Newest Members
Anony_mous, Drew6991x, Miro, jj843, The Abyss
12364 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Bear (42), BoyNoMore (56), Daniel_05 (40), James Landrith (44), john kay (41)
Who's Online
3 registered (lapchinj, 2 invisible), 16 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12364 Members
74 Forums
63546 Topics
443993 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#237054 - 07/09/08 04:57 PM Re: IS MORAL CORRECTNESS OUTDATED ? [Re: BJK]
jcf1957 Offline

Loc: North Of The 49th Parallel
Well BJK; it was you who insinuated that my view was better than anybody else. Your choice not to believe in God is your problem, Is it necessary for me to respect that ? I'm truly sorry; I'd like to say I can but; then I would be denouncing that there is any such existence of God. Why is it you fail to contemplate that there are numerous people on the M.S. site that do believe in God.
Do you deride them because they do. If you want to disown the fact that God exist then do you think everybody should accept your mind-frame ? Is it an assault to you that people here have a devotion toward God ? I have a difficult time trying to figure out the Moderators who sit on this panel. Not unlike shrinks, Moderators here are stereotypyed in their spiritual thinking when it comes to trust issues. That is the fact of the matter. trust factors in a big role in all this.

Today well lived...makes every tomorrow a vision of Hope.
Anonymous

#237056 - 07/09/08 05:02 PM Re: IS MORAL CORRECTNESS OUTDATED ? [Re: BJK]
Dewey2k Offline
MaleSurvivor

The purpose of the spirituality forum is not to promote any one religion or spirituality over another. All members are to be respectful of others beliefs and realize that their particular beliefs are not necessarily the beliefs of others, and no person's beliefs trump the beliefs of another here on this site. This place is neutral ground. Please treat others and their beliefs with the same respect you wish to receive for yourself and your beliefs in return.

#237058 - 07/09/08 05:07 PM Re: IS MORAL CORRECTNESS OUTDATED ? [Re: jcf1957]
AndyJB2005 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Saint Paul, Minnesota
I don't see being non-Christian as a "problem," as you said, but a variation on being human.

I think not respecting someone because they don't believe in God is the exact opposite of what Jesus taught. In the Bible, Jesus respected prostitutes and all kinds of people that in his day were degenerates. He gave love unconditional. I see that very little from Christians nowadays, or indeed any faith. \:\( Atheist included.

While there are many here that do believe in God, I stress that Christianity isn't the defining point of being normal here ...and non-believers aren't the "fringe."

We're all in this together. Let's act like it! \:\)

Peace and Love \:\)

#237067 - 07/09/08 06:34 PM Re: IS MORAL CORRECTNESS OUTDATED ? [Re: jcf1957]
BJK Offline
MaleSurvivor

Originally Posted By: jcf1957
Well BJK; it was you who insinuated that my view was better than anybody else.

Well...the title of your thread is "IS MORAL CORRECTNESS OUTDATED?", and you based your entire thesis on the Ten Commandments. That can only lead to one conclusion.

Quote:
Your choice not to believe in God is your problem, Is it necessary for me to respect that ? I'm truly sorry; I'd like to say I can but; then I would be denouncing that there is any such existence of God.

That's quite a leap of logic. You're saying that by respecting the fact that I don't believe in God, you are submitting there is no God? Quite to the contrary, most Christians I engage in theological discussion are quite accepting of my atheism. In fact, many claim that their very acceptance of my atheism is a central part of their faith. Why can't you accept it? I'd be willing to wager it is for the same reason why it took me decades to come to terms with my own atheism.

Quote:
Why is it you fail to contemplate that there are numerous people on the M.S. site that do believe in God.

I don't fail to contemplate that. In fact, I embrace it.

Quote:
Do you deride them because they do.

Nope. I only object when someone claims that atheism is immoral as a result of their religious beliefs.

Quote:
If you want to disown the fact that God exist then do you think everybody should accept your mind-frame ?

Absolutely not. I only expect people to understand that morality does not come from God, for without that understanding, I am inferior.

