Newest Members
Xr2, clt, Lumpy, squeekinby, rhyoung
12371 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
drivejoepublic (44), eagle299 (43), H18 (21), JJJ (43), mariposaman (63), SevenTwoTwo76 (39), TexAgMan (37), waiter (44), wgwarch (55)
Who's Online
1 registered (JayBro), 42 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12371 Members
74 Forums
63591 Topics
444241 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#233925 - 06/26/08 09:29 PM Well, I'm offended!
FormerTexan Offline
Site Administrator
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Denver, CO
Actually, I'm not, but I wanted to bring up the topic. I've seen people in the news, in my every-day life say how they are so offended. At what? Was it truly an offense? Or is it something that just bothered them a bit? Some days it seems people just casually attach the word to any and everything that crosses their way the wrong way.

I've found a couple different definitions for "offend."

** to annoy, irritate, anger, cause resentful displeasure
** to violate or transgress, to hurt or cause pain to

I'm willing to bet most people will lean more towards the first definition in the everyday walks of life - at least, those I work with. Personally, if I were feeling the first definitions explanation of "offend," I'd rather say I feel resentful. Otherwise it seems that trying to apply the second definition is about as useful as Reba singing "I'm a survivor" at the end of the bouncy, pleasant-sounding jingle of her show (by the way, I find her casual use of 'I'm a survivor' offensive - I mean, I resent it).

To end my offensive rant, I leave you with a cartoon to consider. It is a strip of Bloom County, and this drawing went public in the early 80s. It can be viewed here. But I warn you, you could find it offensive.

How does "offensive" define for you?

Andy

Edited by FormerTexan (06/26/08 09:45 PM)

1. That

If I could meet myself as a boy...

#233943 - 06/26/08 10:03 PM Re: Well, I'm offended! [Re: FormerTexan]
Trish4850 Offline
BoD Liaison Emeritus
MaleSurvivor<

Loc: New Jersey
OMG that strip is offensive! \:D

ROCK ON.........Trish

#233951 - 06/26/08 10:12 PM Re: Well, I'm offended! [Re: Trish4850]
testingWaters Offline
MaleSurvivor

Funny, I'm more well-defended.......

#234091 - 06/27/08 01:22 PM Re: Well, I'm offended! [Re: testingWaters]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Andy,

Very cool indeed. Your post ought to make us think about ourselves first when we feel we have been offended. Note how the object of offense is always ourselves. Interesting.

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#234315 - 06/28/08 03:15 PM Re: Well, I'm offended! [Re: FormerTexan]
jcf1957 Offline

Loc: North Of The 49th Parallel
Interesting topic point well taken.

Gee; not that I want to infuriate or start a fluster party
but; do you mind me adding to this conspicuous rant with a query ?

Can someone tell me if male rape victims are offensive to society as a whole ? Or is it that we just live in a distant indifferent world who would rather forget that we exist.

Is this an offense ?

Today well lived...makes every tomorrow a vision of Hope.
Anonymous

#234334 - 06/28/08 05:57 PM Re: Well, I'm offended! [Re: jcf1957]
FormerTexan Offline
Site Administrator
MaleSurvivor
"Can someone tell me if male rape victims are offensive to society as a whole ? Or is it that we just live in a distant indifferent world who would rather forget that we exist."

Please, feel free to add to my column-esque rant.

I feel like I live in some alternate universe, as a survivor. I feel like the world will accept me if I don't make a fuss over what happened. Kinda feels like conditional acceptance for that matter. Offensive for them? Not sure, but most don't exactly make it easy to test this theory.

1. That

#234345 - 06/28/08 07:02 PM Re: Well, I'm offended! [Re: FormerTexan]
AndyJB2005 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Saint Paul, Minnesota
I feel sometimes people put "offended" on a statement because they (erroneously) feel it might give them more power or the "moral high ground" to support their statement. Like if somehow they're offended the other has the obligation to shut their mouth (they don't).

Lots of things are offensive in the world, and I just try to take the good and leave the rest...or else I go crazy...

My advice: if you don't like something, don't read/watch/listen to it. It makes living a lot easier.

Look at the American TV show "Family Guy." Every other sentence on there is offensive, but for some reason it's up there on the charts. Strange. I guess it's because no one is safe. *shrug*

P.S. -- I think "triggered" is getting that way, too. *shrug*

#234348 - 06/28/08 07:13 PM Re: Well, I'm offended! [Re: AndyJB2005]
AndyJB2005 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Saint Paul, Minnesota
From The Offspring's CD "Ixnay on the Hombre."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5UvuFI462c

Track 1 - "Disclaimer."

Ladies and Gentleman:

Welcome to the disclaimer, that's right, the disclaimer. This American apple pie institution known as "parental discretion" will cleanse any sense of innuendo or sarcasm from the lyrics which might actually make you think -- and will also insult your intelligence at the same time. So, protect your family! This album contains explicit depictions of things which are real, these real things are commonly known as life. So, if it sounds sarcastic, don't take it seriously. If it sounds dangerous, do not try this at home or at all. And if it offends you, just-don't-listen to it.

#234360 - 06/28/08 08:16 PM Re: Well, I'm offended! [Re: AndyJB2005]
FormerTexan Offline
Site Administrator
MaleSurvivor
"Like if somehow they're offended the other has the obligation to shut their mouth (they don't)."

Verrrry good point.

1. That

#234383 - 06/28/08 11:24 PM Re: Well, I'm offended! [Re: AndyJB2005]
WalkingSouth Offline
MaleSurvivor

I posted this a few years ago here but I think it applicable to the discussion so will put it up again.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.