Newest Members
Won'tGiveUp, sillyputty, Pytbull, manipulated, donmarks
12383 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Alan Fountain (52), blindpet (31), egoror (49), Midas (33), uwa (78)
Who's Online
4 registered (Banjo596, Bardo, 2 invisible), 34 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12383 Members
74 Forums
63646 Topics
444506 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#233097 - 06/24/08 02:13 PM Helping the Monster: A 10-Minute Dream
MemoryVault Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: NJ
After the second awful night in a row, I hit the snooze button at 6:00. I had the first dream that Iíve remembered in a long timeóover a year.

I was wandering through a monasteryódesigned a bit like a castle, very old but partly modernized. Outside, in my car, was a monster I'd been touring around with. Not a particularly scary or evil monster, but definitely something stitched together by someone out of stuff lying around. It was trying to find out where it came from and I was trying to help. It may have been locked in a dungeon in this monastery for years, but it didnít know, and couldnít deal with being thereóbesides, it really shouldnít be seen in public. So Iíd offered to go in and look around, and bring it in if I found anything.

Iíd been to the basement, but nothing dungeon-like was there, and I was climbing a long spiral staircaseóalmost up to the roof, but that didnít seem to make sense for a place to keep a monster, so I turned around. A monk was leading me down a hall, originally stone but it had been plastered over, and showed me a door that he told me was where the old abbot had lived. I went in alone to a plain bedroom, trying to decide if there was anything original there. It occurred to me that if the abbot had been keeping a monster in secret, the dungeon or whatever it was would lead off of the bedroom. I knelt down to look for signs of a trapdoor or passage.

Then the alarm went off at 6:10.

Thoughtsó

Wow, my unconscious is being pretty obvious!

The monastery looked a bit like scenes from a computer game Iíd been playing.

Whatís weird is that none of the important figures were there. The monster was hiding in my car; the dungeon was lost, and may not even have existed; the abbot was dead. The dream is about me looking around. I wasnít having a good or bad time in the dreamóI just had a job to do. There was a monster I was trying to help. I was curious, but my life didnít hinge on the search.

I guess what Iíve been trying to find is that detachment. Instead of ignoring the question of what happened or didnít, or thinking I must have the answers now or Iíll fall apartójust poke around, figure out what I can, and hope that it helps.

Any thoughts?

Edited by MemoryVault (06/24/08 02:16 PM)

#233098 - 06/24/08 02:27 PM Re: Helping the Monster: A 10-Minute Dream [Re: MemoryVault]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
My guess as to part of the meaning.

You see your life is like an old haunted castle with cobwebs, etc. hanging around.

You still have some memory work to do. There is a hidden "monster" in your subconscious. You are terrified of this monster. You would feel better if you could get the monster out in the sunlight.

You are lonely except for these monsters. (I just read another of your posts).

Puffer

Edited by pufferfish (06/24/08 05:21 PM)

#233447 - 06/25/08 10:37 AM Re: Helping the Monster: A 10-Minute Dream [Re: pufferfish]
VLinvictus Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: NY
You're right, MV. Your unconscious is being quite obvious, more so than mine. I still have no clue what to make of my recent dreams about a succession crises in the Austro-Hungarian Empire and a rabbi I used to work for being pursued by nefarious forces on a quest for the Holy Grail.

Puffer's right that the monastery/castle is your memory or your past (was it, by any chance, the monaster in Season 7 of [i}Buffy[/i]?). Your search is an attempt to find out if the monster really did live in the monastery -- if something inappropriate really did happen between your father and you or not. The futility of the search reflects your uncertainty and inability to open the memory vault sufficiently enough at this point to see what's in there or not.

That the monster is a kind of Frankensteinish golem stitched together from bits and pieces that you have nonetheless been able to tour around with reflects the fact that you can get along with your dad and have halfway decent times with him, but his identity to you -- your relationship to him -- is fragmented and artificial and chimeric. It's not "normal" and you don't know what to make of it.

One question is whether this dream is just de>

#233660 - 06/26/08 04:04 AM Re: Helping the Monster: A 10-Minute Dream [Re: VLinvictus]
blueshift Offline

Loc: infinity
Most of my dreams are ptsd nightmares which I don't think of as real dreams. I never feel like there is a message in them; they just keep cycling like a machine that's stuck.

But when I do have a real dream I find that if I really focus on it there is some distinct feeling about it which I tend to think is usually more what the dream is telling me than whatever interpretation I might make based on the symbolism. Not that the symbolism approach is wrong, but I really think that if there is some distinct feeling or impression that goes with the dream as a whole, than that is important to look at.

It sounds to me like that distinct feeling in this case might be

"I guess what Iíve been trying to find is that detachment. Instead of ignoring the question of what happened or didnít, or thinking I must have the answers now or Iíll fall apartójust poke around, figure out what I can, and hope that it helps. "

#233665 - 06/26/08 04:51 AM Re: Helping the Monster: A 10-Minute Dream [Re: blueshift]
testingWaters Offline
MaleSurvivor

Most of my dreams are full of puns or weird language play.

Did you notice that Monster is two letters short of Mon(a)ster(y).

That Monster is "hidden" in Monastery? And that it is hidden in plain view? In other words, it is right in front of you but the way you are trying to find it isn't working?

Just some thoughts......

#233677 - 06/26/08 06:42 AM Re: Helping the Monster: A 10-Minute Dream [Re: testingWaters]
MemoryVault Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: NJ
Wow...thanks for all your interpretations!

Quote:
That the monster is a kind of Frankensteinish golem stitched together from bits and pieces that you have nonetheless been able to tour around with reflects the fact that you can get along with your dad and have halfway decent times with him, but his identity to you -- your relationship to him -- is fragmented and artificial and chimeric. It's not "normal" and you don't know what to make of it.

I see the monster and "me" in the dream as two sides of me. The monster is the part of me that didn't get a lot of the basics (social skills, love, self-esteem) and cobbled together what he needed from books, TV and imagination. It wasn't pretty and didn't work very well, but was rather heroic and even kind of sweet.

"Me" is the adult everyone sees--not polished but passable. Sort of detached, loves solving problems, doesn't really connect to the problem. Doesn't hate the monster in the car, but doesn't quite identify either.

Quote:
You are lonely except for these monsters. (I just read another of your posts).

Interesting...I think you're right, Puffer. We're really only connected to the things we're struggling to disconnect from.

Blueshift--I agree about the symbols and feelings... Not sure about the detachment now--is that a goal? Or something to try to get past? (I'd been very depressed when I had that dream and detachment seemed great. Now, I think I'm ready for some connection again.)

TW -- Monastery/monster. That's cool. Now I'll have to sleep with a Thesaurus by my bed! (I used to dream about elevators a lot...must have been elated.)

Thanks guys!

David

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.