Quote:
Is it an assault to you that people here have a devotion toward God ?

Nope. It is only an assault to me when people say that I have no morality because I have no God.

What the world needs now
Is some new words of wisdom
Like la la la la la la la la la.
-David Lowery

Having a friend who will keep a secret for you is worthless compared to a friend who won't keep a secret from you.

#237068 - 07/09/08 06:38 PM Re: IS MORAL CORRECTNESS OUTDATED ? [Re: Dewey2k]
BJK Offline
MaleSurvivor

Originally Posted By: Dewey2k
The purpose of the spirituality forum is not to promote any one religion or spirituality over another. All members are to be respectful of others beliefs and realize that their particular beliefs are not necessarily the beliefs of others, and no person's beliefs trump the beliefs of another here on this site. This place is neutral ground. Please treat others and their beliefs with the same respect you wish to receive for yourself and your beliefs in return.

I have been on the defensive this entire thread, and I have treated jcf1957 with the utmost of respect. In return, I am told I am not an equal because my atheism defies the Ten Commandments. This is truly mind boggling to me. I truly feel for the millions of men and women across the world who agree with me but are afraid to speak out because of the shame they feel for their own lack of faith. I could not be having this discussion today had I not spent the majority of the last year working on my self esteem...learning to accept myself for who I am dispite the fact that I refuse to believe in sky fairies.

Bryan

What the world needs now
Is some new words of wisdom
Like la la la la la la la la la.
-David Lowery

Having a friend who will keep a secret for you is worthless compared to a friend who won't keep a secret from you.

#237070 - 07/09/08 07:08 PM Re: IS MORAL CORRECTNESS OUTDATED ? [Re: BJK]
Dewey2k Offline
MaleSurvivor

BJK, my comments were aimed at all participants, not you or anyone else in particular. If you felt that way, it was not my intention; I was trying to remind everyone exactly what the aim of the forum is.

#237084 - 07/09/08 07:41 PM Re: IS MORAL CORRECTNESS OUTDATED ? [Re: AndyJB2005]
EGL Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Originally Posted By: AndyJB2005
We're all in this together. Let's act like it! \:\)

Peace and Love \:\)

I like your attitude! \:\)

#237088 - 07/09/08 07:48 PM Re: IS MORAL CORRECTNESS OUTDATED ? [Re: AndyJB2005]
WalkingSouth Offline
MaleSurvivor

Originally Posted By: AndyJB2005
I think not respecting someone because they don't believe in God is the exact opposite of what Jesus taught. In the Bible, Jesus respected prostitutes and all kinds of people that in his day were degenerates. He gave love unconditional. I see that very little from Christians nowadays, or indeed any faith. \:\( Atheist included.

While there are many here that do believe in God, I stress that Christianity isn't the defining point of being normal here ...and non-believers aren't the "fringe."

I too like the way you think, Andy. Thank-you for that.

Let's not forget that Christ was put to death by the most religious and moral people of his time...

John

#237092 - 07/09/08 07:56 PM Re: IS MORAL CORRECTNESS OUTDATED ? [Re: WalkingSouth]
hogan_dawg Offline

Brian if spiritual matters upset you so, and you don't believe in God, what the hell are you doing picking fights in a Spirituality section of the board?

Ignore the section if you don't like it, fuck.

Ask the Admins to make a section just for you called 'Atheism', cause now you're actually stalking this section of the board for the sole purpose of finding threads that upset you and then trashing the beliefs of the people who actually believe in matters spiritual.

Edited by ModTeam to remove personal attack.

Edited by ModTeam (07/09/08 08:09 PM)

#237096 - 07/09/08 08:03 PM Re: IS MORAL CORRECTNESS OUTDATED ? [Re: hogan_dawg]
ModTeam Offline
MaleSurvivor

Time to bring this one in for a landing.

Eddie, aka EGL
For the ModTeam

Private messages sent to this account are checked irregularly due to personnel and time constraints. Please send messages to one of the moderators for the forum that is concerned by user name, or if there is no named moderator, send a PM to any moderator.

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.