Newest Members
J44, Anura, reynel5, smc1972, Moi
12418 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
camdon (30), camdon greenwood (30), Denise (72), getteddie (66), morgoth (24), Ric (66)
Who's Online
3 registered (reynel5, aniceguy, 1 invisible), 28 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12418 Members
74 Forums
63762 Topics
445302 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6
Topic Options
#238008 - 07/13/08 11:45 PM Re: Resource Guides? [Re: AndyJB2005]
BJK Offline
MaleSurvivor

Originally Posted By: AndyJB2005
I don't have a source for this, but I've heard McDonald's is the leading deforester of tropical rain forest in the world. To make room for their cows?

Something doesn't click, though...isn't there cows in the states to use? lol.

I don't know. LOL

Actually, Andy, Mickey D's gets almost all of their beef from the United States. There are a few stores down under that use Australian beef, but for the most part, world-wide, McDonald's beef is USDA beef. Oh, and they don't own their own cows, either.

The real culprits as far as deforesting the rain forests are coffee growers and soybean growers. That's why I drink Pura Vida coffee. [begin shameless promo] Because it's 100% organic, 100% shade grown, and 100% fair trade. Plus, it's only about $12 a pound, and they are made by a non-profit organization that donates all of their proceeds to childrens groups around the world. [/end shameless promo] Oh, and that's also why I eat real meat instead of soy product.

What the world needs now
Is some new words of wisdom
Like la la la la la la la la la.
-David Lowery

Having a friend who will keep a secret for you is worthless compared to a friend who won't keep a secret from you.

#238009 - 07/13/08 11:47 PM Re: Resource Guides? [Re: Still]
BJK Offline
MaleSurvivor

Originally Posted By: Robbie Brown
BTW...if you really wanna hate WallyWorld...check out their HR Policies.

I was sitting in the hospital ER waitng area one day. There was a woman looking very serious and focused. I talked with her. She's a manager at the local Wally. Its her job to accompany any injured employee to the ER or Doctor.

I asked why? She could not tell me. I asked if the employee refused and wanted to go on their own time? She said that was simply not an option. What if I did not want you around me or the hospital at all while I was getting treated? She said it did not matter, Wally requires that a rep (of her title) be present and that she interview the injured employee before and after the ER visit.

She was a spooky bitch. Ex-military (which is all they hire for that particular position, according to her).

Just for the record, my employer has a similar policy. If anyone gets injured on the job, a manager has to accompany the employee to 1) get a drug test and 2) get fixed up at the ER.

Of course, if the injury is serious enough, the trip to the ER comes first.

Bryan

What the world needs now
Is some new words of wisdom
Like la la la la la la la la la.
-David Lowery

Having a friend who will keep a secret for you is worthless compared to a friend who won't keep a secret from you.

#238021 - 07/14/08 12:16 AM Re: Resource Guides? [Re: BJK]
hogan_dawg Offline

In Canada if you get injured on the job and the employer insists on a drug test, you can ask them if they would like to go get stuffed. Then, if they insist on accompanying you to the ER, you can repeat your request, as long as you preface it with 'please'. If they have cause to call the Police regarding your possible drug use, that's another matter. But drug tests are deemed quite intrusive things up here and not given lightly.

I wonder if that's because health care is tied to being employed in the USA, but not tied to employment here? Or if it's just because it's on the job injury? I mean, if it's an interview before the injury gets treated, that's preposterous and intrusive as it could delay treatment.

I just finished $1/2 million worth of treatment free so I'm really happy with the health care system here. I've paid $58 so far for nupogen (worth about $5K for c. 7 days) and that's it. \:\) Yet I've been told by Sloane Kettering that the same treatment in NJ would have cost $3/4 million USD and over $100K in co pay and other costs not covered by my wife's company health plan. Plus, they'd find a way to lose her as an expensive employee. We'd be broke.

So if you're ever wondering about the health care options that may come up in the next election, there are alternatives to employer sponsored health plans.

YMMV

Edited by hogan_dawg (07/14/08 12:29 AM)

#238022 - 07/14/08 12:37 AM Re: Resource Guides? [Re: hogan_dawg]
hogan_dawg Offline

Ah I got it. Liability and cost mitigation. They do the drug test to attempt to lessen their own liability, and put it on the employee, and they require you be verifiably treated in an ER so they may not be sued and their insurance provider not have to provide additional health services (and increase costs) because of complications arising from your negligence to treat yourself.

I got it. sorry for the bandwidth \:\)

Edited by hogan_dawg (07/14/08 01:03 AM)

Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.