Newest Members
Stormchaser, johnnyc717, bluebook, Roscoe, SJC
12314 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
blueturtle (46), David C (40), DavidC (40), Derdlecar (61), Hector (54)
Who's Online
3 registered (motmcd, Obi, 1 invisible), 14 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12314 Members
74 Forums
63360 Topics
443053 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#239112 - 07/20/08 01:33 AM Weather as a Trigger
LN3(SS) Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: MD
I know this sounds crazy, but I would appreciate honest feedback.

With the heat wave along the east coast of the US and the humidity here in a neck and neck race to see which hits 100 first, I am constantly getting triggered. I step outside and my face feels like it has a thick blanket around it and I can't breathe through it.
My thing happened on a little rock called Guam. Real South Pacific. In the middle of August. The humidity was staggering there too. The physical feelings I am having now are what I seem to recall vividly, aside from the obvious others, about what happened to me. I was just curious if anyone else couldn't tolerate certain climates, had coping strategies (besides A/C as this isn't an option unfortunately), or maybe just wanted to tell me that I'm nutso, as Fonzie would put it, to have the weather doing this to me.

"When we go into battle, I will be the first to set foot on the field, and I will be the last to step off, and I will leave no one behind. Dead, or alive, we will all come home together." LTG Hal Moore, Jr., USA (Ret.)

#239125 - 07/20/08 06:40 AM Re: Weather as a Trigger [Re: LN3(SS)]
BJK Offline
MaleSurvivor

My mother liked it warm. The temperature in the house had to top 90 before she would even consider turning on the A/C. This is all well and good if the weather is dry, but when it's humid, as it usually is during the summer around these parts. 90 degrees is torture.

I run my A/C from snowfall to snowfall now, especially when I'm in the car. I can't help but think that it's somehow related to the fact that my mother liked it so hot.

Bryan

What the world needs now
Is some new words of wisdom
Like la la la la la la la la la.
-David Lowery

Having a friend who will keep a secret for you is worthless compared to a friend who won't keep a secret from you.

#239129 - 07/20/08 08:03 AM Re: Weather as a Trigger [Re: BJK]
CDavid Offline

I don't think it sounds crazy at all.

We did not have central air growing up...sleeping was always the hardest aspect of that, as I recall. Some of my most vivid memorries of the abuse are of him, next to my bed, me just drenched in perspiration.

Conversely, he had a window air unit in his bedroom (which we were not allowed to be in), so, walking into that room, being hit with that sudden burst of cold air is also part of it.

Not nutzo, I think...

:-)

CD

#239141 - 07/20/08 10:57 AM Re: Weather as a Trigger [Re: CDavid]
maxodiumpater Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA
Could someone explain the trigger thing to me? I'm new to MaleSurvivor and am trying to get a grasp of the lingo before I go to my first group meeting. Are we talking about things that just trigger feelings or trigger behavior or actions?

I can totally understand weather as a trigger for certain emotions. I can't even see an old fashioned radiator without wincing a little as I remember being tied to one as a child.

#239143 - 07/20/08 11:09 AM Re: Weather as a Trigger [Re: maxodiumpater]
CDavid Offline

I define "trigger" as something that invites an emotional or physical response.

:-)

CD

#239372 - 07/21/08 04:16 PM Re: Weather as a Trigger [Re: CDavid]
Syntaxed Offline

Loc: St Louis, MO
I was abused over a three year period in the middle of Florida (I used to joke that it was, literally, Hell, and that in the end all sinners were going to Central Florida). The abuse was generally year-round, but with my availability increased in the summer, the abuse during the summer was relentless, along with the heat. My abusers seemed to hate air conditioning, so almost all of my abuse occurred in hot houses or basements, with sweat dripping. They also, apparently, hated deodorant.

Summer is a HUGE trigger for me. In fact, trigger is too mild a word for what summer does to me. I am on mental disability because of what happened to me in the summer of 2006, and, as I write this, the temperature outside is near 100 and I feel like I am being crushed, even though I am in front of an a/c.

Also, due to the lack of hygiene, body odor is a huge trigger for me as well.

So, obviously, I don't think your feelings are crazy at all. Take care of yourself, stay where it's cool (if you can), and be aware of what's triggering you.

Peace.

http://sleepeatrepeat.blogspot.com

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.