Newest Members
SiegmundNYC, TheGreatWhat, MyNameIsPaul, serenity38, vivo
12486 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Can-tex (45), cbchorn (41)
Who's Online
3 registered (cant_remember, tbkkfile, 1 invisible), 13 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12486 Members
74 Forums
64149 Topics
447593 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#237033 - 07/09/08 03:58 PM Re: IS MORAL CORRECTNESS OUTDATED ? [Re: BJK]
jcf1957 Offline

Loc: North Of The 49th Parallel
Bring it on friend. Spiritually and Morality is a War neither you or I can possible win. Say what you will. Humanistic babbling amounts to naught. God has the final say no matter how much your interested in rebuking that a Supreme Being exist and in charge of the course of every primitive human life.

Edited by jcf1957 (07/09/08 03:59 PM)

Today well lived...makes every tomorrow a vision of Hope.
Anonymous

#237035 - 07/09/08 04:14 PM Re: IS MORAL CORRECTNESS OUTDATED ? [Re: jcf1957]
BJK Offline
MaleSurvivor

Originally Posted By: jcf1957
Bring it on friend. Spiritually and Morality is a War neither you or I can possible win. Say what you will. Humanistic babbling amounts to naught. God has the final say no matter how much your interested in rebuking that a Supreme Being exist and in charge of the course of every primitive human life.

Well, until God gives us his final say, all I ask is that you be a little more respectful of those who you degrade by forcing your morality on others.

What the world needs now
Is some new words of wisdom
Like la la la la la la la la la.
-David Lowery

Having a friend who will keep a secret for you is worthless compared to a friend who won't keep a secret from you.

#237037 - 07/09/08 04:17 PM Re: IS MORAL CORRECTNESS OUTDATED ? [Re: jcf1957]
jcf1957 Offline

Hey; I got days, months, years, to argue any negative view that offends my rational on anything that opposes theological reasoning.
Unless a Moderator feels compelled to shut this thread down I'm in for the long term.

Anonymous

#237039 - 07/09/08 04:26 PM Re: IS MORAL CORRECTNESS OUTDATED ? [Re: BJK]
Dewey2k Offline
MaleSurvivor

This thread is degenerating into personal attacks and that is not conducive to the constructive discussion of principles and beliefs. If a respectful tone can not be maintained by everyone involved in this thread, it will be pulled.

#237040 - 07/09/08 04:26 PM Re: IS MORAL CORRECTNESS OUTDATED ? [Re: jcf1957]
jcf1957 Offline

I'll be away for a while but I'll challenge anything you guys want to throw at me. I am adamant in my resolve.

Anonymous

#237044 - 07/09/08 04:30 PM Re: IS MORAL CORRECTNESS OUTDATED ? [Re: jcf1957]
Dewey2k Offline
MaleSurvivor

Just curious...

What resolve is that? What is the aim of this thread, and what connection does it have to the link you have posted?

#237047 - 07/09/08 04:37 PM Re: IS MORAL CORRECTNESS OUTDATED ? [Re: jcf1957]
BJK Offline
MaleSurvivor

Originally Posted By: jcf1957
Hey; I got days, months, years, to argue any negative view that offends my rational on anything that opposes theological reasoning.
Unless a Moderator feels compelled to shut this thread down I'm in for the long term.

Well....you could start by explaining how your view on morality is better than anyone else's. How, for instance, is it immoral that I choose to not believe in your God?

What the world needs now
-David Lowery

Having a friend who will keep a secret for you is worthless compared to a friend who won't keep a secret from you.

#237048 - 07/09/08 04:38 PM Re: IS MORAL CORRECTNESS OUTDATED ? [Re: jcf1957]
MemoryVault Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: NJ
I drafted about four posts on this thread at different times over the last day or two, and (correctly) backed off before I hit Submit. I was angry, or thought I had something brilliant to say, or just wanted to get into the discussion, or wanted to dazzle everyone with how right I was. (Yeah, right!)

But whatever I had to say had nothing to do with the reason I am here, which is to get and give support as we all work together to cope with what happened in our past and the things we're going through now.

I am a humanist -- And when the fog of my anger and confusion clears, that means that I respect, love, and even worship the resiliance, courage, and strength of every person here, though it seems to me that we all live in our own worlds. Some of those worlds have a god; some don't.

I love the times when we reach across the barriers that separate us and are just there for each other.

And I worry about the threads that divide us. Not the ones where we offer loving challenges and invitations to grow, but the ones where we want to be right. I'm not immune to that--not by a long shot.

Of course spirituality can be a vital part of healing, but I want to ask:
Is the argument...the fight over what YOU said, and what HE said, and did you understand my point?...is that argument just a distraction? We've all got our positions on politics and religion pretty solidified by now--much easier to read off our own talking points than to go into the scarier stuff:

"I'm scared."
"I believe in God, but I feel really abandoned right now."
"I don't believe in God, but I need some source of hope."

What are the real questions you're struggling with? How can we help?

David

Edited by MemoryVault (07/09/08 04:40 PM)

#237052 - 07/09/08 04:51 PM Re: IS MORAL CORRECTNESS OUTDATED ? [Re: BJK]
AndyJB2005 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Saint Paul, Minnesota
It's my opinion that most monotheistic religion's foundations are based on morality, but not self-morality.

Instead of focusing on the self and their relationship with God, instead of changing themselves to lead a better and more right (to them) life, some of them feel they need to change everyone around *them* to *their* way. They paint whole lots of people with the same brush calling them sinners so they don't have to change themselves to feel right (to them), but it is *others* that should change.

They feel it's their "duty" to "convert" others -- which means shouting it from the rooftops. And in this modern day, people are less willing to take faith at face value anymore, so some of them are feeling threatened -- and what does a cornered animal do? They attack!

I feel this is why so many are increasing their damnation speech and bringing out the things I certainly don't like about Christianity, and that I don't think Jesus would've liked either.

I think Jesus would denounce his 21st century church. It's no longer about loving Him and each other, it's about weeding out the sinners and throwing them in the pit.

Morality is such a objective thing. To me, using God's name to blast people is immoral and disrespectful to God (if there is one) and to Christians. \:\)

I think using a religion to separate instead of bring together is immoral.

People's faith is such a personal thing, and I don't think anyone should tamper with others' lives to make themselves feel more rightious.

I find when I want to convince someone of something, it is always best to lead by example, not by force. \:\)

Love and Peace \:\)

#237053 - 07/09/08 04:55 PM Re: IS MORAL CORRECTNESS OUTDATED ? [Re: MemoryVault]
BJK Offline
MaleSurvivor

David,

Somewhere, someone is lurking on this site for teh first time struggling with the option of whether or not to "break the secret". As they peruse this forum, they may come across a "sprituality" thread where someone is spreading the myth that a lack of a belief in a higher power means that said person does not have any concept on the notion of morality. That may chase that person away or worse.

I am committed to stopping abuse in all of its forms, and I can't help at this point but to come out and say that spreading the above preconceived notion is another example of abuse.

Bryan

What the world needs now
-David Lowery

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.