Newest Members
JayNL, Robert Barrett, lostsoul824, beatcook, MassGuy
12279 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
cainrafael (28), GL (67), JohnP725 (66), Lloydy (61), Marie-TwoOfUs (35)
Who's Online
0 registered (), 18 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12279 Members
73 Forums
63185 Topics
441810 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#235073 - 07/01/08 09:04 PM 4th of July question
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
Question:

Is anybody triggered by 4th of July fireworks?

Or by the crowds at 4th of July?

Does anybody have any memories from childhood about 4th of July?

Puffer

#235125 - 07/01/08 11:01 PM Re: 4th of July question [Re: pufferfish]
AndyJB2005 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Saint Paul, Minnesota
I had really bad ear troubles as a little kid and the fireworks hurt me like crazy. I remember people saying I cried so much but everyone just thought I was scared, I think, not in pain.

When i was older it didn't hurt anymore though and I really enjoyed them. One time I remember some blew up on the stand and the firetruck came!

I hate big crowds ANYWHERE, not just forth of July. I'm not triggered by the actual fireworks though.

#235176 - 07/02/08 12:06 AM Re: 4th of July question [Re: AndyJB2005]
Still Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: 2 NATO Nations
Extreme memories...I can replay 4th of July events in DVD-like clarity from age 4-on.

Some of those memories are actually quite majical for Robbie.

Still's Globs

New Video

#235196 - 07/02/08 02:47 AM Re: 4th of July question [Re: pufferfish]
BJK Offline
MaleSurvivor

I tend to get a rather nasty case of "noodle-nerves" on and around July 4th. I hate fireworks because they startle me, and being startled is a trigger.

What the world needs now
Is some new words of wisdom
Like la la la la la la la la la.
-David Lowery

Having a friend who will keep a secret for you is worthless compared to a friend who won't keep a secret from you.

#235255 - 07/02/08 11:13 AM Re: 4th of July question [Re: BJK]
KENKEN Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: NOTHERN COLORADO
I am not good at all in crowds, anywhere at any time. I get triggered to the point I have to run and hide, when I see little boys with glasses between the ages when my perp. brother abused me.

It brings back to me the horrible memories of my abuse. I start to sweat and the tears flow from my eyes. My inner child is so ashamed of himself during those years. He just wants to hide and wants the memories to go away.

So, yea, I'm not planning on doing much of anything this weekend, that is with lots of people. My partner and I will probably go for a ride into the mountains and be by ourselves.

Ken

From the Movie: Antwone Fisher

***WOR ALUMNI SEQUOIA MARCH 2008***

#235383 - 07/02/08 11:24 PM Re: 4th of July question [Re: KENKEN]
Trucker51 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Denver, CO
You ever try watching from a bit of distance with a small crowd? I grew-up on a medium-sized lake. We always used to run the boat over to watch the fireworks at the country club from some distance off-shore. Or even here you can see a lot from the tops of a few hills. There is a public hike-up hill open-space type of deal which is about a mile south from the Vista Ridge fireworks. Not much crowd to deal with there, either.

The best fireworks that I ever saw were the City of Cleveland's program at Edgewater Park the summer of 1988. They had five different launch points for a show that lasted over an hour. The city had the West Shoreway closed for the event, and my first wife and I just sat by ourselves on our blankets on the top of the concrete freeway median divider. Which gave us a half-mile headstart when it was time to leave.

So if you find a spot a little back from the crowd the noise won't be as bothersome, and neither will the crowd affect you as much. I'll see you there, at the hilltop, about dusk. BYOB.

Mark

#235457 - 07/03/08 11:07 AM Re: 4th of July question [Re: pufferfish]
LN3(SS) Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: MD
I get quite triggered by fireworks...albeit for different reasons. The crowds are just a pain in the ass that I don't do well with anyway. The sad part is that, as a kid, I used to love the fireworks shows. Oh, to be a kid again.

"When we go into battle, I will be the first to set foot on the field, and I will be the last to step off, and I will leave no one behind. Dead, or alive, we will all come home together." LTG Hal Moore, Jr., USA (Ret.)

#235809 - 07/04/08 03:55 PM Re: 4th of July question [Re: LN3(SS)]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
I have a particularly happy memory about the 4th of July.

I was 10 years old. My father only rarely took me anyplace or did anything exciting.

For this 4th he bought a bunch of fire crackers of different sizes. Then he took my sister and me way out in the country (it was illegal in the city) and he lit off fire crackers for about an hour. He put them under tin cans and made them fly way up in the air. All of this was to my great delight.

Puffer

#235824 - 07/04/08 06:21 PM Re: 4th of July question [Re: pufferfish]
Wyclef_Bakr Offline

Loc: Doorstep of Thugz Mansion.
The 4th was never a happy time for me after the abuse began, before that there were some happy moments. It was so long ago that they are hard to remember.

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.