Newest Members
RepressedMem, jet_step, JimHouston42, GKB, MorganWut
12468 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
AndyP (48), Gaius (50), JoziSA (52), mmafan66 (48), nltsaved (36), RMM (52), Steve63 (51), zenboy (51)
Who's Online
3 registered (3 invisible), 22 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12468 Members
74 Forums
64030 Topics
446834 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#232358 - 06/21/08 08:45 AM Art Show for Survivors' Work
Ken Singer, LCSW Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Lambertville, NJ USA
F·E·G·S
HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES SYSTEM Seventeenth Annual Sexual Abuse Survivors’ Show
L.I.F.E. PROGRAM 10/3/08, Artist’s Reception & Opening, 6pm to 8pm
445 Oak Street 10/4/08, Show and Gallery Open, 11am to 5pm
Copiague, NY 11725 Stony Brook University, Student Activities Center
631.264.2915 Nicolls Road, Stony Brook, NY 11794
631.264.3903 FAX

WE ARE LOOKING FOR ARTISTS…

The Sexual Abuse Survivors’ Show (SASS) is a multi-dimensional project featuring the artistic expression of sexual abuse survivors. This show offers a safe space for survivors to exhibit their creative work. Additionally, the show provides a culturally and socially enriching experience for the public.

The SASS show hopes to achieve the following:
· Offer a cathartic healing experience for the survivors/artists who submit their artwork
· Raise public awareness about the prevalence of sexual abuse and the devastating aftermath for the survivors
· Provide education for professionals about the use of art as a healing medium

F∙E∙G∙S’ SASS is attended by:
· Child and adult survivors of sexual abuse
· Family and friends of survivors
· Behavioral health professionals
· General public

SASS will be held at Stony Brook University, Student Activities Center, Ballroom A, located at Nicolls Rd., Stony Brook, NY. This year’s SASS will feature an Artist’s Reception on Friday, October 3rd from 6pm to 8pm,. On Saturday, October 4th from 11am to 5pm, the show will also include performance artists and a labyrinth walk.

Please feel free to copy the enclosed “Call for Art” and share it with others. All artists must complete a “Call for Art” in order to participate in the show.

If you need further information please contact Holly Beck, Coordinator, F.E.G.S. – L.I.F.E. Program, 631.264.2915 x 302, hbeck@fegs.org at 445 Oak Street, Copiague, NY 11726.

There are no fees charged for either displaying art or attending the show. The only requirements are applicants be survivors of sexual abuse and wish to display their artwork. All applicants who fulfill this requirement are accepted.

PLEASE VISIT OUR WEBSITE: http://www.fegs.org/sasshow

2008 SASS Committee

F·E·G·S
HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES SYSTEM Seventeenth Annual Sexual Abuse Survivors’ Show
L.I.F.E. PROGRAM October 3rd, 2008 , Artist’s Reception & Opening 6pm to 8pm
445 Oak Street, First Floor October 4th, 2008, Show and Gallery Open 11am to 5pm
Copiague, NY 11726 Stony Brook University, Student Activity Center
631.264.2915 Nicolls Rd., Stony Brook, NY 11794
631.264.3903 FAX

SASS 2008 CALL FOR ART

Artists are limited to seven pieces of work. Work may be in any medium – for example: paint, photography, video, dance, music, poetry… Unless stated otherwise, photos/videos/audio may be taken of your work and may be included in the program. If you wish to sell your work, we require the following information: artist’s name, name of work, and price of work. Criteria for participation in this event must include recovery from sexual abuse.

Please provide the following information-must be legible!

Artist’s Name: ______________________________________________________________________________

Artist’s Address: ___________________________________________________________________________

Phone Number: _______________________________ E-Mail Address: _______________________________

Would you be interested in wearing a name tag to identify yourself as an artist? ___Yes ___ No

All participants must sign the following release:
I agree to be responsible for the shipping costs for my art or to be responsible for dropping off and picking up my artwork. I agree that I am responsible for the security of my art and the results of my actions. Neither SASS nor any participating organization undertakes liability to the artists for any occurrences during the SASS show.

Signed: _______________________________________Please Print: ___________________________________

Please mail completed form, brief biography (see attached samples) and de>

Edited by ModTeam (06/30/08 07:04 PM)

#232397 - 06/21/08 11:46 AM Re: Art Show for Survivors' Work [Re: Ken Singer, LCSW]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
This looks like a great occasion, Ken. Man, I wish I could be there!

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#232485 - 06/21/08 11:13 PM Re: Art Show for Survivors' Work [Re: roadrunner]
king tut Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: UK
that looks cool Ken

i think malesurvivor, with the success of the members image forum, is proof of the worth of this point

· Provide education for professionals about the use of art as a healing medium

i'm not in America, so when the SASS does take place, is there any way we can look at the submitted art work too?

I love you, little lewis, and i will never leave you. We are the same. You brighten my day, and i will make sure that i brighten yours. Hugs and kisses.

