Newest Members
Lumpy, squeekinby, rhyoung, Jefferson22, OxfordArms
12369 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Avyi (49), cross29min (59), Dartel (50), ernie (70), flightmedic38 (40), jggab (42), kev (66)
Who's Online
5 registered (Bluedogone, lapchinj, CafeMan, 2 invisible), 15 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12369 Members
74 Forums
63568 Topics
444130 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#237921 - 07/13/08 04:03 PM Re: Resource Guides? [Re: Dewey2k]
AndyJB2005 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Saint Paul, Minnesota
I'm against the closing of this forum...there's good uses for it yet... \:\)

#237923 - 07/13/08 04:05 PM Re: Resource Guides? [Re: AndyJB2005]
Dewey2k Offline
MaleSurvivor

Again, discussion of faith is good, but using that discussion to marginalize another person's beliefs is not.

And for what it's worth, Rob, I'm interested in hearing the Buddhist perspective as well.

Edited by Dewey2k (07/13/08 04:05 PM)

#237926 - 07/13/08 04:16 PM Re: Resource Guides? [Re: Still]
AndyJB2005 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Originally Posted By: Robbie Brown
I have NO idea what (still) what Buddhism thinks comes after death and what determines the results.

Like any faith, there's differences between sects in Buddhism...but the general belief is that there is no afterlife until you reach enlightenment. You are continually reincarnated until you reach enlightenment, then you are in Nirvana, or the end of suffering, on Earth.

The answer to life after death is not clear, due in large part to the Buddha's aversion to metaphysics and speculation. When he was asked such questions, he merely replied that it was "incomprehensible, indescribable, inconceivable, unutterable."

I guess us Buddhists live in the present and don't really think about what "might be" a lot. *shrug* \:\)

But if I were asked, I'd say personally, I don't know if I believe in the reincarnation cycle. I believe we can be reincarnated, but I believe that it is a choice we make or a choice we choose not to make...and that the afterlife is pure love ...nothing but...

I don't believe in Hell or Heaven, I believe the only Hell after death is seeing the mistakes you've make, the hurt you've caused others and yourself, and how much you missed, etc etc and regretting that, and not being able to go back. I think regret could be worse than flames....

Peace and Love. \:\)

#237927 - 07/13/08 04:20 PM Re: Resource Guides? [Re: AndyJB2005]
AndyJB2005 Offline
MaleSurvivor

I think we learn from everything we see after death though, regrets or not....it's not about punishment, it's just how the universe works...

#237928 - 07/13/08 04:29 PM Re: Resource Guides? [Re: AndyJB2005]
MarkK Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Denver, CO
if there's anything after death to see...

Kirkridge - October 2008
Alta - September 2012
Alta - September 2013

#237929 - 07/13/08 04:36 PM Re: Resource Guides? [Re: AndyJB2005]
AndyJB2005 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Oh I forgot to mention Karma...it is what determines if you are reborn or not.

Karma has commonly been considered a punishment for past bad actions, but karma is neither judge nor jury. Rather, it is simply the universal law of cause and effect that says every thought, word and act carries energy into the world and affects our present reality. Karma can also refer to the "work" we have ahead of us, which includes lessons from both our past and present lives.

#237930 - 07/13/08 04:43 PM Re: Resource Guides? [Re: MarkK]
Still Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: 2.5 NATO Nations
Thank you Andy. I just learned a WHOLE lot in that one inquiry.

The Aftermath Video

The Water Buffalo Song

#237937 - 07/13/08 05:49 PM Re: Resource Guides? [Re: Still]
BJK Offline
MaleSurvivor

I have a friend who works at Wal-Mart. We've been friends for a very long time. I have watched this friend pull himself up from the gutter, from the very brink of survival, to make himself into a respectable human being, and he has watched me do the same.

Before he was hired by Wal-Mart almost a decade ago, he spent the previous ten years jumping from job to job. He worked construction, he worked at convenience stores, and he worked in restaurants. He couldn't hold a job more than a couple of months, but then he cleaned himself up. The next thing we knew, he had passed a drug test and was working full time at Wal-Mart.

At this point, I think it should be noted that I hate Wal-Mart. I have several different reasons for doing so, but for the sake of discussion, let's just focus on the fact that I hold stock in Target and Best Buy.

My friend knows that I hate Wal-Mart, and I am aware that he is a company man who stands by everything Wal-Mart does. However, he is aware that I don't hate him because he works and shops at Wal-Mart every chance he gets. I don't hate him because he is, for all practical purposes, a part of the Wal-Mart organization. Furthermore, I haven't made a single generalization about him because of his status as a Wal-Mart employee and customer.

I think it's pretty dang important to understand this differentiation when talking about organizations as opposed to people who belong to those organizations.

Bryan

What the world needs now
Is some new words of wisdom
Like la la la la la la la la la.
-David Lowery

Having a friend who will keep a secret for you is worthless compared to a friend who won't keep a secret from you.

#237940 - 07/13/08 06:08 PM Re: Resource Guides? [Re: Still]
BJK Offline
MaleSurvivor

Originally Posted By: Robbie Brown

I sincerely hope i did not write anything that falls under spiritual abuse.

In my eyes, you haven't, Rob. And also, please try to remember my definition of what the term "Christian" means to me:

"A Christian is a person who tries to follow the teachings of Christ even if that means breaking the rules of authority inherent in the denomination he or she chooses to belong to."

What the world needs now
Is some new words of wisdom
Like la la la la la la la la la.
-David Lowery

Having a friend who will keep a secret for you is worthless compared to a friend who won't keep a secret from you.

#237944 - 07/13/08 06:42 PM Re: Resource Guides? [Re: BJK]
hogan_dawg Offline

Yes Bryan you make a very important point.

I'm glad you don't hate the people even if you don't like the organization. I respect the distinction you make. If anything, I have empathy for Wal Mart workers - they very often have a hard time of it. I'm hoping part of your feelings about Wal Mart are 'about' the workers and how they're treated.

I promise you, and anyone reading this thread, the moment they make one Christianity with uniformly held dictates and symbology for all Christians to follow, I'll promise, here and now, to disavow Christianity and if I fail to keep that promise, I will pose for MS readers buck naked, save for wearing a Sombrero, a cheap suit jacket and high heels (a sexy red, and shiny), so all may mock me and toss at me various rotted legumes. I will also wash TestingWaters car and pay for the wax.

They, Christian sects, are as varied as the varieties of Buddhism, like the colors of the rainbow, the varieties of peoples in a store, and the pebbles along the shore of the sea.

Just my not so poetic take of your metaphor. Thanks for the post.

Edited by hogan_dawg (07/13/08 06:47 PM)

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.