Newest Members
Serenity40, markm, hans32, SilentNoLonger, masryt
12132 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
casey (45), flaredsoul (31), Madcap (29), susie24 (59)
Who's Online
5 registered (peroperic2009, GT13568, focusedbody, 2 invisible), 67 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12132 Members
73 Forums
62561 Topics
438344 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#238850 - 07/18/08 09:38 PM Re: My New Hobby [Re: BJK]
BJK Offline
MaleSurvivor

1969 Chevrolet Camaro Z-28 Rally Sport

I learned a lot doing this model. First and foremost, I learned that I hate decals. It's hard to pick out the issues I had in these pictures, but let's just say that they didn't exactly turn out right.

I was pretty dang proud of my airbrush job here. First of all, the model came molded in a very cool metallic blue, so it took a lot of convincing to airbrush over top of that. However, I finally just convinced myself that the model would look better in black.

When I started the detail work on the body, my hands were shaking profusely. I'll put it frankly...the high gloss black paint just looked sweet. I was so afraid of messing it up. The result is I ended up not doing any window trim at all, and I'll explain why.

I was leaving work last Saturday, and there was a Camaro just like this one parked in the parking lot on my way out. I'm not sure what it was doing there, but the only difference was that it was red instead of black. Since I was putting this model together, I inspected it closely. From that car, I got the idea of the silver trim on the front grille. I also noticed that the trimwork around its windows was black...not chrome like the artist's rendition on the box.

I went with what I saw, and I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out. Of course, the whole effect was ruined by the fact that the decals didn't fit right.

One of the sad parts about this model is that it came with four chrome Z-28 emblems. I painted them all to match this one on the back, but I was unable to snip them from the chrome sprue without damaging them. I was only able to salvage this one.

Of course, we would be completely remiss to mention the fact that this bad boy came with the rare Chevy 302 with dual carburators. This gave a lot of punch for what is known as a "little" V8.

And, of course, we have the front view with the recessed 1960's style recessed grille that screams muscle that I love so much.

Next up is a 1964 Dodge 330 SS.

Edited by BJK (07/18/08 09:43 PM)

What the world needs now
Is some new words of wisdom
Like la la la la la la la la la.
-David Lowery

Having a friend who will keep a secret for you is worthless compared to a friend who won't keep a secret from you.

#239909 - 07/23/08 10:33 PM Re: My New Hobby [Re: BJK]
BJK Offline
MaleSurvivor

1964 Dodge 330 Super Sport

The 330 stands for 330 horse power, which was the rating of the 383 cubic inch mopar beast that was under the hood of this 1964 Dodge.

I am still learning, and on this model, I learned a lot. Truth is, I've been working on the body paint for quite some time. I started with a beautiful white air brushed finish, and then I completely botched it up doing the detail work. I tried again, taping off my detail work, and I ended up with serious tape lines. I put it aside for a couple of weeks frustrated.

However, after spending a lot of time on the interior, putting a full five coats of insignia red on the bucket seats, I decided that I couldn't just let this one go. I sanded down the taping lines as best as I could, I retaped the finish work, and I used my putty knife to cut out the details. The results? Well, I can effectively say that I now know how to tape effectively. It could have turned out better, but I'm proud of myself for not giving up. I ended up with nine, count 'em nine, coats of original white gloss on the body.

This was the first Lindberg model I've ever put together, and i do have to say it was fun. The problems were 1) there was a flat out error in the instruction booklet and 2) the painting instructions weren't very clear. Therefore, I freelanced this one, and the one thing I really liked about it were the interior decals.

The biggest issue I had with putting this one together is that I lost one of the tires, and so I had to order a set of two Pirelli front drag tires on ebay. I think my kitty is the culprit. He LOVES these rubber doo-dads. I seem to think he also has the back lights from the 1987 Firebird I'm currently assembling as well.

Next up is a 1987 Pontiac Firebird.

