Newest Members
jmr2191, autumn, tammy m, TheConqueror, Bloom
12425 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
dphoenix1701 (37), jaywiz2009 (69), mato (57)
Who's Online
4 registered (don64, 3 invisible), 31 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12425 Members
74 Forums
63805 Topics
445547 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#235348 - 07/02/08 09:24 PM My New Hobby
BJK Offline
MaleSurvivor

In trying to recapture my childhood, it seems as if I have outgrown Transformers. I need something a little more satisfying, so I decided to try my hand at another of my hobbies I had as a kid: Plastic model building.

This is my first attempt in almost 20 years. It is a 1965 Ford Mustand 2+2 Fastback. The body paint as well as some of the detailing is a little shoddy, but I'm still learning. However, I do have to say that this absolutely blows away any attempts I made back as a child.

The front view depicts two of my favorite aspects of the Mustang body style. The slightly recessed black grille accented by the Mustang emblem gives most Mustangs their true personality.

The side view shows a couple of other characteristics of the Mustang that I have always liked. The red, white, and blue Mustang emblem along with the metallic emblem that declares what is under the hood, in this case a 286. The metal alloy wheels were stock in 1965 with a middle hub accent that matched the body color.

The interior was a cushy white leather along with the Mustang wood-grain steering wheel. The radio was an AM jobbie, and the Mustang emblem accented the right bottom part of the glove compartment. The interior especially brings back memories of my own 1975 Mustang I drove as a teenager. There wasn't nearly as much chrome, but the shape of the instrument panel as well as the shifter and the glove compartment were identical.

The tail lights were completely separate from the backup lights, and the dual exhaust pipes added symmetry.

Alas, the engine is what makes any car, and the Ford 286 that the 2+2 Fastback came with stock meant business. Ford also made a Mustang 350 in 1965 that came stock with the powerful Ford 351, which was meant to compete with Chevrolet's famous Corvette.

Next up is a 1934 Ford Coupe.

What the world needs now
Is some new words of wisdom
Like la la la la la la la la la.
-David Lowery

Having a friend who will keep a secret for you is worthless compared to a friend who won't keep a secret from you.

#235351 - 07/02/08 09:47 PM Re: My New Hobby [Re: BJK]
Trucker51 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Denver, CO
Any pointers? I haven't put a model together in 35 years or more. Last year I bought a nearly 3 foot long powered RC model of a World War II US Fletcher-class Destroyer. Now all that I have to do is learn how to put it together, again. Got to go get the tools, the glue, the paint and the brushes yet. It has lots of moving parts though, and looks like it could take a lot of time to build. It is a 1/125th scale.

Nice car. A buddy in high school had a '65 Mustang convertible, and I had a '70 Mustang Mach 1 with a 351 Cleveland V-8 back in 1974/75 at about the same time. It was lucky that gas was only 50 cents a gallon back then.

Mark

#235362 - 07/02/08 10:10 PM Re: My New Hobby [Re: Trucker51]
BJK Offline
MaleSurvivor

I actually just obtained a lot of 8 model kits on ebay for a total price of about $5 each, which is about how much they cost when I was a kid. I'm certainly hoping that they last me a few months:)

As far as pointers, patience is a virtue. I rarely spent more than 20-30 minutes on this model at any one time. I started by getting a certain part, like the engine/tranny assembly, ready to assemble. Then, the next day, I'd put that together and get the next part, like the chassis assembly, ready to assemble. Many parts, like the body and the interior, took several days. But I have found that a large part of the fun of assembling a model is admiring it while it's being built. This Mustang took me about three weeks to build, and I'd classify it as an "easy" model.

Seriously, though, the pointers I have are all things that I kind of took for granted as a kid. For instance, actually listen to the model instructions when they tell you certain things. For instance, always read the instructions before starting if only to get a good plan together for how you are going to paint it. It helps out a lot to be able to, for instance, paint all of the rust colored parts at the same time. Always allow the paint and glue to dry thoroughly. That was a mistake I made with this Mustang. I got too hasty, and I ended up with fingerprints that couldn't be completely sanded away. Allow 48 hours for gloss body paint to dry. Since you're building a ship, you'll probably not be working with gloss paints, but you'll still want to allow at least 24 hours for the flat paints to dry. There are five coats of white paint on that Mustang body.

Another mistake I made on this Mustang was not realizing that a lot of the body details were actuall decals, so I could have avoided a lot of painstaking effort by just reading through the instructions.

Also, I've made pretty liberal use of toothpicks and needles for the detail work. I use both kinds of toothpicks...the ones with two points as well as the flat edged ones. I use them to paint and to glue. I also use TONS of paint thinner, and I have quite a few backup brushes.

As far as tools go, I find the following absolutely necessary:

toothpicks (both kinds)
hobby knife (always cut the pieces from the sprew...never twist)
tweezers (otherwise, I get glue-fingerprints all over the place)
good hand soap (I'm washing my hands constantly)
a good surface mat (always protect your work surface)
a cutting block (ditto)
a spare empty paint jar (for cleaning brushes)
plenty of room (have to let stuff dry)

When I was a kid, I put together a few planes and ships, but I honestly don't know much about them. That's why I chose cars. I've always been intrigued by cars, not so much by the mechanical workings of them, but by the body styles.

