Newest Members
PaulnMA, andrewmartin, Aurigny, Luther, LuckyCharm
12252 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
closerthenveins (26), Nvolpicelli (24), Sven (19)
Who's Online
5 registered (don64, pufferfish, 3 invisible), 44 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12252 Members
73 Forums
63113 Topics
441368 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#235493 - 07/03/08 02:04 PM I'm Back
LW1527 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Salt Lake City Ut
I needed a break. This site gets overwhelming and triggering for me at times. I just needed time out. I realized while I was gone that I had begun to make progress in the way of feelings. It wasn't until I went back to my therapist a few days ago that I realized that I had shut down and wouldn't talk to him. I had disconnected my feelings. I got this book that Trucker told me to get called Abused Boys by Hunter. This guy wrote about how important support groups were to recovery. I was just getting in touch with my anger and with the feelings of just being a piece of crap to be tossed around. I was just getting in touch with feeling like a male prostitute except that I didn't do it for money, that I remember. Things did't go well in therapy. My T told me that I am hanging onto the feelings and pain andthat I had to let go. I told him that I didn't know how to let go. It isn't like I want to feel this way, I just do. So, I came back so that I can get back in touch with my feelings again. No, Trucker, I am not on the hard stuff. I'm being good. I think that I will not let this website comsume me, though. I think it is easy to get sucked into a lot of situations here. So, that's it. I think.

#235494 - 07/03/08 02:25 PM Re: I'm Back [Re: LW1527]
Trucker51 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Denver, CO
After you get through Mic's book and understand most of it, why don't you take a look at Mike Lew's book VICTIMS NO LONGER, or even take a look on Amazon for reviews and related titles. Mic has about a dozen books on related topics.

Anyway, glad to see that you are back and doing so well.

Mark

#235497 - 07/03/08 02:36 PM Re: I'm Back [Re: Trucker51]
BJK Offline
MaleSurvivor

Mic Hunter's book is the perfect "first" book on male sexual abuse.

However, I strongly urge you to tread with caution should you decide to read Lew's "Victimes No Longer". The book was heavily triggering for me, and the very soothing tone in which he wrote it only made me not realize how triggering it was until the effects were pretty harsh. Altogether, it is by far the best book on the subject available on the market.

Bryan

What the world needs now
Is some new words of wisdom
Like la la la la la la la la la.
-David Lowery

Having a friend who will keep a secret for you is worthless compared to a friend who won't keep a secret from you.

#235498 - 07/03/08 02:37 PM Re: I'm Back [Re: Trucker51]
Barkabus Offline
MaleSurvivor

I see that there are people on Amazon selling used copies of "Victims No Longer" for .01 cent (plus $3.99 S/H).

Mike

#235504 - 07/03/08 03:21 PM Re: I'm Back [Re: BJK]
LW1527 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Salt Lake City Ut
I read Lew's book a couple of years ago. It was very triggering for me and I gave it away. I'm leary about reading books. This one from Hunter seems pretty good, except I don't like reading victim stories. I think that's creepy and I hate it. So, I try to skip over those. Thanks for the warning. Any other insights, let me know.

#235524 - 07/03/08 04:23 PM Re: I'm Back [Re: LW1527]
BJK Offline
MaleSurvivor

I didn't read the victims' stories in Hunter's book either. The first half, though, is well worth the read.

What the world needs now
Is some new words of wisdom
Like la la la la la la la la la.
-David Lowery

Having a friend who will keep a secret for you is worthless compared to a friend who won't keep a secret from you.

#235527 - 07/03/08 04:32 PM Re: I'm Back [Re: Barkabus]
pufferfish Online   embarrased
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
Hunter: Abused Boys. The book for $.01 and postage is $3.99. Total $4.00. They make their money in postage.

http://www.amazon.com/Abused-Boys-Neglec...15117404&sr=1-1

When I just checked this the price had already fluctuated upward. Probably some guys on this list bought the $.01 copies.

Yes I also had trouble reading the "stories" part. They fed back into a kind of depression. It didn't help me. I usually don't have trouble with the survivor stories in this MS site

Still a good deal if the book is in reasonable shape. I get books this way all the time.

Puffer

Edited by pufferfish (07/03/08 04:41 PM)

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.