Newest Members
MorganWut, myrlin, AaronS, BookHouseBoy, WeFallWeRise
12464 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Asmodeus (31), comeath3 (75), Roy (53), Skeeter (55), tazrad (43), Treehugger75 (39), waterworld (53)
Who's Online
6 registered (petercorbett, Don Laufersweiler, CCDC, LPC, Obi, 3 invisible), 18 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12464 Members
74 Forums
63991 Topics
446662 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#233757 - 06/26/08 11:07 AM The Supremes Have Spoken!
FormerTexan Offline
Site Administrator
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Denver, CO
Private gun ownership is upheld by the high court.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080626/ap_on_go_su_co/scotus_guns

WASHINGTON - The Supreme Court ruled Thursday that Americans have a right to own guns for self-defense and hunting, the justices' first major pronouncement on gun rights in U.S. history.

The court's 5-4 ruling struck down the District of Columbia's 32-year-old ban on handguns as incompatible with gun rights under the Second Amendment. The decision went further than even the Bush administration wanted, but probably leaves most firearms laws intact.

The court had not conclusively interpreted the Second Amendment since its ratification in 1791. The amendment reads: "A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

(Continued)

1. That

If I could meet myself as a boy...

#233921 - 06/26/08 09:22 PM Re: The Supremes Have Spoken! [Re: FormerTexan]
Trucker51 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Denver, CO
Andy:

It is kind of odd how polarizing an issue that gun ownership is. In the urban area that I grew up in, just in one year in the early 1970s, there were almost 1,200 murders, 800 alone just in the central city. 12 people died from gun violence just on New Year's Eve alone. And a story in one of the Detroit newspapers back then said that there were almost 8 times as many people wounded by guns in that same year. All of this happened in one large urban area that was then only 50% larger than the Denver metro area is now.

There are many millions of handguns held in private hands. Most are held allegedly for protection. Unless you are ex-military, law enforcement, a private investigator, a hardened criminal, a professional hitman, or maybe a devout militia follower, your chance of getting blown away is several times as likely as is your chance of surprising an armed assailant in your own house.

I know, out in the middle of nowhere, everybody has a gun, because nobody knows when the natives might attack again. They maintain their skills picking off the occasional coyote or prarie dog. And they just don't understand the dynamics and horror of urban handgun violence.

Just think: If my last perp hadn't had a handgun, most likely I wouldn't have been raped and tortured at the age of 18.

Mark

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.