Let me know how it goes.

Bryan

What the world needs now
-David Lowery

Having a friend who will keep a secret for you is worthless compared to a friend who won't keep a secret from you.

#235374 - 07/02/08 10:41 PM Re: My New Hobby [Re: BJK]
Trucker51 Offline
MaleSurvivor

I got this one for a really good price too. It is a Lindbergh "Blue Devil" skill-level three (of three). Level-one is the easiest. Up until now I have just been displaying it in the box. I once gave my dad a really complex model of some 1920s biplane, which he started but never finished. When I was a little kid, he had just finished building a large model of a Piper Tri-Pacer, a plane that he used to own, when I got the brilliant idea to fly it down the basement stairs. And another time he built an RC model airplane. On its first flight, the motor died at couple hundred feet and it made a kamikaze dive into the parking lot. I still have the motor of that plane sitting here on display in its original box. It still has the bent throttle linkage from its one disatrous flight.

We used to live on the shore of a small lake when I was a kid. I built several ship models including a 1/350th model of the Aircraft Carrier ORISKANY. Unfortunately, back in my juvenile firestarting days the model was destroyed by a huge explosion when the trailing gasoline slick ignited the stored fuel within. Now many years later I would like to replace that model with a little more serious one.

How will I find the time? It could take a year to build it.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Mark

#235381 - 07/02/08 11:12 PM Re: My New Hobby [Re: Trucker51]
Nyjah Offline
MaleSurvivor

Hah. I thought this was a real car.

Really cool model though, I've never put any together.

#235387 - 07/02/08 11:45 PM Re: My New Hobby [Re: Nyjah]
dgoods Offline

Loc: Richmond area
Funny how i'm perfectly willing to spend hours agonizing over the mastering of some new remix, but have no patience for model-building (unless it's of the "Snap-Tite" variety). I remember a B-25 Mitchell, and a Peterbuilt model, but that's as far as i got with it... The 'stang looks good though ;\)

-William Shakespeare, Macbeth, Act IV, Sc. III

#235392 - 07/03/08 12:28 AM Re: My New Hobby [Re: dgoods]
theatrekid Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: oregon
whoa whoa whoa, you have outgrown transformers? I wont believe it I won't have it! Transformers are a timeless gift to all man kind. \:\)

Models are fun to though. One of my favorite childhood memories are of my dad and I putting together a Crysler Prowler. We sanded and painted and glued all the little peices together I think I still have it floating some were around my room.

Good Luck on the Models!

#235394 - 07/03/08 12:47 AM Re: My New Hobby [Re: theatrekid]
Trucker51 Offline
MaleSurvivor

My youngest nephew is 15 & 1/2 and is still big into Transformers. I think that he has them all and then some, along with plenty of Lego sets. My sister is a Lego distributor.

Mark

#235943 - 07/05/08 07:53 AM Re: My New Hobby [Re: Trucker51]
CDavid Offline

Brian,

No one really gives up on Transformers...do they? :-)

The model is cool...I thought it was real, too!

When I was eighteen, we found a (yes, it is true) farmer that had a 65 mustang, literally, behind his barn. His daughter wrecked it, he stashed it there. He sold it for five hundred dollars. It needed some sheet metal work on the front, but was in really good shape otherwise. It had the ponies laminated in the seats.

Of course, that was many, many years ago. Uhm, many years ago.

I envy your patience with the models, though...sigh...

:-)

CD

#236092 - 07/05/08 04:08 PM Re: My New Hobby [Re: CDavid]
Trucker51 Offline
MaleSurvivor

15 years ago when hauling high-tension power poles in northeast rural Colorado, I came across a farm where this guy had an old Studebaker Golden Hawk in his barn that looked like it was in pretty good shape. I offered him $2,000 for the car, but he said that someday he planned to restore it. The guy was about 80 years old then, back in the summer of 1993. I wonder if he ever finished it or is still interested in selling it?

Mark

#236107 - 07/05/08 04:34 PM Re: My New Hobby [Re: Trucker51]
BJK Offline
MaleSurvivor

I grew up in North Dakota...if I could only go back in time to buy some of the old finds that were hiding in shelter-belts across the Red River Valley and beyond when I was a kid....

My grandparents had an old '59 Cadillac stashed away in their shelterbelt alongside a Ford pickup from the late '40's. Back in 1984 or so, the bodies were still in good shape, though I distinctly remember the interiors needing a lot of work. When I visited back in 2001, the bodies were so rusted out, they had sold the Caddy, and the Ford was so rusted out, it was hard to tell what it once was. I also remember a farmer who was selling a 1949 Lincoln Cosmopolitan back in the mid-90's for $250. I have no clue if it ran or not, but with the condition the body was in, who really cares?

Oh well.

Bryan

What the world needs now
-David Lowery

#236128 - 07/05/08 06:11 PM Re: My New Hobby [Re: BJK]
Wyclef_Bakr Offline

Loc: Doorstep of Thugz Mansion.
Wow, looks like a really cool hobby. I think I may go and get Ny some models to put together...any suggestions for a beginner?

