Newest Members
JimHouston42, GKB, MorganWut, myrlin, AaronS
12466 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
dm13 (39), Jaso (34), liliana888 (43), Raju (32)
Who's Online
3 registered (3 invisible), 19 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12466 Members
74 Forums
64020 Topics
446789 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#237946 - 07/13/08 06:48 PM Re: Resource Guides? [Re: hogan_dawg]
hogan_dawg Offline

Your definition of Christian isn't bad! I'll think on it.

Yeah I appreciate Christ's message of forgiveness, for example, and I think I value it. I am not sure I try to follow it. Perhaps this is my spiritual undoing. I can think of situations where forgiveness can lead to peace in the forgiver. Those parents in that religious sect in the US who forgave the man who murdered their children - those people were exceptional in the regard you mention. I just don't believe I would wish to follow their example, no matter how noble and beautiful I believe it to be. But I get you. It's a good start on a definition. Maybe 'value' instead of 'follow', at least for this Christian.

Edited by hogan_dawg (07/13/08 07:01 PM)

#237948 - 07/13/08 07:37 PM Re: Resource Guides? [food for thot] [Re: Still]
Sans Logos Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: in my own world in pittsburgh,...
some food for thought to be taken with a grain of sugar:

the recent trend in this particular forum toward spitefulness as such belies a deep woundedness that seems to evoke behaviors expected to be found in schoolyards at least, and in prison yard among inmates at worst.

i went back to the beginning of forum just for curiosity's sake to see if there were any patterns emerging regarding the change in tenor of this particular forum.

in the entire history of the forum, no threads had been locked down prior to june 26 2008. now since that date there have been 4 threads locked. in less than a month.

there seems to be a rise in contrariness beginning about a year ago, last july. do your own investigating and see what de/con-lusions you reach.

ask: am i a part of the problem or the solution?

am i a participant in shaping the rise in the healing curve of the community by sharing experience strength and hope for the edification of others? or have i made myself the subject of my own narrative by enforcing my own viewpoint?

am i starting healing circles, or talking in circles?

just some food for thought...... thanks for hearing my words,

peace, and the grace of healing to all the brothers in recovery,

ron

ps: my hat goes off and my heart goes out to all those heroes of this organization who have found a way to eclipse their own subjectivity as center of the male survivor web world, and turned their own swords into ploughshares, verifying for us that recovery is possible, ever reminding us that it is not done by grabbing on, but by letting go of whatever chains are binding us to our own particular millstones.

#237949 - 07/13/08 07:38 PM Re: Resource Guides? [food for thot] [Re: Sans Logos]
hogan_dawg Offline

Deleted by ModTeam

Edited by ModTeam (07/13/08 07:43 PM)

#237956 - 07/13/08 08:27 PM Re: Resource Guides? [food for thot] [Re: hogan_dawg]
hogan_dawg Offline

The deleted post was an excerpt of jokes by Unitarians (you can PM me for a website), about Unitarians, intended to be self deprecating and bring levity and poke fun at myself because I happen to have attended that congregation. I now attend in a different location.

The Moderator removed it because it was deemed not constructive.

I'm posting this so Bryan and other readers will know that the removed post was in no way a rebuttal or anything nasty like that - just something meant to make you laugh (at me and my kind).

Best regards, Dawg

#237957 - 07/13/08 08:33 PM Re: Resource Guides? [food for thot] [Re: Sans Logos]
Still Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Never Sugar Mountain
Originally Posted By: Sans Logos

in the entire history of the forum, no threads had been locked down prior to june 26 2008. now since that date there have been 4 threads locked. in less than a month.

LOL...Ron, I feel like my days in school when teacher use to tell us that "you are the WORST class I've ever seen in my 80 years of teaching." It seemed like we heard that all the way from grade 1 to 12.

I went back and looked at this forum thru time as well. Though you see no threads currently locked-down, some have been removed all together and some have moved to other places. There have been fights here before. I agree however that the atmosphere has changed radically.

There's a bar you can visit in a near-by fishing village. If you go there looking for a fight, you'll get a doozy of one. If you go there NOT seeking a fight, but only a drink with friends, you'll get a doozy of a fight. Spirituality & Survivors Forum feels like that bar these days.

#237965 - 07/13/08 09:03 PM Re: Resource Guides? [Re: hogan_dawg]
BJK Offline
MaleSurvivor

Hogan,

I appreciate your candidness in finally being able to come to some sort of a compromise here, even if it might be tenuous.

I've been trying to figure out a way to say how I feel without being offensive, and the Wal-Mart analogy was the best I could come up with.

To hijack a bit, the biggest reason I hate Wal-Mart (there are many) is because they became America's largest retailers based on an advertising campaign that featured the slogan "Made in the USA". Fifteen years later, Wal-Mart has evolved into America's largest importer of foreign goods. Meanwhile, people still view Wal-Mart as a "good ol' boy" American corporation.

What the world needs now
Is some new words of wisdom
Like la la la la la la la la la.
-David Lowery

Having a friend who will keep a secret for you is worthless compared to a friend who won't keep a secret from you.

#237966 - 07/13/08 09:05 PM Re: Resource Guides? [Re: BJK]
AndyJB2005 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Saint Paul, Minnesota
Plus they destroy small towns, small businesses and employ (virtually) slave labor.

#237968 - 07/13/08 09:09 PM Re: Resource Guides? [Re: BJK]
Still Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Never Sugar Mountain
Originally Posted By: BJK
... the biggest reason I hate Wal-Mart (there are many) is because they became America's largest retailers based on an advertising campaign that featured the slogan "Made in the USA". Fifteen years later, Wal-Mart has evolved into America's largest importer of foreign goods.

Yeah....well, McDonalds slogan for many-many years was "Burger, fries and a coke....and change back from your dollar."

What caused that to change?

#237976 - 07/13/08 09:39 PM Re: Resource Guides? [food for thot] [Re: Still]
Sans Logos Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: in my own world in pittsburgh,...
yea rob, indeed seems to be an odd alchemy at work but not transmuting us to a higher form, but somehow working in reverse.

what strikes me as most odd, is that with all our apparent good will intentions, a spirituality forum ideally has great potential to transmit a kind of 'light'. when we put all our candles together an ensuing increase in luminosity might be anticipated, but we seem to be creating a cloud of doom ill reflecting the highest and best interests of any belief system.

if nothing else, watching the negativity cancer blossom and grow has definitely been entertaining, in a jerry springer kind of way.

LOL

keep the faith brothers,

ron

#237978 - 07/13/08 09:40 PM Re: Resource Guides? [Re: Still]
BJK Offline
MaleSurvivor

Originally Posted By: Robbie Brown
Originally Posted By: BJK
... the biggest reason I hate Wal-Mart (there are many) is because they became America's largest retailers based on an advertising campaign that featured the slogan "Made in the USA". Fifteen years later, Wal-Mart has evolved into America's largest importer of foreign goods.

Yeah....well, McDonalds slogan for many-many years was "Burger, fries and a coke....and change back from your dollar."

What caused that to change?

Inflation!

And besides, living in a highly agricultural area where beef is a pretty important commodity, the fact that McDonald's is the worlds single largest consumer of United States beef makes me a supporter!

And a stockholder.

Bryan

What the world needs now
Is some new words of wisdom
Like la la la la la la la la la.
-David Lowery

Having a friend who will keep a secret for you is worthless compared to a friend who won't keep a secret from you.

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.