Newest Members
PaulnMA, andrewmartin, Aurigny, Luther, LuckyCharm
12252 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Beyond Abuse (51), dona (55), JoMiFa (35), norbrill1 (62), RubyRoberts (62)
Who's Online
4 registered (4 invisible), 41 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12252 Members
73 Forums
63111 Topics
441339 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#236107 - 07/05/08 04:34 PM Re: My New Hobby [Re: Trucker51]
BJK Offline
MaleSurvivor

I grew up in North Dakota...if I could only go back in time to buy some of the old finds that were hiding in shelter-belts across the Red River Valley and beyond when I was a kid....

My grandparents had an old '59 Cadillac stashed away in their shelterbelt alongside a Ford pickup from the late '40's. Back in 1984 or so, the bodies were still in good shape, though I distinctly remember the interiors needing a lot of work. When I visited back in 2001, the bodies were so rusted out, they had sold the Caddy, and the Ford was so rusted out, it was hard to tell what it once was. I also remember a farmer who was selling a 1949 Lincoln Cosmopolitan back in the mid-90's for $250. I have no clue if it ran or not, but with the condition the body was in, who really cares?

Oh well.

Bryan

What the world needs now
Is some new words of wisdom
Like la la la la la la la la la.
-David Lowery

Having a friend who will keep a secret for you is worthless compared to a friend who won't keep a secret from you.

#236128 - 07/05/08 06:11 PM Re: My New Hobby [Re: BJK]
Wyclef_Bakr Offline

Loc: Doorstep of Thugz Mansion.
Wow, looks like a really cool hobby. I think I may go and get Ny some models to put together...any suggestions for a beginner?

Edited by Wyclef_Bakr (07/05/08 06:11 PM)

#236254 - 07/06/08 01:53 AM Re: My New Hobby [Re: Wyclef_Bakr]
BJK Offline
MaleSurvivor

Originally Posted By: Wyclef_Bakr
Wow, looks like a really cool hobby. I think I may go and get Ny some models to put together...any suggestions for a beginner?

Well...that depends on a lot of things.

What kind of interests do you have? Are you into history? Cars? Boats? Planes? Movies? There are scores of different types of models to choose from....from Star Wars to Star Trek....from motorcycles to NASCAR vehicles to monster trucks to muscle cars....from battleships to destroyers to aircraft carriers...from fighters and bombers to biplanes and commercial crafts....to troop carriers to tanks, anti-tank guns, artillery, and anti-aircraft guns. You name it, and it is out there somewhere. The first thing to do is to pick a subject matter that really interests you, and go from there.

Once you have a subject, the trick is in finding a good first model. Are you interested in painting? If you aren't at first, chances are quite high that you will eventually. I used to hate painting, but it has slowly evolved into my favorite part of putting a model together. I especially like detailing the interiors of cars, where there is usually a lot of detail, but small mistakes tend to go unnoticed. If you want to start out painting right away, I recommend starting with one of the snap-together kits. They are generally a lot cheaper, which means you can go to town with one of the Testors paint kits that come with a wide assortment of colors without having to worry about creating anything you plan to keep. If you don't want to start painting right off the bat, it's good to know that most model kits have skill levels on them these days, and are rated from 1-3. The 1's are generally snap kits, 2's are generally the easier glue kits, and the 3's are the most challenging. If you want to glue right away, go for a 2.

As far as beginner pointers, I cannot emphasize enough how important it is to use the smallest amount of glue possible. The way the glue works is it actually melts the plastic, and when you put on just a small dap, the melted plastic from two different parts dries to form a single part. A properly glued joint is actually stronger than the plastic around it. When too much glue is used, then the melted parts of the plastic aren't allowed to come into contact with each other. The result is that the glue itself becomes weak and brittle when it dries, and if the joint breaks, you'll have to scrape all that dried glue away to start again. Plus, I cannot also emphasize enough to scrape away all chrome plating and paint before applying glue. Always make sure you have direct contact between plastic parts.

As far as absolutely essential beginner materials, I have to include a hobby knife to scrape away paint/metal plating and toothpicks to apply glue.

Good luck in your endeavors!

What the world needs now
-David Lowery

Having a friend who will keep a secret for you is worthless compared to a friend who won't keep a secret from you.

#236483 - 07/07/08 04:22 AM Re: My New Hobby [Re: BJK]
Trucker51 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Denver, CO
A buddy from high school went down to Georgia in 1975 and picked-up an old 57 Bel-air 4 door for $600 that still ran. He put in his folk's garage for 18 months and re-did it bit by bit. When it was done it had a high-performance engine with the carbs sticking through the hood, was candy apple red and all of the chrome and interior was restored. He took it to a few shows and a few months later sold it for $25,000.

He works for one of the big public utilities around Detroit as a lineman these days. And he still restores cars on the side. He just sold a 67 Firebird for almost $50 grand at an auction last summer. He finishes about one car per year as a little side-business and hobby.

All that it takes is a little extra work.

Mark

#236728 - 07/08/08 06:44 AM Re: My New Hobby [Re: Nyjah]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Originally Posted By: Nyjah
Hah. I thought this was a real car.

