Newest Members
BusterJones, Desperateforhelp, aniceguy, Green_Lantern, Safe11ride
12121 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
alan's marc (43), Opal (59)
Who's Online
4 registered (TKC, teba, 2 invisible), 72 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12121 Members
73 Forums
62528 Topics
438168 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#232376 - 06/21/08 10:14 AM Trying to adopt a cat is hard!
Trish4850 Offline
BoD Liaison Emeritus
MaleSurvivor<

Loc: New Jersey
I saw the most beautiful cat the other day at PetSmart. His name is Blanka. He is a 1 year old Turkish Angora - pure white with two gray finger prints on the top of his head. He is a rescue cat from a home breeder a/k/a hoarder who had too many. I completed the application to the adoption service but they don't like the fact that I said I would have him declawed if I got him. The reasons I would do this are many, but the biggest is that the cat I have now is declawed so it wouldn't seem fair that one is and one isn't. Anyway, I went to visit Blanka again last night and it appeared that he is declawed; I sure didn't feel any, but the adoption service says he's not and they won't let me have him if I insist on declawing him. OK, so maybe I won't but now they're mad at me 'cause my 10 year old hasn't been to the vet for her senior well check up. WTF! I've had dogs and cats my whole life - they went to the vet if they were sick. My last two guys were 15 and 17 years old before they died, not exactly short timers! I've been pleading my case via e-mail all morning. I want this cat!

#232382 - 06/21/08 10:33 AM Re: Trying to adopt a cat is hard! [Re: Trish4850]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Trish,

He sounds like a great cat. And that PetSmart place just sounds like they are trying to find the best possible homes for their animals. The check-up for the older cat sounds like they are concerned for the possibility that he will catch something and pass it on to Blanka.

My sister had to jump through hoops to get a rescue Scottie, by the way. They even insisted on seeing her house to determine if it's "suitable for a dog". Funny idea, that. I always thought of a "suitable home" in terms of enough beds to jump up on and at least one Forbidden Chair to sneak onto for a nap.

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#232389 - 06/21/08 11:02 AM Re: Trying to adopt a cat is hard! [Re: roadrunner]
Trish4850 Offline
BoD Liaison Emeritus
MaleSurvivor<

I know they're doing what they think is best - but they're killin' me!

Anyway, they've nixed me adopting Blanka; so sad. Now they're pushing Maggie, who is already declawed and has a thyroid problem. My Zachary had a thyroid problem and was on meds for 7+ years; they know that so they'd like me to take Maggie since I have experience. I'll gladly meet her and see where that goes.

#232846 - 06/23/08 08:58 PM Re: Trying to adopt a cat is hard! [Re: Trish4850]
BJK Offline
MaleSurvivor

Good luck, Trish.

Might I recommend trying to adopt a cat from a friend? It's much easier that way, and there always seem to be a couple of people around my place of employment who are trying to get rid of a cat.

I got Buddy that way. He's the three year old gray tabby that I've posted about on the member side, and he's the most perfect cat in the whole world. My buddy wanted to get rid of him, I went to meet him, and I was instantly sold.

Oh...and might I recommend that if you are going to adopt a cat from a place like PetSmart, do NOT mention that you are going to get it declawed.

Bryan

What the world needs now
Is some new words of wisdom
Like la la la la la la la la la.
-David Lowery

Having a friend who will keep a secret for you is worthless compared to a friend who won't keep a secret from you.

#232866 - 06/23/08 09:37 PM Re: Trying to adopt a cat is hard! [Re: BJK]
Trish4850 Offline
BoD Liaison Emeritus
MaleSurvivor<

Hi Bryan,

Yeah, maybe being honest isn't always the best policy but I never thought to do otherwise. They are not going to let me have Blanka \:\( It's for the best right now anyway. Maybe when I get back from vacation, I'll think about it again.

#233308 - 06/24/08 10:22 PM Re: Trying to adopt a cat is hard! [Re: Trish4850]
Jeff S. Offline

Loc: Northern WIsconsin
The funny thing is, you never really adopt a cat....they adopt you. Also remember, dogs have owners, cats have staff.

Jeff

#233328 - 06/24/08 11:13 PM Re: Trying to adopt a cat is hard! [Re: Jeff S.]
king tut Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: UK
I hope you do get the cat you want Trish, but i must mention as soon as i saw the title of this thread i thought, Trish? and yep it was you, you are not doing anything for your image of crazy cat lady lol

I love you, little lewis, and i will never leave you. We are the same. You brighten my day, and i will make sure that i brighten yours. Hugs and kisses.

#233525 - 06/25/08 04:32 PM Re: Trying to adopt a cat is hard! [Re: king tut]
Trish4850 Offline
BoD Liaison Emeritus
MaleSurvivor<

Lewis my friend - a treky should not throw stones at crazy cat ladies *lol* Besides, right now I only have 1, going for 2, which is well clear of crazy cat lady. My daugher is eyeing the feral kittens wandering around my condo but I really hope they're quick enough to evade her.

Jeff, you're 100% right! You do a nice thing and take them off the street and then they take over!

ROCK ON..........Trish

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.