Edited by Wyclef_Bakr (07/05/08 06:11 PM)

#236254 - 07/06/08 01:53 AM Re: My New Hobby [Re: Wyclef_Bakr]
BJK Offline
MaleSurvivor

Originally Posted By: Wyclef_Bakr
Wow, looks like a really cool hobby. I think I may go and get Ny some models to put together...any suggestions for a beginner?

Well...that depends on a lot of things.

What kind of interests do you have? Are you into history? Cars? Boats? Planes? Movies? There are scores of different types of models to choose from....from Star Wars to Star Trek....from motorcycles to NASCAR vehicles to monster trucks to muscle cars....from battleships to destroyers to aircraft carriers...from fighters and bombers to biplanes and commercial crafts....to troop carriers to tanks, anti-tank guns, artillery, and anti-aircraft guns. You name it, and it is out there somewhere. The first thing to do is to pick a subject matter that really interests you, and go from there.

Once you have a subject, the trick is in finding a good first model. Are you interested in painting? If you aren't at first, chances are quite high that you will eventually. I used to hate painting, but it has slowly evolved into my favorite part of putting a model together. I especially like detailing the interiors of cars, where there is usually a lot of detail, but small mistakes tend to go unnoticed. If you want to start out painting right away, I recommend starting with one of the snap-together kits. They are generally a lot cheaper, which means you can go to town with one of the Testors paint kits that come with a wide assortment of colors without having to worry about creating anything you plan to keep. If you don't want to start painting right off the bat, it's good to know that most model kits have skill levels on them these days, and are rated from 1-3. The 1's are generally snap kits, 2's are generally the easier glue kits, and the 3's are the most challenging. If you want to glue right away, go for a 2.

As far as beginner pointers, I cannot emphasize enough how important it is to use the smallest amount of glue possible. The way the glue works is it actually melts the plastic, and when you put on just a small dap, the melted plastic from two different parts dries to form a single part. A properly glued joint is actually stronger than the plastic around it. When too much glue is used, then the melted parts of the plastic aren't allowed to come into contact with each other. The result is that the glue itself becomes weak and brittle when it dries, and if the joint breaks, you'll have to scrape all that dried glue away to start again. Plus, I cannot also emphasize enough to scrape away all chrome plating and paint before applying glue. Always make sure you have direct contact between plastic parts.

As far as absolutely essential beginner materials, I have to include a hobby knife to scrape away paint/metal plating and toothpicks to apply glue.

Good luck in your endeavors!

What the world needs now
-David Lowery

#236483 - 07/07/08 04:22 AM Re: My New Hobby [Re: BJK]
Trucker51 Offline
MaleSurvivor

A buddy from high school went down to Georgia in 1975 and picked-up an old 57 Bel-air 4 door for $600 that still ran. He put in his folk's garage for 18 months and re-did it bit by bit. When it was done it had a high-performance engine with the carbs sticking through the hood, was candy apple red and all of the chrome and interior was restored. He took it to a few shows and a few months later sold it for $25,000.

He works for one of the big public utilities around Detroit as a lineman these days. And he still restores cars on the side. He just sold a 67 Firebird for almost $50 grand at an auction last summer. He finishes about one car per year as a little side-business and hobby.

All that it takes is a little extra work.

Mark

#236728 - 07/08/08 06:44 AM Re: My New Hobby [Re: Nyjah]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Originally Posted By: Nyjah
Hah. I thought this was a real car.

Me too! I was stunned when I saw you were talking about a model. Really nice work. I used to go nuts building ship models - those big ones like Old Ironsides and the Cutty Sark. The greatest fun for me was doing the rigging. I could lose myself in that work for hours. And you're right. Haste is the big enemy.

My Dad was into restoring the real thing, Bryan. He would find an old junker somewhere and then buy it and restore it for resale - then start all over again. His coolest restoration was a 1924 Chevrolet. My grandfather found it for him in a barn somewhere - turns out it's the only one left in private possession and now it's in a museum in Italy somewhere.

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#236871 - 07/08/08 10:25 PM Re: My New Hobby [Re: roadrunner]
BJK Offline
MaleSurvivor

1934 Ford "Model 40" Coupe

I can't believe this turned out as well as it did given how many issues I had with it. I think I spent more time repairing this one than I spent actually assembling it.

I really dig vintage automobiles, and by "vintage", I mean pre-World War II.

This bad boy has been outfitted with a small block Chevy V8 bored out to 386 cubic inches with custom Edelbrock rocker arm covers and an Edelbrock double pumper carburator. Everything else you see here is stock with the exception of the wheels.

The front end was characterized by the upright "Model 40" radiator style. The stock wraparound fender was used instead of the custom teardrop style for the sake of comfort. Oh, and those aren't side-view mirrors mounted on the doors. They are actually lights.

The side view tends to be the most impressive view of the Ford "Model 40" design. The hubcaps were from a 1950 Mercury. An item of note on this Ford is that there are no door handles on the inside. I tried to get a good picture of the interior, but the angle of light through the small windows wouldn't allow for anything decent to turn out. The interior is pretty plain anyway. There is no radio, and the spedometer and gas gauge are the only two instruments on the driver's side panel. Hey, at least they have a glove compartment in this two-seater!

