Newest Members
JayNL, Robert Barrett, lostsoul824, beatcook, MassGuy
12279 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
melnjams (42), rage (27)
Who's Online
2 registered (Bluedogone, 1 invisible), 24 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12279 Members
73 Forums
63193 Topics
441857 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#232025 - 06/19/08 10:36 PM Sex Offender Wins $57 Million
AndyJB2005 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Saint Paul, Minnesota
http://news.aol.com/story/_a/sex-offender-wins-57-million-in-lottery/20080619161509990001

Sex Offender Wins $57 Million in Lottery
AP
Posted: 2008-06-19 18:03:59
Filed Under: Nation News

LANSING, Mich. (June 19) - The winner of last week's $57 million Mega Millions lottery jackpot is a registered sex offender who also pleaded guilty to two breaking and entering charges in the 1980s.

Fred Topous Jr., 45, was discharged from Michigan Department of Corrections supervision in October 2006.

The Kent City man traveled to Lansing on Tuesday to claim the prize from Friday's drawing in the multistate game. Topous chose to take the prize as a $34 million lump sum payment, before taxes.

Topous said he planned to buy a house, send his children to college and have some fun with his winnings. He said he and his wife work multiple jobs to make ends meet and thought they'd have to work till they died.

"I want to enjoy a little bit of life," Topous told state lottery officials. "We're plain folks. We've struggled all our lives."

According to the Corrections Department's offender profile, Topous pleaded guilty to breaking and entering charges in 1984 and 1988 and to assault with intent to commit sexual penetration in 1999. In the latter case, Topous was charged with having sex with a 13-year-old girl, USA Today reported.

All three offenses occurred in Grand Traverse County. Prosecutor Alan Schneider said Wednesday that he wasn't familiar with the cases.

The Michigan Lottery told Grand Rapids television station WOOD that anyone can play the lottery except those under 18 and those who work for the agency.

"He's had some tough breaks," friend and co-worker Jan Westcott told The Grand Rapids Press. "I know some of his secrets, and he knows some of mine. I'm not going any further."

A telephone message was left with Topous on Wednesday night.

Copyright 2008 The Associated Press. The information contained in the AP news report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or otherwise distributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press. All active hyperlinks have been inserte

#232032 - 06/19/08 11:05 PM Re: Sex Offender Wins $57 Million [Re: AndyJB2005]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
Life just aint fair is it?

Puffer

#232035 - 06/19/08 11:21 PM Re: Sex Offender Wins $57 Million [Re: pufferfish]
JasonSmalls Offline

Loc: NJ
yep. saw it on AOL news a lil while ago. i was talkin bout it in chat. that soooooo figures! such bullshit!

the victims families should sue him now for $57 million.

#232175 - 06/20/08 12:03 PM Re: Sex Offender Wins $57 Million [Re: JasonSmalls]
Marinan Offline

I don't mind the fact that a former Hitler has gotten so much money. I just mind the fact that us normal people don't get half that much.

#232186 - 06/20/08 12:43 PM Re: Sex Offender Wins $57 Million [Re: Marinan]
michael banks Offline

Loc: Mojave Desert, Ca
Hopely he will use some of that money to get help for himself. Like getting castrated.

Edited by michael banks (06/20/08 12:44 PM)

"IT ought never be forgotten that the past is the parent of the future" John C. Calhoun

WOR Alumni Sequoia 2009

#232296 - 06/20/08 10:27 PM Re: Sex Offender Wins $57 Million [Re: michael banks]
Thomas J Offline

Loc: Oklahoma
hopefully hell choke on it. i hope the ppl he done stuff 2 gets it all n he gets nothin. tj

#232462 - 06/21/08 09:15 PM Re: Sex Offender Wins $57 Million [Re: Thomas J]
theatrekid Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: oregon
Guys your probably going not going to agree with me for saying this. But isn't this a nation of laws? didn't this man plead guilty and serve his time? I'm not saying what he did was right. What he did was wrong he made some poor little child a survivor just like us. but he has already served his time. making him a lower class citizen and vilifying him dose nothing to address the problem.

maybe instead of vilifying the sex offender who won the lottery, we should actually had a discussion about what makes a sex offender, and ways to treat, and educate as preventative measures just maybe we could begin to put an end to child abuse. But so long as we just make these men the bad guys and throw them to jail and upon release make it so they can hardly find work or decent housing they will keep re-offending.

I want to make it clear i'm not saying perps shouldnt be punished for what they did. If it were up to me my abuser would go to jail for a long time. But i do think the goal of the punishment needs to change.

just trying to be rational,
Chris

#232648 - 06/22/08 10:22 PM Re: Sex Offender Wins $57 Million [Re: theatrekid]
WalkingSouth Offline
MaleSurvivor

I kinda like the way you think, Christopher. Well said.

Further, while I believe there is a time and place for anger at the people who perpetrated against us, I also believe that hanging on to that anger and using it to vilify and rail uselessly against them is a detriment to our own healing. Our time and energy would be much better spent in pursuing our own healing and/or working on educating the public on CSA issues.

#232701 - 06/23/08 01:28 AM Re: Sex Offender Wins $57 Million [Re: WalkingSouth]
theatrekid Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: oregon
Thanks John, I kinda like the way you think as well. \:\)

and i agree with you about what you about using our anger.

I remember in therapy i went through a stage of being extremely angry. My T said anger was good he told me to let it out that it could be used to constructively to help me.I began writing letting my anger bleed out across the pages. Then about a week later i remember breaking down it was like the anger just left me and instead i was left with a deep sadness. When i told my T about this he told me Anger is a weird thing he said we use it to mask our real emotions. At first i was confused because the week before he told me to embrace the anger but then i realized we have to go through it to discover our real feelings.

I'm kind of mumbling now \:\) i guess all i'm saying is be angry thats ok its even healthy, just realize there is more to life than being angry.

enough preaching from me,
Christopher

#232705 - 06/23/08 01:43 AM Re: Sex Offender Wins $57 Million [Re: theatrekid]
Thomas J Offline

Loc: Oklahoma
ok u lost me walkingsouth. i dunno what all those words mean. but the guy won like lots of money so now he dont gotta work he can buy a nice place t take kids now sry but i think that sucks. even if nobody agrees with me i think it sucks. tj

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.