Newest Members
MJ545, Marant, BeingFound, journey4two, VASurvivor
12331 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
cricket453 (60)
Who's Online
2 registered (Greg56, 1 invisible), 19 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12331 Members
74 Forums
63409 Topics
443328 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#238312 - 07/15/08 12:46 PM Accute Stress Disorder
LW1527 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Salt Lake City Ut
FYI

Last week I asked the question about what the feeling was right after abuse. I received some excellent replies from my MS Brothers. I talked to my T today who is the head of the Trauma Clinic here. He told me it is called ACCUTE STRESS DISORDER where the person is exposed to events of threat or injury or, in our case, extreme violation to self or others. Directly following that event the person feels numb, detached or absent of emotions. His awareness of his surroundings is reduced and he becomes in a daze. He then could experience derealization, depersonalization, or dissciative amnesia.

I think this fits everything all of you talked about. At least there is a name for it now.

#238352 - 07/15/08 05:02 PM Re: Accute Stress Disorder [Re: LW1527]
Sans Logos Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: in my own world in pittsburgh,...
hey lance thanks for the feedback and the update

ron

#238358 - 07/15/08 05:27 PM Re: Accute Stress Disorder [Re: Sans Logos]
michael banks Offline

Loc: Mojave Desert, Ca
Lance,
I really appreciate the honesty that you have been showing in your sharing feelings and experiences with us. you sure have triggered alot of feelings that I have not felt in alone time. I wished that I felt as safe to share my inner feelings ( or even recognize them) as you do. All in time.
THANK YOU!
mike

"IT ought never be forgotten that the past is the parent of the future" John C. Calhoun

WOR Alumni Sequoia 2009

#238412 - 07/15/08 09:43 PM Re: Accute Stress Disorder [Re: michael banks]
Sans Logos Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: in my own world in pittsburgh,...
lance i like knowing your name

#238421 - 07/15/08 10:19 PM Re: Accute Stress Disorder [Re: LW1527]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
LW

This is a very useful and diagnostic set of information.

Acute Stress Disorder is not cute (inappropriate pun intended)

I don't intend to make fun of your post, LW. I just can't resist a pun.

Puffer

Edited by pufferfish (07/15/08 10:23 PM)

#238460 - 07/16/08 07:42 AM Re: Accute Stress Disorder [Re: pufferfish]
John Oarc Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Louisiana
I remember what I did right after the CSA, I went blank for a year. In looking back I can't remember that year after the event. I can remember the year before but not that year. After that year it's blurry and then three years later it becomes more clear. I know it got me feeling less or I should say I still have a hard time knowing what is going on with my body. I detatched from my inner self. I am not as good when it comes to knowing what is wrong or explaining my physical symptoms. It's like I lost myself.

Thanks for the post

#238465 - 07/16/08 08:33 AM Re: Accute Stress Disorder [Re: pufferfish]
LW1527 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Salt Lake City Ut
Puffer - Pun away! Life is too short to be too serious especially regarding this horrific and heavy subject.

- Lance

#238614 - 07/17/08 02:07 AM Re: Accute Stress Disorder [Re: John Oarc]
Syntaxed Offline

Loc: St Louis, MO
Originally Posted By: John Oarc
I remember what I did right after the CSA, I went blank for a year. In looking back I can't remember that year after the event. I can remember the year before but not that year. After that year it's blurry and then three years later it becomes more clear. I know it got me feeling less or I should say I still have a hard time knowing what is going on with my body. I detatched from my inner self. I am not as good when it comes to knowing what is wrong or explaining my physical symptoms. It's like I lost myself.

John,

I had the same experience. My abuse lasted three years, and until two years ago I couldn't remember anything about those years. I knew I'd been abused, but I minimized it. When I got slapped in the face two years ago with flashbacks, I saw what a nightmare those three years were. Interestingly, though, while I now remember the abuse of those three years, I still can't remember anything NOT related to the abuse (schoolteachers, friends, etc.). Like you, I remember things before and after, but, unless it's abuse-related, I have no memories of that three year period.

Also, I have lived with detachment my whole adult life. I have described it to people as feeling like I am inside a big space suit, being carried along by this body and this brain.

http://sleepeatrepeat.blogspot.com

#238615 - 07/17/08 02:08 AM Re: Accute Stress Disorder [Re: Syntaxed]
Syntaxed Offline

Loc: St Louis, MO
Lance,

Thank you for this post. It has helped me understand more of the feelings relating to my own abuse and PTSD.

Chris

http://sleepeatrepeat.blogspot.com

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.