Newest Members
Stormchaser, johnnyc717, bluebook, Roscoe, SJC
12314 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
blueturtle (46), David C (40), DavidC (40), Derdlecar (61), Hector (54)
Who's Online
3 registered (jq19712, md4e, 1 invisible), 11 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12314 Members
74 Forums
63366 Topics
443083 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#239044 - 07/19/08 10:04 PM Can you say NANNY-STATE?
Hauser Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: United States
http://www.wwnytv.net/index.php/2008/07/14/code-enforcers-crack-down-on-silent-menace/

Comments anyone?

Code Enforcers Crack Down On “Silent Menace”

Scott Banker always keeps a watchful eye on his 7 year old son, Ian, and his 8 year old niece, Miesha, when they play in their blue inflatable pool.

But he acknowledges he has yet to comply with state and local building code laws including the installation of an audible alarm and a barrier fence around the pool.

“I usually keep a pretty good eye on the pool, especially when they’re in it and even when they’re not in it…For the regulations, I think they’re a good idea,” said Banker.

Massena Code Enforcement Officer Gregory Fregoe has been busy this summer checking for violators.

He says any pool holding 24 inches of water or more, including inflatable blue pools, need a permit and should be surrounded by a 4 foot high locked fence or barrier.

The law also requires the pool be equipped with an audible alarm that sounds should someone fall in.

“The quick-set blue pools, which we call them, are a menace to the villages. They’re a danger because because people erect them with no concern about the code requirements,” said Fregoe.

Frego says the various sized blue pools are becoming “a silent menace” because they are cost friendly and easy to set up for the consumer, but they can also be risky and dangerous to youngsters and animals if local laws aren’t followed.

Statistics indicate that close to 200 children nationwide drown or are injured in swimming pools each year.

So far this summer, the village code enforcement officer has handed out warnings and information on how to comply with the law to more than 20 alleged first offense violators.

But a quick check found that complying with the code could end up being more costly than the price of the blue pool, especially when you factor in the $30 to $200 cost of the alarm, not to mention the cost of the fencing and other requirements.

Massena officials say before installing a pool, people should consult local and state codes or call the Code officer at 769-6803.

#239057 - 07/19/08 10:27 PM Re: Can you say NANNY-STATE? [Re: Hauser]
AndyJB2005 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Saint Paul, Minnesota
Anything that saves lives is good to me....*shrug* People wouldn't do it if there wasn't a code. They'll always think it couldn't happen to them; then they're kid, or the neighbor's kid, falls in and dies.

#239062 - 07/19/08 10:31 PM Re: Can you say NANNY-STATE? [Re: AndyJB2005]
CDavid Offline

Beyond the ethical and moral implications...there is always the incentive of avoiding the miliion dollar lawsuits...

Toddlers are drawn to water.

CD

#239069 - 07/19/08 10:44 PM Re: Can you say NANNY-STATE? [Re: CDavid]
BJK Offline
MaleSurvivor

Originally Posted By: CDavid

Toddlers are drawn to water.

And, in the case of my two year old niece, they are lightning fast and they are fearless.

Thank goodness for life jackets.

Bryan

What the world needs now
Is some new words of wisdom
Like la la la la la la la la la.
-David Lowery

Having a friend who will keep a secret for you is worthless compared to a friend who won't keep a secret from you.

#239075 - 07/19/08 10:55 PM Re: Can you say NANNY-STATE? [Re: BJK]
Hauser Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: United States
I thought I might share a comment from one of the reader's at this news station's web site:

"Here is an idea. How about teaching your kids to stay off of other people’s property. I don’t own a pool, but I don’ t let me kids wonder into other people’s property to jump in their pool. If I decide to place a pool in my backyard, why should I have to put up a fence, if I don’t want one. Teach your children to mind their own business, and to respect other’s property. This would eliminate the need to have a fence.

If you get a pool, teach your kids to swim. Here’s a suggestion, be a parent, and not a friend to your kids, maybe then there would be less drownings, and less need for the nazi’s to come out of the wood work and try and ruin our lives, through these petty regulations."

LOL

I guess you might be able to tell which side of this fence I'm on!

#239077 - 07/19/08 10:59 PM Re: Can you say NANNY-STATE? [Re: Hauser]
CDavid Offline

Oh, well, see...I thought the article said, "Village" :-) As in, community, as in, we all share a common goal...

Nevermind then...

:-)

CD

#239078 - 07/19/08 11:02 PM Re: Can you say NANNY-STATE? [Re: Hauser]
VN Offline
MaleSurvivor

Quote:

“I usually keep a pretty good eye on the pool, especially when they’re in it and even when they’re not in it…For the regulations, I think they’re a good idea,” said Banker.

That he only 'USUALLY' keeps a close eye on children, including his own, when they are in the pool is enough for me to agree with the regulation of it. But perhaps I am sensitive to anything that could easily prevent the death of a child.

VN

#239086 - 07/19/08 11:29 PM Re: Can you say NANNY-STATE? [Re: VN]
AndyJB2005 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Saint Paul, Minnesota
Alan, in a perfect world all kids would listen to what theyre taught by their parents. Sadly, this isnt a perfect world, and even the best kids run off sometimes and it only takes one time. Its obvious he doesnt have kids or has kids in his care sometimes.

#239105 - 07/20/08 12:32 AM Re: Can you say NANNY-STATE? [Re: AndyJB2005]
Still Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: 2.5 NATO Nations
The above-ground blue-pools they speak of in this article are impossible for a kid to climb into without the ladder installed. It can be removed in an instant. Its really the in-ground pools that kill. You gotta REALLY try hard to get a toddler to climb up and into the blue-pools.

Its typical though, Lorie and I lived in an appartment copmplex for a while and the town banned the use of grills within 20 feet of any multi-dwelling building. I asked firemarshall Bill why? "He said people dont know how to handle grills safely."

BTW: We just installed the very same pool yesterday...LOL. NH would never fk with someone using one of these.

The Aftermath Video

The Water Buffalo Song

#239116 - 07/20/08 02:56 AM Re: Can you say NANNY-STATE? [Re: AndyJB2005]
Barkabus Offline
MaleSurvivor

So shouldn't this law include every lake, pond and "water feature" that is more than 24" deep? Aren't they all just as dangerous whether man made or natural?

Ridiculous! edit: Oops! Was that a bark???

Edited by Barkabus (07/22/08 07:39 PM)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.