Newest Members
Jerone, teba, Serpenta, mojo, James M
12114 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
chrisH (34), Malaki619 (32), worcester2003 (51)
Who's Online
6 registered (royjay, pufferfish, atari_kid86, I Want 2 Thrive, 2 invisible), 75 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12114 Members
73 Forums
62503 Topics
438064 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#236739 - 07/08/08 08:35 AM IS MORAL CORRECTNESS OUTDATED ?
jcf1957 Offline

Loc: North Of The 49th Parallel
Every where you turn these days being politically correct is an action that most people are tremendously proud of.
Even the words Rape and Sexual Abuse can have double meaning and diminished to something less than what it actually is. Unfortunately, when we dwell on being politically correct instead of morally correct we are inadvertently trashing our own ethics.

There are so many people in the world today that claim that they are religious. There are many kinds of religion in the world today some are based on a nice idea of how societies should live, and others are based on historical facts and eyewitness accounts referred to as>

Today well lived...makes every tomorrow a vision of Hope.
Anonymous

#236768 - 07/08/08 12:02 PM Re: IS MORAL CORRECTNESS OUTDATED ? [Re: jcf1957]
Sans Logos Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: in my own world in pittsburgh,...
oy vey, here we go again!

#236784 - 07/08/08 12:46 PM Re: IS MORAL CORRECTNESS OUTDATED ? [Re: Sans Logos]
BJK Offline
MaleSurvivor

Depending on which version of the Ten Commandments one prescribes to, I actually only agree with about half of them.

Bryan

What the world needs now
Is some new words of wisdom
Like la la la la la la la la la.
-David Lowery

Having a friend who will keep a secret for you is worthless compared to a friend who won't keep a secret from you.

#236851 - 07/08/08 08:42 PM Re: IS MORAL CORRECTNESS OUTDATED ? [Re: BJK]
hogan_dawg Offline

JCF1957 I don't get it.

You say political correctness "threatens to wipe out the very idea of morality." I won't agree or disagree. It's just too huge a topic to resolve on a bulletin board.

One burning question that hits me when I read your post is 'What precisely is the relation between your text and male survivors of sexual abuse?'

I don't see a clear relation.

Good luck, Dawg.

Edited by hogan_dawg (07/08/08 09:48 PM)

#236933 - 07/09/08 08:19 AM Re: IS MORAL CORRECTNESS OUTDATED ? [Re: hogan_dawg]
jcf1957 Offline

I am not in the least surprised by many of the responses in this thread. Perhaps I should have expected worse. That being said; I have to respect everybody's freedom of speech.
Hogan; I will agree that ("Morality") is too huge a topic to cover in any bulletin board; particularly when everyone has their own personal preconceptions of what morality means to them.
People can argue blue in the face until the world comes to an end on morality issues. However; one fact remains, there will always be one separate distinction that sets today's modern definition of morality apart. God's Morality and Humanistic Morality.

Actually; morality does play a huge role with male survivors of sexual abuse. As Victims we are deeply ingrained in today's Rape Culture. Most of us would be appalled to think that "indirectly"
we are partly responsible for feeding today's Rape Culture even though as victims, our rape or sexual abuse affliction was no fault of our own. I would encourage you to read the following link.

http://www.mrcforchange.org/challenging_rape.html

Edited by jcf1957 (07/09/08 08:21 AM)

Anonymous

#236952 - 07/09/08 10:58 AM Re: IS MORAL CORRECTNESS OUTDATED ? [Re: jcf1957]
BJK Offline
MaleSurvivor

Originally Posted By: jcf1957

People can argue blue in the face until the world comes to an end on morality issues. However; one fact remains, there will always be one separate distinction that sets today's modern definition of morality apart. God's Morality and Humanistic Morality.

For this statement to be true, you must first prove that God exists in some other fashion than in the preconceived notions of the men who created Him. Otherwise, there is only one definition of morality, and that is Humanistic Morality.

Those of us who do not believe in the Bible, and those of us who feel that the Bible is an intolerant message of amorality, take offense to such a notion that God's Morality could, in any way, be superior to the notions of morality that we have discovered on our own. For many of us, overcoming the fallacy that morality comes from some kind of a higher power was an essential part of recovery.

Just because your understanding of "God's Morality" is based upon prehistoric mythology doesn't make it superior, or any different, than those of us who base our morality on good ol' fashioned common sense.

Bryan

What the world needs now
-David Lowery

Having a friend who will keep a secret for you is worthless compared to a friend who won't keep a secret from you.

#236956 - 07/09/08 11:14 AM Re: IS MORAL CORRECTNESS OUTDATED ? [Re: BJK]
AndyJB2005 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Saint Paul, Minnesota
Isn't God's morality intrinsically tied to humanistic morality? Since God seemingly never speaks for Himself (depending who you feel wrote the Bible), it's up to man, or humanity, to decide what He is moralistically wanting and meaning. There's a bias in everything someone says -- which is why in college papers, you rarely can use YOUR thoughts. \:\)

Peace and love. \:\)

#236965 - 07/09/08 12:03 PM Re: IS MORAL CORRECTNESS OUTDATED ? [Re: AndyJB2005]
MarkK Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Denver, CO
Originally Posted By: AndyJB2005
it's up to man, or humanity, to decide what He is moralistically wanting and meaning

is that the far-left or far-right that should decide?

;\)

#236967 - 07/09/08 12:09 PM Re: IS MORAL CORRECTNESS OUTDATED ? [Re: MarkK]
BJK Offline
MaleSurvivor

Originally Posted By: MarkK
Originally Posted By: AndyJB2005
it's up to man, or humanity, to decide what He is moralistically wanting and meaning

is that the far-left or far-right that should decide?

;\)

Neither. Morality isn't "decided", rather, it lies in the eye of the beholder.

Bryan

What the world needs now
-David Lowery

#236968 - 07/09/08 12:33 PM Re: IS MORAL CORRECTNESS OUTDATED ? [Re: BJK]
jcf1957 Offline

[/quote]

Just because your understanding of "God's Morality" is based upon prehistoric mythology doesn't make it superior, or any different, than those of us who base our morality on good ol' fashioned common sense.

Bryan [/quote]

God's Morality Based Upon Prehistoric Mythology ?

Wow; Have I missed something ? This is a lame ignoramus statement if I ever heard one. Typical answer for an atheist.

Anonymous

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, SamV 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.