There is even style in the rear end of this beast. Gently sloping countours are accentuated by the rear taillights that stick out like some kind of horror sequence in an Aliens flick. At any rate, I am fully aware that the license plate is mounted on the wrong side. I'll call that my own personal touch.

Next up is a 1969 Camaro. The first coat of black paint is currently drying, and it looks sweet.

Bryan

Edited by BJK (07/08/08 10:26 PM)

What the world needs now
-David Lowery

#236875 - 07/08/08 10:48 PM Re: My New Hobby [Re: BJK]
CDavid Offline

Bryan,

Cool...

When I was in high school they had weekly contests for the model builders in school. They had a display case, displayed all the entries and they were voted "Best" by the shop teachers at the time.

I think my trust issues really got in the way...as far as model building goes. I just had no faith that that "drop" of glue was going to hold one piece to the other. The, uhm, more is better thinking, just didn't work with models. :-)

My best friend at the time had a tackle box that he kept all his model supplies in. Using thread for spark plug wires, braided wire for radiator and heater hoses...oh, the hours he put into them.

Thanks for sharing it...

CD

#236887 - 07/08/08 11:16 PM Re: My New Hobby [Re: CDavid]
BJK Offline
MaleSurvivor

I've tried my hand at the "detail details" to no avail, though there is always the possibility of the future. I remember once, as a kid, trying to melt the sprues into tiny threads so I could wire the spark plugs to the distributor...the starter to the solenoid to the battery...etc. I ended up burning myself and creating a sticky mess.

They actually sell detailing parts on ebay and in hobby stores these days. Yes, you can go and buy spark plug wires and the like for your models.

Of course, on this 1934 Ford Coupe that I just finished, I can't for the life of me figure out where the battery would be. Kind of reminds me of an old friend who tried his hand at restoring a 1940's model Dodge 3/4 Ton Pickup back in the day. He spent a lot of time on the engine, pulled it out, rebuilt it along with the tranny, put it back in, and he couldn't figure out where the battery cables were supposed to go...so he cut 'em and mounted a battery shelf under the hood. There was plenty of room. Hell, you probably could have fit a couple of dead bodies under that hood along with the massive engine he used. At any rate, the thing still wasn't quite ready to fire up yet when he moved across town. He had to get a tow truck and a dolly to move it, and lo and behold, when he pulled it out of the garage, the old battery was left sitting on the floor with what was left of the battery cables still attached. It wasn't until a couple of months later when he climbed in behind the steeering wheel to try to fire it up for the first time when he realized where the battery was all that time....when his feet went completely through the floorboards.

Yeah, 40 years of battery acid tends to do a little bit of damage.

What the world needs now
-David Lowery

#236892 - 07/08/08 11:33 PM Re: My New Hobby [Re: Trucker51]
1islandboy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: washington
O.K. Now I'm inspired,

I'm going to put together the Red Baron funny car.

All guns blazing (Yes,the car has guns mounted on both sides).

island

p.s. I've got a die cast collection, of piggybank cars. People will throw ANYTHING away.

#238849 - 07/18/08 09:26 PM Re: My New Hobby [Re: 1islandboy]
BJK Offline
MaleSurvivor

Originally Posted By: 1islandboy
O.K. Now I'm inspired,

I'm going to put together the Red Baron funny car.

All guns blazing (Yes,the car has guns mounted on both sides).

island

p.s. I've got a die cast collection, of piggybank cars. People will throw ANYTHING away.

Best of luck to you! Feel free to post pics when you're done.

\:\)

Bryan

What the world needs now
-David Lowery

#238850 - 07/18/08 09:38 PM Re: My New Hobby [Re: BJK]
BJK Offline
MaleSurvivor

1969 Chevrolet Camaro Z-28 Rally Sport

I learned a lot doing this model. First and foremost, I learned that I hate decals. It's hard to pick out the issues I had in these pictures, but let's just say that they didn't exactly turn out right.

I was pretty dang proud of my airbrush job here. First of all, the model came molded in a very cool metallic blue, so it took a lot of convincing to airbrush over top of that. However, I finally just convinced myself that the model would look better in black.

When I started the detail work on the body, my hands were shaking profusely. I'll put it frankly...the high gloss black paint just looked sweet. I was so afraid of messing it up. The result is I ended up not doing any window trim at all, and I'll explain why.

I was leaving work last Saturday, and there was a Camaro just like this one parked in the parking lot on my way out. I'm not sure what it was doing there, but the only difference was that it was red instead of black. Since I was putting this model together, I inspected it closely. From that car, I got the idea of the silver trim on the front grille. I also noticed that the trimwork around its windows was black...not chrome like the artist's rendition on the box.

I went with what I saw, and I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out. Of course, the whole effect was ruined by the fact that the decals didn't fit right.

One of the sad parts about this model is that it came with four chrome Z-28 emblems. I painted them all to match this one on the back, but I was unable to snip them from the chrome sprue without damaging them. I was only able to salvage this one.

Of course, we would be completely remiss to mention the fact that this bad boy came with the rare Chevy 302 with dual carburators. This gave a lot of punch for what is known as a "little" V8.

