Newest Members
J44, Anura, reynel5, smc1972, Moi
12418 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
camdon (30), camdon greenwood (30), Denise (72), getteddie (66), morgoth (24), Ric (66)
Who's Online
2 registered (finallyhere, 1 invisible), 28 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12418 Members
74 Forums
63765 Topics
445311 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#235282 - 07/02/08 02:09 PM Probably a whole 'can of worms' here.......
Leosha Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Right here
But here is an idea who's time has maybe come. I don't really know how the moderaters here are chosen. I know that when I was more active here, I was asked to become one, and declined because I did not feel I have the time always to really do the job. But I always assumed that was kind of how it worked, informally. Some moderater talks to his mod buddies, 'hey so-and-so might make a good moderater', they agree and make the offer. Kind of an 'old boys' network (which of course, wouldn't explain SAR or Trish! ;\) )

Perhaps we have reached a point of sophistication here where general nominating and voting on moderators may be something positive for the general membership here. Perhaps some ideas that could use some 'shaking up' would be shaken (not stirred!), and there would be more people who feel that their voices and concerns are heard more then they are with the anonymous, 'poof, so-and-so's a moderator now' method. Me, I'm barely here enough to know who even is a mod anymore, and just occasionally remember to watch for white smoke to see if we have a new one! ;\)

Just a thought from an old-timer.

Leosha

"Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted."~~~Martin Luther King Jr., 1963

#235315 - 07/02/08 05:22 PM Re: Probably a whole 'can of worms' here....... [Re: Leosha]
Sans Logos Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: in my own world in pittsburgh,...
here's my take on the whole ms bureaucracy thing.
heehee.....heehee... for what it's worth heeheee....heeheee....

evidently, when the need arises to ordain a new mod, someone is recommended as a candidate having eschewed a track record of just and equitable non-controversial and supportive, positive posting. sometimes there are stronger candidates than others, but usually what is available is invited. i don't even get the sense that there is a lot of formality around the selection process, but that it is rather random, with just a tiniest bit of decisive qualifying criteria. heck, early on there were no female mods (it was MALE SURVIVOR after all, but we have moved past that point, and it makes sense to have female representatives available to give service to those who find themselves at our doorstep, albeit indirectly by association thru marriage or other relationship). we even had a mod that was a capuchin, but he NEVER pressed his habit on the community in general. often times i wondered, wft? how does his order deal with this? then came the priest scandal.... and sean o'malley, a cap, was appointed archbishop of [gasp!] boston. the rest is his/herstory. what stricks me as very odd is that one of the current mods posts thru a christian fundamentalist position, and that seems to be ok.

back in the day i was asked to be a mod too, but i declined as i was just starting to work on a master's degree at the time and felt i would not have the time to rack up 4000 posts in a year. heeeheee....heeeheee. also, i would have never lasted because i would not have been able to wear the plastic perpetual smile mask for very long, given the sassyness of some of the posters. even tho i am aware that the members and guest here are suffering greatly from the implications of having been abused, it appears that many times they have not yet gained the wisdom of hindsight and speak out reactively. in many cases these are people who have not yet had the privilege of having met the real persons here at a retreat or a conference, and so the guests and members remain only anonymous people on whom they project their own unresolved anger. i have a tendency to speak my mind, and not just speak or reflect the mind of male survivor, and that would of course cause my days as a mod at ms to be shortly numbered.

besides, while i am grateful to the mods for their sense of patience, commitment and dedication all they do to keep things afloat, the reality is, their job is to cater to the agenda of the website, and since i have not been briefed personally on what that info actually is, i could only guess what that might be, and that would be pointless.

i love ms for what healing has come into my life because of it. i am eternally grateful for how they have corralled resources to help us in our healing. they gave me the arena where i could develop my pluck against the sob's who i allowed rule my inner/outer life for so many years. [i'm still working on softening that pluck...these things take time....] heeheee....heeeheee... however i would not aspire to get involved in the bureaucratic aspect of the organization.

ultimately, i can't forget that ms is an organization whose power base is structured vertically. and here we are, somewhere at the bottom of the pyramid, which is really fine; i like having the freedom to come and go as i please [to a pont], and really my character has no aspiration to be anymore than an everyman in this drama of male survivor.

long live male survivor!!!!

#235354 - 07/02/08 09:48 PM Re: Probably a whole 'can of worms' here....... [Re: Sans Logos]
dancr6 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: georgia
Heck guys I'd be satisfied to get the member status that seems so difficult for me to acquire.

#236303 - 07/06/08 01:08 PM Re: Probably a whole 'can of worms' here....... [Re: dancr6]
Ken Singer, LCSW Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Lambertville, NJ USA
Hey Ron:
Good synopsis of the process. I think I suggested you as a potential mod way back when. You are correct about the process pretty much.

We probably look for guys who are pretty along in their healing, post maturely and supportively, and have been around for a while. Although a few folks have asked to become a mod, it generally comes about every once in a while where we post a question about who do we think might be a good candidate. While the training process is not as well established as we would like, we want to provide the necessary tools and resources and work together as a team.

Although a few of the guys have met each other at WoRs or confs, or an occasional, "I'm going to be in XXX next month, want to get together", most have not met each other in person. We are trying to get together in Oct for a retreat at my house to do some work on issues that might be better done in person than by email.

It is a lot of work, especially when there are "food fights" or issues that require strong action to protect the integrity of the site and vulnerable members here. We don't get paid, there are no special perks (except maybe our pm folders hold more msgs than non-mod members.)

It's nice to get some compliments about the hard work. When we are putting in dozens of hours a week, sometimes neglecting our families, working out at the gym, relaxing, etc., it makes it kind of worthwhile. For me, it's great when I see someone coming in with all kinds of issues and growing to the point of being suggested to become a mod. That's sometimes a sense that maybe the site or us had something to do with the growth.

Dancr6, you can get the coveted red member avatar if you pay to join MS. Helps pay to run the site, not that the mods get anything for it.

#236997 - 07/09/08 01:35 PM Re: Probably a whole 'can of worms' here....... [Re: Ken Singer, LCSW]
dancr6 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Ken, I paid for membership several months ago, after making a donation when I first came on.

#237086 - 07/09/08 07:44 PM Re: Probably a whole 'can of worms' here....... [Re: dancr6]
EGL Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
dancr6 - I'm going to send you a PM about your membership so we can see if we can get it straightened out.

Thanks,
Eddie

#237141 - 07/09/08 10:06 PM Re: Probably a whole 'can of worms' here....... [Re: EGL]
EGL Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
How's that, Dan? \:\)

#238557 - 07/16/08 07:55 PM Re: Probably a whole 'can of worms' here....... [Re: EGL]
dancr6 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Excellent. Thanks!!!

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.