Me too! I was stunned when I saw you were talking about a model. Really nice work. I used to go nuts building ship models - those big ones like Old Ironsides and the Cutty Sark. The greatest fun for me was doing the rigging. I could lose myself in that work for hours. And you're right. Haste is the big enemy.

My Dad was into restoring the real thing, Bryan. He would find an old junker somewhere and then buy it and restore it for resale - then start all over again. His coolest restoration was a 1924 Chevrolet. My grandfather found it for him in a barn somewhere - turns out it's the only one left in private possession and now it's in a museum in Italy somewhere.

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#236871 - 07/08/08 10:25 PM Re: My New Hobby [Re: roadrunner]
BJK Offline
MaleSurvivor

1934 Ford "Model 40" Coupe

I can't believe this turned out as well as it did given how many issues I had with it. I think I spent more time repairing this one than I spent actually assembling it.

I really dig vintage automobiles, and by "vintage", I mean pre-World War II.

This bad boy has been outfitted with a small block Chevy V8 bored out to 386 cubic inches with custom Edelbrock rocker arm covers and an Edelbrock double pumper carburator. Everything else you see here is stock with the exception of the wheels.

The front end was characterized by the upright "Model 40" radiator style. The stock wraparound fender was used instead of the custom teardrop style for the sake of comfort. Oh, and those aren't side-view mirrors mounted on the doors. They are actually lights.

The side view tends to be the most impressive view of the Ford "Model 40" design. The hubcaps were from a 1950 Mercury. An item of note on this Ford is that there are no door handles on the inside. I tried to get a good picture of the interior, but the angle of light through the small windows wouldn't allow for anything decent to turn out. The interior is pretty plain anyway. There is no radio, and the spedometer and gas gauge are the only two instruments on the driver's side panel. Hey, at least they have a glove compartment in this two-seater!

There is even style in the rear end of this beast. Gently sloping countours are accentuated by the rear taillights that stick out like some kind of horror sequence in an Aliens flick. At any rate, I am fully aware that the license plate is mounted on the wrong side. I'll call that my own personal touch.

Next up is a 1969 Camaro. The first coat of black paint is currently drying, and it looks sweet.

Bryan

Edited by BJK (07/08/08 10:26 PM)

What the world needs now
-David Lowery

#236875 - 07/08/08 10:48 PM Re: My New Hobby [Re: BJK]
CDavid Offline

Bryan,

Cool...

When I was in high school they had weekly contests for the model builders in school. They had a display case, displayed all the entries and they were voted "Best" by the shop teachers at the time.

I think my trust issues really got in the way...as far as model building goes. I just had no faith that that "drop" of glue was going to hold one piece to the other. The, uhm, more is better thinking, just didn't work with models. :-)

My best friend at the time had a tackle box that he kept all his model supplies in. Using thread for spark plug wires, braided wire for radiator and heater hoses...oh, the hours he put into them.

Thanks for sharing it...

CD

#236887 - 07/08/08 11:16 PM Re: My New Hobby [Re: CDavid]
BJK Offline
MaleSurvivor

I've tried my hand at the "detail details" to no avail, though there is always the possibility of the future. I remember once, as a kid, trying to melt the sprues into tiny threads so I could wire the spark plugs to the distributor...the starter to the solenoid to the battery...etc. I ended up burning myself and creating a sticky mess.

They actually sell detailing parts on ebay and in hobby stores these days. Yes, you can go and buy spark plug wires and the like for your models.

Of course, on this 1934 Ford Coupe that I just finished, I can't for the life of me figure out where the battery would be. Kind of reminds me of an old friend who tried his hand at restoring a 1940's model Dodge 3/4 Ton Pickup back in the day. He spent a lot of time on the engine, pulled it out, rebuilt it along with the tranny, put it back in, and he couldn't figure out where the battery cables were supposed to go...so he cut 'em and mounted a battery shelf under the hood. There was plenty of room. Hell, you probably could have fit a couple of dead bodies under that hood along with the massive engine he used. At any rate, the thing still wasn't quite ready to fire up yet when he moved across town. He had to get a tow truck and a dolly to move it, and lo and behold, when he pulled it out of the garage, the old battery was left sitting on the floor with what was left of the battery cables still attached. It wasn't until a couple of months later when he climbed in behind the steeering wheel to try to fire it up for the first time when he realized where the battery was all that time....when his feet went completely through the floorboards.

Yeah, 40 years of battery acid tends to do a little bit of damage.

What the world needs now
-David Lowery

#236892 - 07/08/08 11:33 PM Re: My New Hobby [Re: Trucker51]
1islandboy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: washington
O.K. Now I'm inspired,

I'm going to put together the Red Baron funny car.

All guns blazing (Yes,the car has guns mounted on both sides).

island

p.s. I've got a die cast collection, of piggybank cars. People will throw ANYTHING away.

#238849 - 07/18/08 09:26 PM Re: My New Hobby [Re: 1islandboy]
BJK Offline
MaleSurvivor

Originally Posted By: 1islandboy
O.K. Now I'm inspired,

I'm going to put together the Red Baron funny car.

All guns blazing (Yes,the car has guns mounted on both sides).

island

p.s. I've got a die cast collection, of piggybank cars. People will throw ANYTHING away.

Best of luck to you! Feel free to post pics when you're done.

\:\)

Bryan

What the world needs now
-David Lowery

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.