Newest Members
MJ545, Marant, BeingFound, journey4two, VASurvivor
12331 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
cricket453 (60)
Who's Online
5 registered (Obi, 1islandboy, tbkkfile, OKIE MIKE, 1 invisible), 15 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12331 Members
74 Forums
63410 Topics
443334 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#231784 - 06/19/08 12:54 AM Hepatitis-C?
Trucker51 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Denver, CO
Hey Guys:

Does anyone else on here have Hepatitis-C or has anyone made it through treatment with Interferon? Just wondered about the side effects especially what are called Neuro-Psychiatric effects in the patient information sheet. It appears that I become more sensitive than would be normal for me for a few days following my weekly injection, then become less-sensitive and more easily angered for a few days more, before finally settling down towards the end of the week before the next injection is due.

I have been on Interferon and Ribavirin for 3 & 1/2 months now, and have already lost 40 lbs and have also had vision, focus, and depth-perception problems. The drug manufacturer recommends extreme caution in the use of this product in patients with any history of Psychological issues. Sometimes my reactions to stress can seem out-of-control when I am in the easily angered stage. My doctor is resisting reducing my dosage, though has allowed me a 25% reduction this week. He wants me to maintain a full dosage schedule and take an anti-depressant instead. Just saw a therapist for the first time in eight years yesterday. My wife said that my occasional anger is beginning to scare her. The therapist thinks that it is largely the Interferon.

Just looking for any help that anyone can offer.

Mark

#231786 - 06/19/08 01:15 AM Re: Hepatitis-C? [Re: Trucker51]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
This sounds serious. Is this the only treatment at this point?

Puffer

Edited by pufferfish (06/19/08 01:18 AM)

#231800 - 06/19/08 03:47 AM Re: Hepatitis-C? [Re: pufferfish]
Trucker51 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Denver, CO
There are some experimental and not well-accepted treatments which are more expensive. I am glad that we saw this new therapist Tuesday. A 30 min. session turned into 1:15 and was quite productive with several directions to proceed. I first began to notice the excessive self-directed anger a few weeks ago. It wasn't making any sense. It was just way too quick and virulent. My new therapist thinks that my anger is being made much worse by the side-effects of the drug.

Meanwhile my wife has been trapped down at her parent's house 25 miles away with an ongoing care issue for her elderly parents. She has only been home two nights in six weeks, after promising five months ago that she would only be involved 4 nights per week. Then one by one her other family members started quitting on her. Now she is all that is left. On Father's Day her dad didn't act too happy and critisized both of us several times all day long. At 11:00 PM he finally went off on me and was all mad that I was trying to steal his only caregiver away from him. We have been together for 26 months now, and common-law for nearly 10 months. Plus we are engaged with an October date. Is that odd how I can be married but not married? Now what do I do? I can't see her over there anymore because he is angry. He has moderate dementia and Alzheimers. So there has been some pressure these days, with my disease and financial issues. I have been off of work since late January, though I am getting Aflac disability. Her dad wants to move back to Michigan if they can sell their house out here, which would take the pressure off here. But the Michigan relatives don't want them back. There seems to be lots of anger everywhere I turn lately.

Anyhow, thanks for the response. I'm sure I will find some answers that will be helpful. It isn't terribly contagious like some terminal illnesses. Almost always you must share blood to get it. There has been some infection from infected or non-sterilized oral instruments, but that level is small, under 5% of all cases. Sexual transmission is in less than 2% of cases. And there is 5% to 10% of all cases with no discernable manner of infection. It is likely fatal if it isn't treated, as one will fairly quickly develop liver cancer or cirrhosis. I might make it 10-15 years untreated, maybe somewhat less if I was a heavy drinker. I haven't been a heavy drinker for many years though. A friend of my little sister's had it and was an alcoholic. He only lasted not quite three years after giving-up on Interferon treatment. If caught early enough treatment is only effective 60% of the time, but my first two rounds of follow-up tests have shown marked improvement. My viral load is down over 90% in my first 3 months of treatment.

Get back to me tomorrow. I've got to run out to Walmart to get some groceries before I take this injection tonight. My dosage has been reduced by 25% tonight only, and I waited an extra day to do it.

Thanks for thinking about it.

Mark

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.