Newest Members
SiegmundNYC, TheGreatWhat, MyNameIsPaul, serenity38, vivo
12486 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Can-tex (45), cbchorn (41)
Who's Online
8 registered (Sonata1, Banjo596, BraveFalcon, 5 invisible), 21 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12487 Members
74 Forums
64149 Topics
447617 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#239435 - 07/21/08 08:09 PM tired of ppl telling me they are a lost cause
addison70 Offline

Loc: texas
I am very frustrated today. I got into an arguement with my business partner over my kids. I have been in & out of the office the last couple weeks dealing with them. First, they ran away last week. My son had a hearing last tuesday & he was affraid that he would go to jail so my daughter and him ran away. Then, I have had to go to court to deal with all the tickets and trouble they keep getting into. It sux but I know that this is because of the abuse. I understand they need to be punished for what they have done but I am still going to be by there side. They are an emotional mess. They havent got strong enough to deal with what their father did to them & are acting out. My partner asked me when I was gonna see they were a lost cause. I couldnt believe he said that. I told him that I have faith in God and am going to do everything in my power to help my kids through this. If we loose our business, I will have to deal with it. I told him my kids are more important to me than money. He said I am letting them & what happened to them ruin me. Its not only him several of my friends have said the same. They have no understanding of what the kids have been through. I just keep hearing life isnt fair and they have to get over it. I was told last week that I should consider giving my rights up. I am so tired of it. any advise on what to say to them

#239441 - 07/21/08 09:00 PM Re: tired of ppl telling me they are a lost cause [Re: addison70]
indygal Offline

How about -

I'm their mother and that's what moms do?

people have said the same thing about my son - I won't go into that here - but that's always been my response - going on a couple of decades now.

all the best,
Indy

#239443 - 07/21/08 10:03 PM Re: tired of ppl telling me they are a lost cause [Re: indygal]
CDavid Offline

addison70,

My daughter was raped when she was fourteen, I imeadiately found a counselor that was reffered highly by a friend. When I asked my daughter about it, she said, "No way!" So, I said, "It might get you out of gym class for the year. She said, "Sign me up!"

I don't want, in any way, to minimize the experience or the impact it has had on her life, but she was not comfortable talking to us as parents. Finding another adult, that she came to trust, had a lasting impact on her life. She is in her thirties now and has no reservations about the advantages of maintaining a support network.

I am not saying it is what you should do, I am just saying it worked for us. She felt we were being supportive...and we were not qualified to deal with the issues that come up in those circumstances. She had someone she could talk to...not her parents...that she trusted.

Good luck,

CD

#239449 - 07/21/08 10:40 PM Re: tired of ppl telling me they are a lost cause [Re: CDavid]
AndyJB2005 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Saint Paul, Minnesota
How about telling these people to mind their dang business? They sound really nosey. Its between you and the kids. You (Mom) have to do what you think is best. Good luck. \:\)

#239450 - 07/21/08 10:55 PM Re: tired of ppl telling me they are a lost cause [Re: AndyJB2005]
NY Daisy Offline
New Here

It's always easy for someone to tell you how you should act or react to something when it is not happening to them. I bet their responses would be quite different if the shoe was on the other foot.

only you get to decide what is best for your kids,and as their mother you will know what will work best for each of them,since you know them better than anyone.

You are there for them and that is the first step toward healing for ALL of you. Warmly, NYDAISY

#239487 - 07/22/08 08:11 AM Re: tired of ppl telling me they are a lost cause [Re: addison70]
cbfull Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Ohio
These people are label makers and are fools. They choose not to know the truth so they can dole out judgement and feel good about themselves.

That might sound harsh, but it's no harsher than giving up hope on children that have been robbed of their innocence. They need someone to believe in them, and to teach them how to trust again, and as soon as possible.

For me as a child, I remember acting out and lashing out were tied together in some way.

Very saddening story, I'm glad you shared this dark aspect.

Craig

Guilt and shame have never done any of us any good at all.

#239541 - 07/22/08 01:00 PM Re: tired of ppl telling me they are a lost cause [Re: cbfull]
dangal Offline
New Here

Loc: seattle area
As a mom I have to say, I didn't know quitting was a option. Dear lord....Sure glad your business partner isn't the parent for these hurt kids....good luck

#239565 - 07/22/08 04:57 PM . [Re: dangal]
bardo213 Offline

Edited by bardo213 (06/21/13 05:12 PM)

#239577 - 07/22/08 06:01 PM Re: tired of ppl telling me they are a lost cause [Re: bardo213]
addison70 Offline

Loc: texas
i have had all 3 of them in counseling off and on for the last 4+ yrs. My son has always had the hardest time with it. I have had several counselors tell me he wasnt ready and I was wastin my money. But it seems that my youngest is startin to have some issues...It is really frustratin the people that we should be able to get support from are givin up on them.

#239583 - 07/22/08 07:07 PM . [Re: addison70]
bardo213 Offline

Edited by bardo213 (06/21/13 05:12 PM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, peroperic2009 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.