Newest Members
0128, jeremywickers, JScott12, TMatti2, DaiseyLady
12502 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
innocence (60), pablo999 (53)
Who's Online
4 registered (GT13568, 3 invisible), 23 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12501 Members
74 Forums
64189 Topics
447919 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#236737 - 07/08/08 08:09 AM ADHD, Bipolar disorder, behavior problems
hogan_dawg Offline

Hey I was just wondering - since kids who get sexually assaulted, we all pretty much agree, are often traumatized, I'm wondering if there's a real tangible link between trauma and bipolar disorder, ADHD or behavior problems in school.

Does anyone else have a history of bipolar disorder, ADHD and behavior problems in school, or is it just me? \:\)

Also, how did your family handle it?

Mine kept me far from psychologists or PDocs, even doctors. I'm sure you can imagine why that might be so. \:\) But it didn't stop them from pinning an ADHD diagnosis on my all by themselves.

My bipolar disorder was diagnosed years ago and is valid I think, but I'll bet there are other trauma victims who have the same issues.

Edited by hogan_dawg (07/08/08 09:36 AM)

#236752 - 07/08/08 11:00 AM Re: ADHD, Bipolar disorder, behavior problems [Re: hogan_dawg]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
I have an article from Science News to the effect that much adhd is due to emotional trauma. I'll try to find the reference. For now I'll just say it.

I had undiagnosed adhd and a reading problem from early abuse.

The reading problem was like visual stuttering. (I'm using comparison to build a concept, I didn't stutter). When I would look at words I would kind of lock up. It was never worked with by any professionals or teachers or parents. It was MY problem and nobody helped. It took years for me to work my way out of it. I was bright enough I could get through school with this problem.

The adhd came along before the widely pulicized information today. So here again, I didn't get any help or anything. My mind would just go "bye bye" in class. Somehow here also I was somehow able to get by. But knowing how this is handled today, I would probably have been diagnosed as adhd

Puffer

Edited by pufferfish (07/08/08 11:02 AM)

#236788 - 07/08/08 12:57 PM Re: ADHD, Bipolar disorder, behavior problems [Re: pufferfish]
michael banks Offline

Loc: Mojave Desert, Ca
MY teachers always told my parents that I was an underachever and that I liked to day dream in class. I remember in first and second grade they sent me to classes for kids with special needs. My father would ridecule and ask me what my proplem was and why I couldn't do as well as the other kids.
I can be in a large group of people physically but mentally I am a thosand miles away.
mike

"IT ought never be forgotten that the past is the parent of the future" John C. Calhoun

WOR Alumni Sequoia 2009

#236960 - 07/09/08 11:26 AM Re: ADHD, Bipolar disorder, behavior problems [Re: michael banks]
CDavid Offline

My brother, older brother, had what was then called a "behavior disorder." In retrospect though, it seems that his, was the only "normal" response to what was going on around us.

Later in life, a younger brother played Spin the wheel, see what you got with the PDocs, as you call them. He came away, it seemed, with each visit and each failed new medication, a new and different diagnosis. Every thing from Schizophrenia to AADD.

Children, I think, are often times barometers for what is going on in their families.

As far as, "How did my family handle it?" Uhm, I did not get to the dentist until I was twenty-one...something like punching out a Vice Principal fell further down on their list of priorities. You know? When you are so deeply embedded in denial...it is always some one else's fault. Blame was their game and shame was when yer beer fell out from between yer knees because someone stopped too fast in front of you.

:-)

CD

#236961 - 07/09/08 11:36 AM Re: ADHD, Bipolar disorder, behavior problems [Re: CDavid]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
Here is a letter to the editor of Science. It should be noted that the letter stimulated the receipt of letters offering a contrary viewpoint.

Science 26 January 2001:
Vol. 291. no. 5504, p. 595
DOI: 10.1126/science.291.5504.595B

Letters
Questioning the Treatment for ADHD
My role in the Ritalin (methylphenidate) class action suits is mischaracterized by Eliot Marshall in his News Focus article "Planned Ritalin trial for tots heads into uncharted waters" (17 Nov., p. 1280). He says that I "signed up as an expert witness," but my role extended beyond that. Although I am not at present an expert in these cases, my books and scientific publications (1) provided the detailed basis for the legal allegations, and I helped formulate the original legal filing for the cases. Furthermore, my reasons for opposing the use of stimulant medication for the treatment of so-called attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) go beyond the absence of a biological basis for the putative disorder.

First, stimulant drugs are dangerous. One prospective study indicated that the use of pre>

#237041 - 07/09/08 04:26 PM Re: ADHD, Bipolar disorder, behavior problems [Re: pufferfish]
1islandboy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: washington
My family has a history of depression and alcoholism. At what point has my abuse affected me? Don't answer. I've given up on answering this question long ago.

For me, all I need to focus on is the solution. I have given up on anti-depression medication. The side effects are to great and it cuts me off from my emotions.

From what I've figured out with the segments of emotional, spiritual, physical and and mental, that my gateway is physical. tapping into the rest is easy after I take that angle.

