Newest Members
JohnWC, KKumar, J44, Anura, reynel5
12420 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
biggbill70 (44), CP4 (24), EddieMi (46), EddieT (46), hemi1024 (54), Kage (70), kdj_74 (40), Knightswhitehart (49), otlhouston (47), TX_Space (47), VirtualBman (50)
Who's Online
1 registered (petercorbett), 30 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12420 Members
74 Forums
63793 Topics
445487 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#233682 - 06/26/08 07:04 AM want to chang the color of my shift
blueshift Offline

Loc: infinity
It's kind of silly, but when I was choosing my screen name I got my astronomy terms mixed up. Had I remembered correctly which shift was which I would have chosen redshift. Redshift is the visual distortion caused by an object moving away and blueshift is a similar distortion caused by the object moving towards you.

Well, in my mind, away means escape..getting the hell out of dodge..leaving my old life (and my abuse) behind. Towards means..I don't know..maybe a collision? Red is also my favorite color.
It would be nice to be the right color going the right direction. I could post an announcement in off topic to let every one know that it's the same shift but different color.

So is there a way to change your screen name after you've already registered with one?

#233691 - 06/26/08 07:33 AM Re: want to chang the color of my shift [Re: blueshift]
king tut Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: UK
i was wondering about that, blueshift, so i just thought it was about coming together, where as red is the colour usually thought of as bad, and light is redshifted when it is moving away, so i thought that would be getting rid of badness, and blueshift pulling yourself together, so i think either idea works quite well.

red is my favourite colour actually too, but red does have a lot of bad thigs with it, evil, blood, and things like that.

i dont know the answer to your question though

I love you, little lewis, and i will never leave you. We are the same. You brighten my day, and i will make sure that i brighten yours. Hugs and kisses.

#233698 - 06/26/08 07:57 AM Re: want to chang the color of my shift [Re: king tut]
JustScott Offline
Greeter Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

As a huge lover of Astronomy, I just gotta post that there is actually a dabate going on in some circles about what really causes, "redshift" and "blueshift". Guess someone made an observation that didn't seem to fit the current assumption so now they're wondering if their assumption is wrong. One astronomer flat out said that if we are wrong, it could change a whole heck of a lot about what we currently think on things. Course it'll take another 40 to 50 years to update the text books (not that they've come to a decision yet) so you're fine for this lifetime!!! ;-)

Dang I love astronomy!!! I was writing papers.... Doh.... this is so not on topic... SORRY!!

As far as I know, the only way to change yer name is to register a new account :-( You'd think that someone would be able to sneak into the site Database and edit a username.... but then again, it depends on how it's setup.

As for the BlueShift part of things..... Just tell people you did it on purpose, because it's about "coming closer" to who you really want to be! ;-)

Edited by JustScott (06/26/08 07:58 AM)

#233715 - 06/26/08 08:36 AM Re: want to chang the color of my shift [Re: blueshift]
Sans Logos Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: in my own world in pittsburgh,...
i think changing the screen name may be about as easy as getting the pope to change religions.

all seriousness aside, regarding your dilemma with the colors:

i can rationalize anything. if i can't accept it, i will at least convince myself that i do and 'pretend'.

anyway, that said, here's i believe

i do the same thing with my name, sans [without] logos [words]. when i first came here i was without my own voice. after being here and achieving a modicum of recovery, i went from being 'without words' to 'speechless'. it's all about the angle.

so in your case, bear with me here:
you are truly blueshift, because in the mirror of male survivor, you are actually moving closer to yourself and away from the old you.

TADA!!!!

\:o

#233768 - 06/26/08 11:53 AM Re: want to chang the color of my shift [Re: Sans Logos]
blueshift Offline

Interesting thoughts, guys! Thanx. Yeah, I guess it's really just how I look at it. I remember my thoughts when I was registering, I was trying to think of what particular feeling or impression would be most suggestive to me of a feeling of freedom from my SA issues. What came to mind most was the rush I get out of speed like when I had my old V-8 Valliant and an empty stretch of highway, or better yet when I'm flying and the airplane is just taking off..OMG! I love that feeling! I think if I could do MACH 3 I'd have a multiple orgasm!

Anyway, the red/blueshift thing came to mind because as I understand it, it takes something going pretty fast to cause the light waves to do whatever they do that creates the color change.

BTW, that's interesting JustScott, I thought the shift thing was all established, but then again, I guess scientific thought is always...shifting.lol

But I guess when it comes right down to it the direction of the speed isn't that important since it's only relative to the observer.

Hmmm. I almost feel like there might be some deep metaphor here, but maybe not...I haven't had enough coffee yet..too many dead circuit neurons. But I like your re-frame Sans! That sounds just right! Toward the new me and away from the old. It occurs to me now that anything that is a redshift to one observer would also be a blueshift to another, so you really can't just be one or the other, you have to be both. Maybe I should be purpleshift since purple is red and blue! haha

OK, some new neurons are lighting up now--I think there is a metaphor here. I'm just thinking out loud now, but what comes to mind is the different grades of colored belts in martial arts. The original idea of that was that as a belt is worn and used more and more it gets more black and then after it's as black as it can be it starts going threadbare and becomes white again and in a way it has come "full circle".

The point of that is that it's actually the same belt represented by the different colors to indicate different stages. The "full circle" is when I'm no longer trying to escape because in reality there is only myself to escape from.

Well, I'm getting a long way from the subject of how to change my screen name, but what a wealth of intriguing thoughts this conversation has sparked! I think I'll stop here and process this more.

#233795 - 06/26/08 01:43 PM Re: want to chang the color of my shift [Re: blueshift]
blueshift Offline

So let's just forget about the screen name change. I changed my mind about that. It isn't important. Redshift, blueshift, same thing.

http://www.malesurvivor.org/board/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=233793&page=0#Post233793

#234116 - 06/27/08 04:19 PM Re: want to chang the color of my shift [Re: blueshift]
ineffable Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: state of holeecrapdood
redshift, blueshift... you'll always be Mr Shift

#234828 - 07/01/08 01:38 AM Re: want to chang the color of my shift [Re: ineffable]
blueshift Offline

Mr shift kinda sounds like a cool name for a jazz or downtempo band!

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.