Newest Members
RepressedMem, jet_step, JimHouston42, GKB, MorganWut
12468 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
AndyP (48), Gaius (50), JoziSA (52), mmafan66 (48), nltsaved (36), RMM (52), Steve63 (51), zenboy (51)
Who's Online
1 registered (myrlin), 27 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12468 Members
74 Forums
64028 Topics
446826 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#233836 - 06/26/08 03:28 PM Higher Powered Recovery
ineffable Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: state of holeecrapdood
I was reading a book on recovery & under a sub-chapter I came upon this premise:

Those affiliated with specific religions or denominations can sometimes deny their "shadow side".
Feeling the pressure to do well to prove their faith in God results in having difficulty talking about the things
that can & do go wrong in recovery.

It made sense to me but if I had to denominate myself I would be a buddhist christian scientist mysticist druid.
Me & my shadow know each other well enough.

Any comments?

#234108 - 06/27/08 03:08 PM Re: Higher Powered Recovery [Re: ineffable]
Sans Logos Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: in my own world in pittsburgh,...
great topic craig!

i just finished reading a great book on the shadow by robert a. johnson called owning your own shadow. i was led to it through my interest in the enneagram [of which i am mostly a 5]. the enneagram is a personality type study that offers a manner in which to contemplate holistically both sides of the coin of the human person: the good qualities and the 'bad' enlightening one to recognize the tools needed to strive toward striking a balance between the two polarities.

prior to my recovery and early on into it i attempted to use several 'drugs' to deny the 'shadow side' which largely had evolved as a result of the confusion that stemmed from my experience of having been abused. the drugs were;
drugs (pot, speed, lsd, coke)
alcohol
god
career development and work ethic
the intimacy dance
process addictions

you name it, if i thought it would make me more acceptable in the eyes of everyone else, then i would pursue it. today, i am sure that there were no eyes checking me out, but i do know that rather than being able to allow my darkness to manifest, i denied it at all costs. sure i did let it out in increments, but never in such a way as to find resolution from the tensions that brewed within.

before i made a conscious effort to allow my shadow to come out of the shadows recently, i had had my game face pretty well set. but now, i'm giving a bit more rein or reign to the other part of me, in the hopes that i will be better able to synthesize the two.

like mike says in his book, i organized my life around my wound, and that meant hiding my shadow, and everything i did in life was an attempt to get out of the sun so the darned thing could not be detected.

all i know is this: that i am no longer so afraid of tattoos as i used to be, because they represented an expression of shadow, and i was afraid to be around people who blatantly literally wore their shadow on their sleeve.

for me this is progress .... i guess you could say that's my denomination in a nutshell: less judgement and greater compassion for myself and others.

ron

#236916 - 07/09/08 01:44 AM Re: Higher Powered Recovery [Re: ineffable]
blueshift Offline

Loc: infinity
Originally Posted By: ineffable
I was reading a book on recovery & under a sub-chapter I came upon this premise:

Those affiliated with specific religions or denominations can sometimes deny their "shadow side".
Feeling the pressure to do well to prove their faith in God results in having difficulty talking about the things
that can & do go wrong in recovery.

It made sense to me but if I had to denominate myself I would be a buddhist christian scientist mysticist druid.
Me & my shadow know each other well enough.

Any comments?

Yeah, that sounds like the myth that spiritual people don't have problems making people think they have to have everything all squared away to be spiritual. But maybe being really spiritual is not being in control. Maybe being really spiritual is being completely human. just a thought.

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.