re: My writing and my privacy [Re: Tinman]
CDavid Offline

I have come back to this several times, Tinman, because I write. But like you, I use a psuedonym.

If I say, "Because eventually, there comes a time when it is more painful to stay where we are, than, move on." Does that seem relevant?

Not sure? But it was what I originally felt, as I read this post, because I thought of all the things I have written under a different name...and wanted to go back...so that everyone, even those who do not know me...would know it is me. And, what I have to say is important.

:-)

CD

#240309 - 07/26/08 10:01 AM Re: My writing and my privacy [Re: CDavid]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Tinman,

I think any guy's top operative consideration here ought always to be his own welfare and safety. Look at possible participation in this project only in terms of what works for you and what is good for you. If you think participating will be rewarding and empowering for you, then you might want to go ahead. But also bear in mind considerations of your own feelings of safety. If you have any doubts, then I think the more cautious option is always best.

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#240328 - 07/26/08 11:17 AM Re: My writing and my privacy [Re: roadrunner]
blueshift Offline

Loc: infinity
yeah, I'm with RR. I'm comfortable sharing things now I never could have thought about sharing a few months ago. Just go with what you feel.

#240340 - 07/26/08 11:56 AM Re: My writing and my privacy [Re: blueshift]
MarkK Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Denver, CO
I, also, have been asked to have some of my work here be shared in a project. Initially - it scared me enough to remove each and every poem I'd written.

I am now letting it "mull around" the back of my mind while I consider it calmly - instead of like a frightened child that was about to be exposed and humiliated once again.

M&m

#240342 - 07/26/08 11:58 AM Re: My writing and my privacy [Re: blueshift]
mogigo Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Colorado
This post made feel like there could be a fundraising slant here for MS, "the best of the poetry section", \:\) hope I didn't stop to many heart's saying this but I know that it's very important to me that MS has the fund's they need to always continue.

Permission of course would always be needed

I can't think of a more emotional poetry book than what could be produced from here.

Stay strong
Mike

#240345 - 07/26/08 12:17 PM Re: My writing and my privacy [Re: mogigo]
EGL Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Hi Tinman,

I fully understand where you've coming at from this. I know that for me, personally, I've been able to voice so much of the emotions about the abuse by writing about it through poetry when I just could not do the same with a simple narrative. So my poems about it all are very much a part of me as well. Share what you feel you can with the project if you want, but only do it if you really feel the need to do it, and if it will help YOU.

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.