Newest Members
MorganWut, myrlin, AaronS, BookHouseBoy, WeFallWeRise
12464 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
isol8er (43), omrfople (38)
Who's Online
2 registered (2 invisible), 15 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12464 Members
74 Forums
63992 Topics
446665 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#233538 - 06/25/08 05:43 PM Obama supports rape executions (CNN)
testingWaters Offline
MaleSurvivor

Obama supports rape executions
Posted: 05:20 PM ET

CHICAGO, Illinois (CNN) — Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama says he disagrees with a Supreme Court decision striking down the death penalty for child rapists, telling reporters Wednesday that states should be able to execute people for “heinous” crimes.

“I think that the rape of small child, 6 or 8 years old, is a heinous crime,” the Illinois senator said. “And if a state makes a decision that under narrow, limited, well-defined circumstances the death penalty is at least potentially applicable, that does not violate our Constitution.”

The Supreme Court ruled 5-4 that capital punishment can be applied only to murderers, striking down a death sentence for a Louisiana man convicted of sexually assaulting his 8-year-old stepdaughter.

#233544 - 06/25/08 06:11 PM Re: Obama supports rape executions (CNN) [Re: testingWaters]
curly Offline

good

#233552 - 06/25/08 07:10 PM Re: Obama supports rape executions (CNN) [Re: curly]
testingWaters Offline
MaleSurvivor

In a state with the Capital Punishment fiasco Illinois went through? Obama ought to know better.

#233564 - 06/25/08 08:11 PM Re: Obama supports rape executions (CNN) [Re: testingWaters]
Trish4850 Offline
BoD Liaison Emeritus
MaleSurvivor<

Loc: New Jersey
“And if a state makes a decision that under narrow, limited, well-defined circumstances the death penalty is at least potentially applicable, that does not violate our Constitution.”

I think his answer was actually very non-committal - leave the door open, but make sure the entrance is blocked. Politically wise.

It's a tough question, for me anyway. I've gone back and forth on the death penalty issue more times than I can count. But if a case involves the personal desecration or death of a child, it invokes a visceral reaction in me blocking all reasonable thought or willingness to hear reasonable arguments. My first thought is to let a loved one of that child have at it, no questions asked.

It may not be the way of a "civilized" society, but....

ROCK ON........Trish

#234972 - 07/01/08 04:03 PM Re: Obama supports rape executions (CNN) [Re: Trish4850]
BJK Offline
MaleSurvivor

It's kind of a moot point anyway, since Obama can't overrule the Supreme Court.

What the world needs now
Is some new words of wisdom
Like la la la la la la la la la.
-David Lowery

Having a friend who will keep a secret for you is worthless compared to a friend who won't keep a secret from you.

#234981 - 07/01/08 04:46 PM Re: Obama supports rape executions (CNN) [Re: BJK]
Trish4850 Offline
BoD Liaison Emeritus
MaleSurvivor<

Loc: New Jersey
Very true.

#235046 - 07/01/08 07:24 PM Re: Obama supports rape executions (CNN) [Re: Trish4850]
theatrekid Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: oregon
I'm disapointed in Obama for making this stance. It seems like since he has entered the general election he is giving up on some of the ideals he spoke so loudly about only a few weeks ago.

But he is still the best hope i think our country has for a leader to put us back on track.

#235065 - 07/01/08 08:37 PM Re: Obama supports rape executions (CNN) [Re: theatrekid]
WalkingSouth Offline
MaleSurvivor

Christopher,

I hear you. I guess that's why they're called politicians. sigh....

#235117 - 07/01/08 10:51 PM Re: Obama supports rape executions (CNN) [Re: WalkingSouth]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
The way I read it the whole thing is being misrepresented by the press for the sake of creating a sensation (which sells newspapers). The issue isn't whether rapists should be executed, but whether a state has the right to decide on its own which crimes are "heinous" enough to warrant the death penalty.

But it's still politics of course. Obama's strategic argument is that yes, he can indeed point to issues where he opposes the interference of the Federal government into matters that are rightly those of the individual states.

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#235187 - 07/02/08 01:18 AM Re: Obama supports rape executions (CNN) [Re: roadrunner]
theatrekid Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: oregon
Larry thanks for setting me straight. Normally i am really good at looking at a story. but i have been distracted with work.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.