Newest Members
Robert Barrett, lostsoul824, beatcook, MassGuy, wiresguy1
12278 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
carter (51), CAW1980 (34), Fissy Tsickens (53), Kris (52), Wheatthins (23)
Who's Online
5 registered (pittsburgh, Landscape, YYZGIRL, 2 invisible), 22 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12278 Members
73 Forums
63175 Topics
441758 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#234071 - 06/27/08 12:41 PM hi there
Lloydy Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: England Shropshire
I see a lot of familiar names still here, and as ever a whole lot of new ones.
Which proves what a great place MS is.

I still read a lot and take an interest in what's going on, but I've been very happy to sit back for a while.
MS helped me immensly when I first came here, and I'm proud to have helped the site for a while as well. It was a challenge, but one I enjoyed and taught me a lot. I also appreciated the thanks and kindness I got in return.

But I didn't abandon the cause when I left, I was already working for Axis here in the UK where we provided therapy for nearly 400 clients last year, and we operate in one rural county!

Over the last couple of years I have been mainly involved in setting up a parrallel service within Axis called "4MEN2" which is actively aimed at male survivors. And last year we saw an 83% increase in men coming through the door.
That's something I'm incredibly proud of, and something I would never have been able to do 10 to 15 years ago because I was a 'typical survivor' in so many respects ( if there is such a thing? ) and didn't have the slightest bit of confidence in anything I did.

But I do now, and I can honestly say that most of that is down to the interaction I had with other survivors, discovering that I was not alone in how I felt and what I'd experienced was mind blowing, and I did that here at MS.

I first disclosed my abuse to my wife back in 1999, so it's been a 9 year journey so far. It feels like 9 weeks!
That might sound very discouraging to anyone coming here for the first time and wondering when they will feel better, but the truth is you will feel better tomorrow, and better still the day after that, now that the wheels of recovery are in motion. Yes, there will be dark and troublesome days when it all seems too much to cope with, but if you have made this much effort then the dark days will be easier to deal with.
I still have them, I still deal with them. Even after all the work I've done, but now it's a natural thing that I have to do and I "just do it".

Being an abused man isn't easy, some people say being a man isn't easy these days! But we are slowly getting the recognition and resources we deserve.
The success of MS proves it, as does an 83% increase in men using our service.

Dave

http://www.axis-counselling.co.uk/index4.htm

http://www.axis-counselling.co.uk/

Edited by Lloydy (06/27/08 12:45 PM)

#234073 - 06/27/08 12:46 PM Re: hi there [Re: Lloydy]
Sans Logos Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: in my own world in pittsburgh,...
'st.' dave, i tried to pm you when i saw you were on line. your box is full......no shit?

anyway it does my heart good to hear from you again. i hope you are able to hang around for bit and become part of the stream again sharing your esh with the rest of us.

fondly,

ron

#234077 - 06/27/08 01:01 PM Re: hi there [Re: Sans Logos]
Lloydy Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: England Shropshire
aahhhh, I'll attend to that later tonight ..............

gotta rush off now.

#234094 - 06/27/08 01:58 PM Re: hi there [Re: Lloydy]
TJ jeff Offline

MaleSurvivor

Loc: Northern Wisconsin
Hi Dave - good to see you back \:\)

is great to know that things are moving forward in mens recovery in England - you're doing a great job

here in the states we are still fighting for change as well

it sure is a slow battle - but it's one that we will win if we don't give up

sayyy.. How's the wheeling going this year???

Abuse happens in silence/isolation - Recovery happens only when that silence/isolation is broken...

TJ's History

#234103 - 06/27/08 02:44 PM Re: hi there [Re: TJ jeff]
Muldoon Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: St Paul MN
Hi Dave ,I sure miss you around here. We always have new guys coming here and you where such a great welcoming person to all.

We have been busy here with the new experiment in healing called Healing Circles. Peer support over the internet has proven to be a valuable resource for the guys. We how have 7 Healing Circles going.

Good to hear that you and the wife are still together, and made it past all the hard times of years past. Keep up the good work over there. I would like to talk sometime about how you do your out reach over there.

Tom

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.