Newest Members
GoodKiwi, Naeno, stillhere35, RKS, Albertus
12557 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
2dayistheday (34), 4LaurenAline2 (48), akn (61), barrington (65), Gideonfl (52), James Michael (57), Obi (44), tu (46), Vedder32 (34), yoga_mom (46)
Who's Online
9 registered (BraveFalcon, Obi, AlexBoyd, GT13568, 3 invisible), 19 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12557 Members
73 Forums
64448 Topics
450156 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#240131 - 07/25/08 08:38 AM Depression and Exercise
MarkK Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Denver, CO
ok - so my therapist, my doctor, and a couple friends have all told me if I would exercise, even a little, it would help with my moods because of natural endorphins (or some-such-thing).

anyhoo - a couple weeks ago I got a pass to our local rec center - they open their pool for lap swimming at 5:30 3 times a week. Since I leave for work at 6:00 anyway, I decided I would force myself to try. And I'd do the "home gym" thing a couple days when the pool wasn't open.

And ya know somethin? It works. Oh, I'm not off my meds - but the difference on the days I do the exercises is very VERY noticable.

So if there's any of you die-hards out there suffering from anxiety, panic, depression - and saying "it will never work" - find the energy, drive, SOMEthing, to try it for a couple weeks. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

This concludes this announcement.

;\)

M&m

#240136 - 07/25/08 09:54 AM Re: Depression and Exercise [Re: MarkK]
LandOfShadow Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
I dropped my anti-depressant this spring without any noticeable effect because I was running regularly. I'd say exercise (running) is as effective as Welbutrin, and much cheaper!

And by the power of a single word I can begin my life again, I was born to know you, to name you
Freedom

Paul Eluard

#240159 - 07/25/08 01:13 PM Re: Depression and Exercise [Re: LandOfShadow]
MarkK Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Denver, CO
... with proper foot wear ...

M

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.