And, of course, we have the front view with the recessed 1960's style recessed grille that screams muscle that I love so much.

Next up is a 1964 Dodge 330 SS.

Edited by BJK (07/18/08 09:43 PM)

What the world needs now
-David Lowery

#239909 - 07/23/08 10:33 PM Re: My New Hobby [Re: BJK]
BJK Offline
MaleSurvivor

1964 Dodge 330 Super Sport

The 330 stands for 330 horse power, which was the rating of the 383 cubic inch mopar beast that was under the hood of this 1964 Dodge.

I am still learning, and on this model, I learned a lot. Truth is, I've been working on the body paint for quite some time. I started with a beautiful white air brushed finish, and then I completely botched it up doing the detail work. I tried again, taping off my detail work, and I ended up with serious tape lines. I put it aside for a couple of weeks frustrated.

However, after spending a lot of time on the interior, putting a full five coats of insignia red on the bucket seats, I decided that I couldn't just let this one go. I sanded down the taping lines as best as I could, I retaped the finish work, and I used my putty knife to cut out the details. The results? Well, I can effectively say that I now know how to tape effectively. It could have turned out better, but I'm proud of myself for not giving up. I ended up with nine, count 'em nine, coats of original white gloss on the body.

This was the first Lindberg model I've ever put together, and i do have to say it was fun. The problems were 1) there was a flat out error in the instruction booklet and 2) the painting instructions weren't very clear. Therefore, I freelanced this one, and the one thing I really liked about it were the interior decals.

The biggest issue I had with putting this one together is that I lost one of the tires, and so I had to order a set of two Pirelli front drag tires on ebay. I think my kitty is the culprit. He LOVES these rubber doo-dads. I seem to think he also has the back lights from the 1987 Firebird I'm currently assembling as well.

Next up is a 1987 Pontiac Firebird.

Edited by BJK (07/23/08 10:36 PM)

What the world needs now
-David Lowery

#239919 - 07/23/08 11:38 PM Re: My New Hobby [Re: BJK]
CDavid Offline

Bryan,

I loved this...

"I think my kitty is the culprit. He LOVES these rubber doo-dads. I seem to think he also has the back lights from the 1987 Firebird I'm currently assembling as well."

Where are you putting all of these as you finish them?

CD

#239943 - 07/24/08 07:02 AM Re: My New Hobby [Re: CDavid]
BJK Offline
MaleSurvivor

They are slowly taking over the shelves my Transformers currently occupy. I actually have quite a few open shelves without much to put on them, so the Transformers are safe for the time being.

What the world needs now
-David Lowery

#239945 - 07/24/08 07:09 AM Re: My New Hobby [Re: BJK]
CDavid Offline

Ahhh, well, you know...I hope the transformers do not get pushed out completely. After your post on transformers I was compelled to get the movie when it came out, watch it, I loved it.

As we were heading back "home" to visit, we decided to stop in to see the place where my brother is buried. I wanted to get something, to leave there. After much thought, I got a Bumblebee transformer...pushed it into the soil next to the marker.

It just seemed right.

Thanks...

David

#239949 - 07/24/08 07:21 AM Re: My New Hobby [Re: CDavid]
BJK Offline
MaleSurvivor

That's really awesome, Dave. Thanks for sharing.

No, the Transformers won't get pushed out completely. I feel I may end up donating some to a local thrift store or children's hospital, and my nephew may end up with a couple. However, as I scan my shelves, I really don't think I can bear to part with Bumblebee, Optimus Prime, or Jazz. They were very close to my heart as a kid, and buying them truly did have a profound effect on my recovery.

What the world needs now
-David Lowery

#239951 - 07/24/08 07:24 AM Re: My New Hobby [Re: BJK]
CDavid Offline

Uh-huh...as they captured him, tied him down...all the while you, as the viewer, knowing he could easily break free...he didn't, wouldn't, because he made the choice not to hurt anyone.

Okay, I am a hopeless sap...but I loved that.

David

#239954 - 07/24/08 07:30 AM Re: My New Hobby [Re: CDavid]
BJK Offline
MaleSurvivor

Yeah....Bumblebee was my favorite as a kid. He was a wimp, but he had the courage of a lion. And that scene in the movie kind of took my heart as well. Not only Bumblebee, but Optimus Prime as well; they were both willing to sacrifice tremendously to avoid hurting someone.

But of course, the movie was completely secondary to the circumstances that surrounded my second viewing of it. My nephew, in the seat next to me, was in a theater to watch a "real movie" for only the second time in his life. At the beginning, where Blackout (the helicopter) makes his first appearance and begins to transform, my nephew literally stood up on his chair and shouted "THAT WAS AWESOME"! I was laughing so hard as I tried to "shush" him, I was barely able to get him to sit back down. Thankfully, the people around us (in the packed theater) were also giggling.

It's a memory I will always hold with me.

Bryan

What the world needs now
-David Lowery

#239955 - 07/24/08 07:33 AM Re: My New Hobby [Re: BJK]
CDavid Offline

I bet...that would have only added to the whole experience for me...wish now, I had seen it in the theater.