#232497 - 06/21/08 11:52 PM Re: Art Show for Survivors' Work [Re: king tut]
king tut Offline
MaleSurvivor

lol, something just struck me

"Criteria for participation in this event must include recovery from sexual abuse."

what does that mean, that doesn't make any sense, it's hard to imagine it means complete recovery, although we'll think about that in a moment, but if it means partial recovery, then are we to say that the exclusion point (from partial recovery) here means when there is no recovery, either during the abuse or during the period where the problem hasn't been faced? if it is not being faced then they wouldn't enter the exhibition, so there would be no need to add that criteria in the article, so it must mean art work done during abuse, but that is an abstract statement to make, perhaps just a warning to stop people who are suffering to submit their work? that doesn't make sense, perhaps a way to validate entries, that kind of exclusion process is not consistent with how sexual abuse issues are dealt with in the professional world from what i know and therefore would not be dealt with in that way in this situation which suppose to be an education, so also that cant be what it means, so what does it mean, it seems to mean full recovery.

that's a BIG criteria, and i was thinking, isn't that the wrong way to go about it, wouldn't it be perhaps more educational and fitting to this point

. Raise public awareness about the prevalence of sexual abuse and the devastating aftermath for the survivors

if people who are still struggling (and therefore prominent in how they feel) get the chance to put their input into the exhibition, and surely then, that would have more of an impact in this point too

. Offer a cathartic healing experience for the survivors/artists who submit their artwork

where more than just being merely cathartic, it would actually be more healing

but besides that odd anomaly, which i don't know, when i read it, it seems that it may just be a way of saying, we want this to be a positive exhibition, make sure you have positive messages (your recovered yippy) lets not depress people because they wont be interested, people dont like to hear about your miserable lives so lets make it into a story of the survivor, the hero, the tragic shakespearean plot or something that has an eloquent silver lining kind of thing, otherwise it seems like a really good idea, just wish that that criteria didn't seem to exclude 99% of survivors if it means fully recovered, because people have issues, it's just the way it is, just wish when i read that line it didn't make me think, wait a minute, who is in charge, do they really get it, is this a publicity stunt, just wish it didn't make me feel that that line condemns everybody who is struggling to survive and pushing them aside- saying your voice shouldn't be heard, criteria for participation in this event must include recovery from sexual abuse

but of course, the document was merely worded in an inexact way, it was probably written just to emphasise recovery, without any thought of what the, de-emphasis, i suppose, implies

just the way i read it that's all, but one thing to bare in mind, is people who may want to consider submitting work may be very nervous, and that kind of anomaly, that kind of seed of doubt, could make them change their mind (i'm not talking about me or anything lol, i'm just saying- and it looks like i have too much time on my hands argh better go to sleep and stop avoiding it- and Ken- i know it always seems that i leave negative comments on your threads- but i don't mean to, you just always seem to bring something to discuss- really- this is a good sign)

Edited by king tut (06/21/08 11:55 PM)

I love you, little lewis, and i will never leave you. We are the same. You brighten my day, and i will make sure that i brighten yours. Hugs and kisses.

#233374 - 06/25/08 01:13 AM Re: Art Show for Survivors' Work [Re: king tut]
blueshift Offline

Loc: infinity
You know, I never even thought about that until you brought it up. I'm sure your right; it's just a not so well thought out wording but, I think I agree that it may have been better put.

I'm kind of exited about it though. I'm hoping to get some of my stuff in there...and if I'm not "recovered" enough, oh well! lol

#233566 - 06/25/08 08:24 PM Re: Art Show for Survivors' Work [Re: blueshift]
Ken Singer, LCSW Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

I forwarded Tut's post (with no identification of him) to the org that is sponsoring the art show. Here is her reply:

Hi Ken,

Would you send the following reply to the young man at the MS Website:

The particular phrase “Criteria for participation in this event must include recovery from sexual abuse” is not meant to imply that individuals who are not fully in recovery, and have had the experience of some form of sexual abuse are not welcome.

Several years ago, we had a person who misrepresented himself to display his work – he was not a survivor and it wasn’t until after the show that this information came out. That is when we added that particular phrase.

The show was specifically designed by individuals with sexual abuse histories as a safe space to display their work as part of their healing process.

We do not and have never censored any persons work – it would be disrespectful and dishonor a person’s experiences – people in all phases of recovery have presented their particular form of art, from those just recognizing the effects, to those fully aware.

I will however, bring your concerns and comments directly to the Committee and we will revisit the wording on the forms for next years event.

Respectfully,

Holly M. Beck, Coordinator

FEGS-LIFE Programs

445 Oak Street

Copiague, NY 11726

631-264-2915 x302

#233641 - 06/26/08 01:31 AM Re: Art Show for Survivors' Work [Re: Ken Singer, LCSW]
blueshift Offline

Loc: infinity
I'm glad they are going to take another look at the wording..it does seem overly subject to misinterpretation as Tut pointed out.

Anyway, a question I had about it was whether the pieces should be framed prior to sending them or if they could also be displayed unframed.

I suppose that might be a question for HHSS, but I thought I might ask it here first in case anyone knows. Hardly any of my work is framed right now, so I might need to get a couple things into a frame shop.

#233717 - 06/26/08 08:44 AM Re: Art Show for Survivors' Work [Re: blueshift]
king tut Offline
MaleSurvivor

Thanks Ken, that was really thoughtful of you, and also thanks to the organisation sponsoring the art show for replying.

I can see now what the wording is meant to mean, now that i know the story behind it, and i am glad that they will reconsider the wording for next year, and glad my input has been some help. Hope it all goes well this year for them, and if i eventually learn to draw maybe i will submit some work one day too \:\) .

Lewis

#233722 - 06/26/08 08:52 AM Re: Art Show for Survivors' Work [Re: king tut]
Ken Singer, LCSW Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Lewis, isn't it nice whan you can make an impact on something? Good for you for bringing it up.

Blue, I suggest you contact her directly with your question, and remember to mention you saw it at MS.

#234037 - 06/27/08 09:38 AM Re: Art Show for Survivors' Work [Re: Ken Singer, LCSW]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Hey Lewis! Well done. \:\) See - speaking out can make a difference even in small things that can have a significant impact.

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.