Edited by BJK (07/23/08 10:36 PM)

What the world needs now
-David Lowery

Having a friend who will keep a secret for you is worthless compared to a friend who won't keep a secret from you.

#239919 - 07/23/08 11:38 PM Re: My New Hobby [Re: BJK]
CDavid Offline

Bryan,

I loved this...

"I think my kitty is the culprit. He LOVES these rubber doo-dads. I seem to think he also has the back lights from the 1987 Firebird I'm currently assembling as well."

Where are you putting all of these as you finish them?

:-)

CD

#239943 - 07/24/08 07:02 AM Re: My New Hobby [Re: CDavid]
BJK Offline
MaleSurvivor

They are slowly taking over the shelves my Transformers currently occupy. I actually have quite a few open shelves without much to put on them, so the Transformers are safe for the time being.

What the world needs now
-David Lowery

#239945 - 07/24/08 07:09 AM Re: My New Hobby [Re: BJK]
CDavid Offline

Ahhh, well, you know...I hope the transformers do not get pushed out completely. After your post on transformers I was compelled to get the movie when it came out, watch it, I loved it.

As we were heading back "home" to visit, we decided to stop in to see the place where my brother is buried. I wanted to get something, to leave there. After much thought, I got a Bumblebee transformer...pushed it into the soil next to the marker.

It just seemed right.

Thanks...

David

#239949 - 07/24/08 07:21 AM Re: My New Hobby [Re: CDavid]
BJK Offline
MaleSurvivor

That's really awesome, Dave. Thanks for sharing.

No, the Transformers won't get pushed out completely. I feel I may end up donating some to a local thrift store or children's hospital, and my nephew may end up with a couple. However, as I scan my shelves, I really don't think I can bear to part with Bumblebee, Optimus Prime, or Jazz. They were very close to my heart as a kid, and buying them truly did have a profound effect on my recovery.

What the world needs now
-David Lowery

#239951 - 07/24/08 07:24 AM Re: My New Hobby [Re: BJK]
CDavid Offline

Uh-huh...as they captured him, tied him down...all the while you, as the viewer, knowing he could easily break free...he didn't, wouldn't, because he made the choice not to hurt anyone.

Okay, I am a hopeless sap...but I loved that.

:-)

David

#239954 - 07/24/08 07:30 AM Re: My New Hobby [Re: CDavid]
BJK Offline
MaleSurvivor

Yeah....Bumblebee was my favorite as a kid. He was a wimp, but he had the courage of a lion. And that scene in the movie kind of took my heart as well. Not only Bumblebee, but Optimus Prime as well; they were both willing to sacrifice tremendously to avoid hurting someone.

But of course, the movie was completely secondary to the circumstances that surrounded my second viewing of it. My nephew, in the seat next to me, was in a theater to watch a "real movie" for only the second time in his life. At the beginning, where Blackout (the helicopter) makes his first appearance and begins to transform, my nephew literally stood up on his chair and shouted "THAT WAS AWESOME"! I was laughing so hard as I tried to "shush" him, I was barely able to get him to sit back down. Thankfully, the people around us (in the packed theater) were also giggling.

It's a memory I will always hold with me.

Bryan

What the world needs now
-David Lowery

#239955 - 07/24/08 07:33 AM Re: My New Hobby [Re: BJK]
CDavid Offline

I bet...that would have only added to the whole experience for me...wish now, I had seen it in the theater.

CD

#239963 - 07/24/08 09:06 AM Re: My New Hobby [Re: CDavid]
BJK Offline
MaleSurvivor

Back to my kitty....I would have never believed it possible if I hadn't seen him reach over the table to specifically pick up one of the tires with his paw. He's got strong fingers, and since he's a 21 lb. cat without any fat, he can be quite a little devil when he wants to be.

I have to keep the tires under lock and key or he will steal them all.

Bryan

What the world needs now
-David Lowery

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.