CD

#239963 - 07/24/08 09:06 AM Re: My New Hobby [Re: CDavid]
BJK Offline
MaleSurvivor

Back to my kitty....I would have never believed it possible if I hadn't seen him reach over the table to specifically pick up one of the tires with his paw. He's got strong fingers, and since he's a 21 lb. cat without any fat, he can be quite a little devil when he wants to be.

I have to keep the tires under lock and key or he will steal them all.

Bryan

What the world needs now
-David Lowery

#240052 - 07/24/08 08:40 PM Re: My New Hobby [Re: BJK]
CDavid Offline

Twenty-one pounds!?

That is like, both of mine put together...I bet he's fun.

"No, really, I mean it...give me food, now!"

CD

#240078 - 07/24/08 10:54 PM Re: My New Hobby [Re: CDavid]
BJK Offline
MaleSurvivor

lol...

If he can't get me up at 5:00 AM for feeding time by licking my beard, he will climb on top of me and just stand there. It's amazing how little those paws become when a cat seems to be balancing his entire weight on one of them.

"Okay, okay...I'll get up."

Every time someone new gets to see him, I get the same reaction. "Holy cow! Is that a cat?"

What the world needs now
-David Lowery

#240080 - 07/24/08 10:57 PM Re: My New Hobby [Re: BJK]
CDavid Offline

Hmmm...I see that, very typical, "I am putting up with you right now..." look...

LOL

CD

#240081 - 07/24/08 11:02 PM Re: My New Hobby [Re: CDavid]
BJK Offline
MaleSurvivor

lol...more like, "you woke me up, this better be good."

I was trying to get a picture of him sleeping on his back with his paws curled up, but he has a sixth sense when it comes to cameras.

This is him with his "I'm not thinking of any devious or diabolical plan to annoy your right now...honest." look.

Edited by BJK (07/24/08 11:03 PM)

What the world needs now
-David Lowery

#240083 - 07/24/08 11:08 PM Re: My New Hobby [Re: BJK]
CDavid Offline

That's a cool cat, Bryan...Tabbys are fun, I think...

Cd

#240090 - 07/24/08 11:18 PM Re: My New Hobby [Re: BJK]
dgoods Offline

Loc: Richmond area
My cat's fairly small, but when it's breakfast time and Daddy's still asleep? Well, it's kinda like this.

-William Shakespeare, Macbeth, Act IV, Sc. III

#240091 - 07/24/08 11:19 PM Re: My New Hobby [Re: dgoods]
CDavid Offline

I have seen those...I think they are hillarious...LOL

CD

#240095 - 07/25/08 12:03 AM Re: My New Hobby [Re: CDavid]
BJK Offline
MaleSurvivor

Absolutely hilarious!

\:\)

Bryan

What the world needs now
-David Lowery

#240212 - 07/25/08 07:05 PM Re: My New Hobby [Re: BJK]
BJK Offline
MaleSurvivor

1987 Pontiac Firebird

This is mostly an '87 Firebird, I think, but it is hard to tell because it is actually a Pro-Street model that has been cannibalized from other Firebirds from the mid to late '80's. It's hard to distinguish between Firebirds from '85 to '87, especially when the hood on this bad boy is most certainly a custom job. The fake louvres, which were for cosmetic purposes only, are simply not there.

This bad boy was built to go, but I really didn't want to put this one together that bad. It came in a 3-pack with a '78 Trans Am and a '64 GTO, and I wanted the other two. However, I viewed this one as a great opportunity to try my hand at a two-tone paint job.

I'm glad I took this one to practice on, because the paint started to creep up the seems in the doors. I hadn't anticipated that, so now I'm brainstorming ways to prevent that from happening on future models. Other than that, I'm my own worst enemy. My impatience to get this one finished created a lot of paint smudges on the outside body which was otherwise another very nice air-brush job.

I also cannot emphasize enough...when a paint job is done well, you will know when the last coat is going on before you start on that last coat.

That said, this model sucked to put together. The parts didn't fit. I had to hold the roll-cage intact overnight with a clamp, and I had to scrape away a good eight of an inch to get the engine compartment to go together. To add insult to injury, I think my kitty stole the rear tail lights, so this model isn't yet complete.

To be frank, I'm looking forward to the '78 Trans Am. This one will probably be cannon fodder next year on the Fourth.

Next up: 1978 Pontiac Trans AM

What the world needs now
-David Lowery

#241978 - 08/02/08 03:06 PM Re: My New Hobby [Re: BJK]
BJK Offline
MaleSurvivor

1978 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am Special Edition

Most people have noticed by now that I'm not really into "modern" vehicles. My postings so far have included no vehicles manufactured after 1970, but there must be an exception made for the generation 2 Trans Ams.

We might have to go back to the 1957 Chevrolet Bel Air or the old Ford Model T's to find a car that so thoroughly defined a generation the way the Trans Am defined the 1970's. 1978 was the peak year for the car that was otherwise known as the Bandit TA, made enormously popular by the Smokey and the Bandit movie series of the era. Featuring told trim, gold decals, and gold wheels, the 1978 Pontiac Trans Am Special Edition is in a class all by itself.