My massage therapist uses, progressive deep muscle therapy. Her discipline involves Shiatsu (Oriental bar therapy) It is a ancient form of bodywork brought to us through buddist monks.VERY DEEP, soothing strokes are applied to all muscles of the back using hands and foot pressure to milk the muscles,open chakras and release toxins. My job through this process is simply to go deeper than the pain.

The best revenge is living a good life,

island

p.s. I suffer from memory issues, i.e. concerning names and dates..It just doesn't register.

My memory is pen and paper.

Edited by 1islandboy (07/09/08 05:32 PM)

#238990 - 07/19/08 05:20 PM Re: ADHD, Bipolar disorder, behavior problems [Re: 1islandboy]
ak Offline
MaleSurvivor

I was told to be attention deficit years before the abuse. There isn't family history of it. My parents tried to put me onto some medication that make me sick, I finally said I could do it on my own way. And that was it, I just had to find my own ways of dealing with reading and school and such, because attention problems would not be used as excuse for poor grades. I did not do so great in school, but I never failed nothing.

Andrei

#239688 - 07/23/08 07:10 AM Re: ADHD, Bipolar disorder, behavior problems [Re: ak]
Trucker51 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Denver, CO
Hogan:

I had huge behavioral problems in school, and finally got kicked-out several times between 9th and 12th grade. It took 15 credit hours to graduate from my high school and by my senior year I had 4 & 1/2 credits. My senior year yearbook (1975) I have one nicer photo as a senior, and another with my leather and famous scowl on as a junior, in the same book. My 10th grade year I missed 30 full school days and also missed 179 individual class periods, according to the school's computerized attendance report, which was way worse than my 9th grade year when I might have skipped 20-25 classes. After I got kicked-out my senior year I worked my way into a gas station night manager position that payed almost triple what minimun wage was in 1974. For a while I had a good laugh.

I tried college and majored in excessive partying. The movie Animal House was really about some people that I knew in college in the mid-1970s. Needless to say my GPA started-out at a 2.0 with a failing grade in a no-credit course, and progressed to a 1.6 GPA my 2nd semester, and a 0.0 my last semester there. Then came 10 years of working, never for very long at any one place. When I first began seeing my first therapist I had several of the symptoms of Borderline Personality Disorder and a few of the PTSD symptoms. After 3 good years and seven badly unstable years following my first divorce, I was diagnosed with Depression and prescribed Prozac and later Desipramine which I stayed on for most of the next year. A year later, at the age of 40, I was diagnosed with ADD, and was put onto Welbutrin, which I only stayed on for a few months, as it conflicted with my driving professionally.

Lucky you weren't my stepdad's first wife. Since Bipolar Disorder isn't curable through faith-healing she was declared insane and institutionalized. She escaped, and they caught her at some little seaside lounge only after she had incurred a substantial debt with the bartender. And then it was a locked ward after that. I still don't think that there was anything wrong with her that a little medicine couldn't have rectified. Just her luck that they didn't believe in medicine or the medical community.

And like the other truck driver, I was also told that I was a "Gifted Underacheiver", and was put through certain special classes which didn't seem to help much after my abuse started when I was in first grade. Gradually over time I became very distrusting and eventually didn't or couldn't go to or stay in school. My family's reaction was near constant prayer sprinkled with the occasional guilt trip over my lack of faith. (So basically they did nothing and I got no help, medically or otherwise, from my family, and their constant guilt/shaming caused still more problems). That was their reaction, along with a bit of enabling.

If you have read the 2nd half of my story you know that I spent almost 5 years in individual therapy and two years in in-person groups and still struggle a bit with symptoms of ADD, or is it dissociation, when I mentally wander off in the middle of a conversation? Sorry, I didn't hear one word of your last three sentences, I was busy thinking about something else that you said before that reminded me of something else.... That happens to me sometimes. Even though they are talking to me from 4 feet away. This is an ADD symptom according to a video on ADD from Hazelden that my last therapist borrowed and forgot to give back. Another thing that I would do was miss substantial blocks of text reading books. I flunked their ADD exam with flying colors!!! I just couldn't seem to concentrate on watching for little pinpricks of light to appear so I could click the button, and somehow missed almost half of the test. That was almost 11 years ago.

The same place had to give me the MMPI test 5 times before they would believe that I was telling the truth in my answers. I only answered 2 questions, once each, differently out of the 567 questions on the test. They just didn't seem to like that profile, I guess. Nor did the FAA like the results from my pschological test after I had scored 92.2 on the air traffic controller's exam, and that was the last that I ever heard from them. Maybe that one is for the better though. Could you imagine me saying Northwest 328, cleared to land, runway 23 right, just after I said Southwest 238, cleared for immediate departure, runway 23 right, no delay!!! God, it would be so easy to screw that up. Oh sorry Northwest, I meant 23 Left, oh sorry Southwest, especially after Southwest calls back from 23 Left!!! It would be enough to drive someone to drinking. It is hard enough driving a big truck in heavy traffic. Imagine everything moving constantly at 140-180 knots and 200+ departing with an occasional prop-job at only 100 knots??? What happens if there is an emergency and you have 22 on your inbound approach screen??? Better call the right numbers everytime.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Mark

Anyhow, no, you are not the only one either.

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.