Newest Members
Lumpy, squeekinby, rhyoung, Jefferson22, OxfordArms
12369 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
aleja (40), bc22 (47), DavidMI (40), Forrest_Gump (39), Jay1946 (68), Malc4 (29), mpm01 (49), widpaulman (43)
Who's Online
3 registered (Bluedogone, 2 invisible), 18 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12369 Members
74 Forums
63575 Topics
444168 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#238815 - 07/18/08 04:52 PM Superchill Your Drinks!
Nyjah Offline
MaleSurvivor

So...noob.us has been on our web browsers a lot lately...it's a pretty funny site.

Anyways, here's a really cool trick on how to super chill your drink if you forget to put it in the fridge.

http://www.noob.us/miscellaneous/how-to-chill-a-coke-in-2-minutes/

#238869 - 07/18/08 11:11 PM Re: Superchill Your Drinks! [Re: Nyjah]
Trish4850 Offline
BoD Liaison Emeritus
MaleSurvivor<

Loc: New Jersey
I saw this on Myth Busters. My recollection is that the salt didn't add much to the chilling effect, but putting whatever you have in ice water, rather than just ice definitely made a huge difference. I can attest to it working since we've done it just before a BBQ.

#238872 - 07/18/08 11:27 PM Re: Superchill Your Drinks! [Re: Trish4850]
BJK Offline
MaleSurvivor

Anyone up for a little experiment?

Try mixing the water, ice, and salt like in the video, and then take the temperature of the ice bath after two minutes. Does it drop below 32 degrees F?

I don't have any ice or salt on hand, not to mention a thermometer, so I'm probably not the best choice to try said experiment. However, I can attest to the fact that an ice bath is the quickest way to cool down an item. In fact, our state health department requires it in restaurants for bringing cooked foods down to refrigerated storing temperatures.

Bryan

What the world needs now
Is some new words of wisdom
Like la la la la la la la la la.
-David Lowery

Having a friend who will keep a secret for you is worthless compared to a friend who won't keep a secret from you.

#238898 - 07/19/08 06:23 AM Re: Superchill Your Drinks! [Re: BJK]
Nyjah Offline
MaleSurvivor

I wanna try it. We're gonna go to the store later today and get some sodas. I'll let you guys know if it works!

#238903 - 07/19/08 08:04 AM Re: Superchill Your Drinks! [Re: Nyjah]
irishguy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Dublin, Ireland
I have tried this one before, after seeing it on Mythbusters, Adding salt to an icy water mix does make the water more chilled as it lowers the freezing point of the ice, the same reason why sea water freezes at a much lower tempretur than fresh water, fresh water will freeze at 0c but if you were to add salt the water would not freeze until approx -10c. which is the reason why salt is used on the roads in winter.

Edited by irishguy (07/19/08 08:12 AM)

#238910 - 07/19/08 09:54 AM Re: Superchill Your Drinks! [Re: irishguy]
BJK Offline
MaleSurvivor

Originally Posted By: irishguy
I have tried this one before, after seeing it on Mythbusters, Adding salt to an icy water mix does make the water more chilled as it lowers the freezing point of the ice, the same reason why sea water freezes at a much lower tempretur than fresh water, fresh water will freeze at 0c but if you were to add salt the water would not freeze until approx -10c. which is the reason why salt is used on the roads in winter.

Yes, we all know that a solution of water and salt (or any other solid that will disolve in water) will lower the freezing point, BUT....does putting salt in ice water that is sitting at room temperature actually lower the temperature of the water?

I think I'm going to have to go buy some ice, some salt, and a thermometer tonight because my understanding is that ice remains at the temperature at which the water froze even if the air around it cools.

What the world needs now
-David Lowery

Having a friend who will keep a secret for you is worthless compared to a friend who won't keep a secret from you.

#238911 - 07/19/08 09:55 AM Re: Superchill Your Drinks! [Re: Nyjah]
BJK Offline
MaleSurvivor

Originally Posted By: Nyjah
I wanna try it. We're gonna go to the store later today and get some sodas. I'll let you guys know if it works!

Don't forget your thermometer!

\:\)

Bryan

What the world needs now
-David Lowery

#238959 - 07/19/08 02:09 PM Re: Superchill Your Drinks! [Re: BJK]
irishguy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Dublin, Ireland
When crushed ice combines with equal amounts and water, the water's temperature usually cools to about 32 degrees Fahrenheit, the melting point of ice, and the freezing point of water.

Adding salt to the icy water, however, actually cools the water below 32 degrees fahrenheit, and there are two reasons why this phenomenon occurs.

1. Common table salt is also known as sodium chloride, a compound containing both sodium and chlorine. When salt dissolves in water, The water dispenses energy (in the form of heat) to break the bonds that hold the salt crystals together and to separate the sodium chloride molecules into sodium and chlorine ions (or charged atoms). As the water loses heat, it gets cooler.

2. In order for ice to melt, it must get heat from an outside source where the temperature is higher than 32 degrees Fahrenheit. In icy water, the ice can get this heat from the surrounding water. Once the temperature has reached 32 degrees Fahrenheit for the water and the surface of the ice, however, equllibrium is reached, and the ice ceases to melt.

In this equilibrium state, it is just as likely for individual molecules from the liquid water to unite with the surface of the ice crystal as it is for molecules on the surface of the crystal to cross into the liquid water.

Dissolving salt into the ice water disrupts this equilibrium, because the separate sodium and chlorine ions, with their electrical charge, attracts molecules from the liquid water, so that the water molecules form a shell around the ions. As more the water moecules connect to the ions, there are fewer water molecules to combine with the ice.

Water molecules from the ice continue leaving the ice crystal as easily as before, however, to unite with the liquid water, thereby melting the ice. Since melting requires heat, and the heat comes from the water, the temperature of the water drops as it uses heat to melt the ice. As more salt is added, the water temperature will continue to drop as long as the solution still contains solid ice.

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.