This bad boy featured a massive Oldsmobile 403 engine with a 4-bbl carburator and a "really neat" backwards hood scoop. T-tops and the distinctive rear spoiler round out the package. With very little competition in the muscle car market in the late '70's due to federal regulations and quickly rising gas prices, when Pontiac said "We build excitement" in 1978, they really meant it.

I'm pretty happy with this model. There was very little painting to do because it was molded in gloss black. I made do with two coats of black paint on the body, and the only trim work was painting the side lights and door handles.

Oh, I forgot to mention the golden honeycomb rims that were so popular with this model TA. Half the amount of time I spent on this model was painting those rims.

Next up: 1964 Pontiac GTO

Edited by BJK (08/02/08 05:21 PM)

What the world needs now
-David Lowery

#241981 - 08/02/08 03:26 PM Re: My New Hobby [Re: BJK]
BJK Offline
MaleSurvivor

1964 Pontiac LeMans GTO Sports Coupe

In 1964, the Pontiac LeMans had a $300 option called the GTO. It was the first time the engine from a large-size car was used in a medium-sized coupe as standard equipment. The Sports Coupe was the fastest of the three GTO styles built in 1964, and it came decked out with a 389 Tri-power engine that delivered 325 horsepower and a 3-speed manual transmission.

The GTO would eventually become a mainstay in the Pontiac lineup, and it is the most popular offering that Pontiac delivered in the 1960's. Some know the GTO as the "last true musclecar". I know the GTO's dual grille design gives a look that just says, "let's see how far down the gas pedal can go".

For those who are curious, GTO stands for Gran Turismo Omologato.

This model came molded in extremely cheap red plastic. There were several spots where the color didn't propagate all the way through the plastic, and even after sanding, the paint would just not stick. It took 9 coats of red paint to completely cover up the hideous stock plastic, but I'm absolutely thrilled with the way it turned out. The tape job is one I'm actually proud of. This is the first time I acutally looked forward to doing trim work after a good air-brush job. I learned the hard way that it works best to tape over the entire area to be painted, and then to cout out the edge of the trim with a hobby knife.

Next up: 1928 Mercury Touring Car

Edited by BJK (08/02/08 03:27 PM)

What the world needs now
-David Lowery

#241984 - 08/02/08 04:46 PM Re: My New Hobby [Re: BJK]
Trucker51 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Bryan:

Nice model with the 3 carbs visible. A gas station where I worked in 1974 the one manager had a 1965 GTO with the same engine that I got to drive once. It had a 2-speed automatic transmission, with just low and drive. His was a rag-top model with the black and white vinyl interior. (They may have been custom seats).

I once owned a competitor that Buick made in the same year as your Goat. The car that I owned was a 1964 Riviera with the high-compression 425 cu in and the two 4-barrel carbs, which was rated at 365 HP, which only got in the 8 mpg range, less if you opened the back carb up. It had a 160 mph speedometer, and though I got close, I never buried it. I never had a car with so much high-end acceleration. At 80 mph you could stomp down on the gas, open-up the back carb, and the thing would throw you back in the seat, and two or three seconds later, you were at 110 or 120 mph. Car was a bit heavy, but almost the perfect "sleeper" in the horsepower-crazed city that grew-up in.

At the age of 11 our 6th-grade class took a field trip to Pontiac's main assembly plant, and a year later on another field trip, we toured Ford's River Rouge plant. Imagine seeing all of those 1968 and 1969 cars rolling down the assembly-line at that age getting your hopes up.

Keep up the good work.

Mark

#241987 - 08/02/08 05:06 PM Re: My New Hobby [Re: Trucker51]
BJK Offline
MaleSurvivor

The '75 Mustang II I used to drive had a speedometer that went up to 120...and yes, I buried it. Immediately afterwards, I swore I'd never go that fast again. The needle was wrapped all the way back to the 0, and I estimate that I was going about 160 with some throttle left. Of course, that 'stang didn't have the stock V6. It had the biggest engine that would fit...a 302 V8 with an oversized cam. It could squeal in all three gears, and the front end would actually lift off the ground if you could get a take off without the tires breaking loose. I scared myself down to 4-bangers with that car.

The '05 Chevy Cavalier with a manual tranny that I drive now squeals in all five gears. I surprise myself a lot when I tromp 'er down to try to merge into traffic and break the tires loose. If I have a passenger, I'll casually say, "oops."

Bryan

What the world needs now
-David Lowery

#241988 - 08/02/08 05:07 PM Re: My New Hobby [Re: Trucker51]
BJK Offline
MaleSurvivor

Originally Posted By: Trucker51
Nice model with the 3 carbs visible.

Kind of a shame that I can't get enough lighting to show off the Pontiac Blue engine block. I spent $3 just to get that color, too!

What the world needs now
-David Lowery

#241990 - 08/02/08 05:16 PM Re: My New Hobby [Re: Trucker51]
BJK Offline
MaleSurvivor

A little preview of the 1928 Lincoln I'm currently assembling:

This is a 1/32 scale model, which means it is slightly smaller than the rest. However, I feel absolutely fortunate to be able to assemble a model of this vintage nature. It was manufactured in 1963 by Lindberg, and things were definitely different then.

The box was absolutely trashed, so there is little to no collectors' value in the model itself. Therefore, I was able to buy it for $2, which is an outstanding deal for a complete model that is 45 years old.

There is no chrome. There is no rubber. The enrite kit, save the windows, is molded in beige plastic that just screams "paint me!". I've never painted tires before.

It has been a blast to put this one together, too. I'm about halfway done. It has a two-tone paint job, gold and black, and I decided to try to use contour putty for the first time. While the putty did improve the look by hiding the seams somewhat, it is very obvious that I used putty. Looks like I have work to do on my sanding technique.

I might end up bringing this one to work to show it off when it's done.

Bryan

What the world needs now
-David Lowery

#241991 - 08/02/08 05:31 PM Re: My New Hobby [Re: BJK]
markgreyblue Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Pasadena, CA
these are so great Bryan!

My bias though is with the White Mustang.

Simply Classic and beautiful to me.

Best,

Mark

"...the sign of a true leader is service..." - anonymous

#241992 - 08/02/08 05:32 PM Re: My New Hobby [Re: BJK]
EGL Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Very nice modeling, Bryan. I especially like that Pontiac LeMans - I had a 1969 Pontiac LeMans as my first car when it was already 9 years old. It was maroon with a black vinyl hardtop and felt like you were driving a speeding rocket. I drove it into the ground and sold it for scrap at $75 after a few years.

I share your love of vintage kits as well. I do modeling in trains and have bought some of the old SilverStreak and Globe kits from the 1950s off of eBay in the past. These caboose kits were made out of wood and white metal castings, so were a real challenge and joy to build. They sure don't make kits like those any more.

#242853 - 08/06/08 09:29 PM Re: My New Hobby [Re: BJK]
BJK Offline
MaleSurvivor

1928 Lincoln Model L "Classic" Sport Touring Car with Locke body

They sure don't name 'em like they used to.

The Lincoln Motor Company was founded by Henry Martin and Wilfred Leland in 1920. They quickly became known as the highest quality manufacturer in the United States, but Americans at that time didn't necessarily want quality. They wanted affordability, so by 1922, Leland and son were forced to sell their company to Ford for a total of $6 million. For nearly a century, Lincoln has been producing Ford's line of luxury cars, and quality was not compromised.

Ford was rolling chassis off the assembly line faster than they could make bodies, so they had to contract out the body-work to companies like Brunn and Locke. This 1928 version features a 60 degree V8 engine with a whopping 90 horsepower.

This model turned out extremely well, and I'm very happy about it. There was one discrepancy in that the front headlight mount was mysteriously missing from the sprew. I had to improvise, as a result, but I like the way it ended up.

I have retired my air brush mostly because I didn't want to buy more air, and also partly because I'm so sick of cleaning the dang thing. I used two different aerosol sprays to paint the gold body and the black fenders. I got by with two coats of gold paint and three coats of gloss black, and I'm quite happy with the results. I also used contour putty for the first time, but this was before I realized that it could be thinned with paint thinner. The result is that the body, which came in four pieces, has a barely noticable seem on the back and is just slightly lumpy on the front where my sanding job didn't quite do the trick. The biggest flaw, though, is just a slight amount of glue on the front windshield, which I think might be replacable at some point down the line with a clear molding cement that can be stretched into windows. I need some practice first, though.

This is the best picture. Did I mention that I suck at photography? This wasn't a convertible in the conventional form of the term "convertible", as it did not have a top. However, there was a canopy that could be raised to cover the rear passenger area, but the driver would always be forced to endure the rain.

The rear luggage rack and a good look at the canopy is available in this picture. Notice that there was only one tail light. This was stock.

The driving area was quite simple in those days. I think there were two speeds...forward and reverse. The dashboard had simply a spedometer right in the middle (no fuel gauge).

I'm not entirely certain how this engine worked. The gray contraption at the top is the wiring harness for the spark plugs, and the black little arm that plugs into the top of the engine is the radiator hose. The two silver doo-dads are the exhaust manifolds. It certainly looks like the radiator just dumped coolant right down into the engine. The one thing that is very noticable, though, is the fact that the entire engine is very easy to get to. It would take all of ten minutes to change the spark plugs on this bad boy.

Next up: 1995 GMC Sonoma

Edited by BJK (08/06/08 09:35 PM)

What the world needs now
-David Lowery

#244965 - 08/16/08 11:05 AM Re: My New Hobby [Re: BJK]
Hauser Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: United States
Cars (especially classic cars) are totally cool huh? Hey Bryan, you might find some cool stuff here: http://www.squadron.com/PDF/flyer-08-08/Full%20Catalog.pdf

Oh, and they don't charge that stupid sales tax either!

#244988 - 08/16/08 12:14 PM Re: My New Hobby [Re: Hauser]
BJK Offline
MaleSurvivor

I like ehobbies.com. They tend to be extremely inexpensive, and they have a monthly sale. This month, any order over $75 gets free shipping. Last month, any order over $25 got $5 off.

I also like to shop around, though. I tend to buy most of my kits off ebay, but I tend to get most of my supplies through ehobbies.

Bryan

What the world needs now
-David Lowery

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.