Newest Members
JACKL, Personman, SiegmundNYC, TheGreatWhat, MyNameIsPaul
12488 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Alpha (49), AYounglove10 (23), joanne (27), justme62 (52), pontifixmax (44), royjay (46), Steve S. (48)
Who's Online
0 registered (), 15 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12488 Members
74 Forums
64153 Topics
447637 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#231589 - 06/18/08 03:08 AM WARNING: The Butterfly Effect
testingWaters Offline
MaleSurvivor

This is not a good film by any stretch of the imagination. However... if you have any negative experiences with dissociation, and especially if any form of "mind control" was involved in your abuse (FUCK YOU if you think programming, RA and mind control is bogus or fantasy, btw), I strongly urge you to avoid this movie like the plague. Best, TW

ps. I watched it several nights ago and it was a HUGE mistake.

#231602 - 06/18/08 04:37 AM Re: WARNING: The Butterfly Effect [Re: testingWaters]
BJK Offline
MaleSurvivor

Yes. Although I thought it was a very good movie, it is also a highly triggering movie for survivors of sexual abuse.

What the world needs now
Is some new words of wisdom
Like la la la la la la la la la.
-David Lowery

Having a friend who will keep a secret for you is worthless compared to a friend who won't keep a secret from you.

#231603 - 06/18/08 04:41 AM Re: WARNING: The Butterfly Effect [Re: BJK]
testingWaters Offline
MaleSurvivor

Dude, the depictions of mental illness in this movie are simply obscene. I am genuinely curious - how could you overlook that to find a "very good movie"? (handcuffs, violence, murder, etc)

#231665 - 06/18/08 01:51 PM Re: WARNING: The Butterfly Effect [Re: testingWaters]
BJK Offline
MaleSurvivor

Originally Posted By: testingWaters
Dude, the depictions of mental illness in this movie are simply obscene. I am genuinely curious - how could you overlook that to find a "very good movie"? (handcuffs, violence, murder, etc)

The movie affected me in a very emotional way. To me, the best movies are the best because of the emotion they stir up inside of me. Sometimes, this includes emotions like repulsion and shock.

What the world needs now
-David Lowery

Having a friend who will keep a secret for you is worthless compared to a friend who won't keep a secret from you.

#231675 - 06/18/08 02:25 PM Re: WARNING: The Butterfly Effect [Re: BJK]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
I saw this one awhile back and found it pretty triggery. Guys who have issues with dissociation and mind games will definitely want to avoid it, though yes, I thought it brought up some good issues.

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#231701 - 06/18/08 04:54 PM Re: WARNING: The Butterfly Effect [Re: roadrunner]
testingWaters Offline
MaleSurvivor

Sorry if I was a little aggressive - as you can ascertain it really got to me. I just felt like 1) the movie really played into the notion that people who dissociate are capital C crazy and 2) SPOILER ALERT the end of the film actually plays into the idea that the protagonist had no right to exist and actually would be better off killing himself. Not to mention that the perp in this film is portrayed as making nothing more than a one-time, drunken act of bad judgment.

It really, really got to me...

I thought Donnie Darko (from roughly the same milieu) was a much smarter, equally charged film that dealt with alot of the same issues.

#231706 - 06/18/08 05:49 PM Re: WARNING: The Butterfly Effect [Re: testingWaters]
Hauser Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: United States
I liked that imagery and thought experiments in this film, but there were HUGE plot holes and I simply wasn't buying into the notion of someone's senses being warped into a (seemingly) contrived way, for (seemingly) the sake of expedient stories and screenplay.

They could have gone without the make-believe time-travel scenarios and simply made a straight-forward drama, while keeping all the ugly elements of abuse and such, but, ....... well......we can't just have a film with good character development and no sensationalist special effects now, it wouldn't sell tickets in an American movie theatre.

#231908 - 06/19/08 02:18 PM Re: WARNING: The Butterfly Effect [Re: Hauser]
Nyjah Offline
MaleSurvivor

I loved the movie...but that's just me. I'm pretty chill with all movies.

#241019 - 07/29/08 01:52 PM Re: WARNING: The Butterfly Effect [Re: Nyjah]
JustScott Offline
Greeter Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

I just saw this movie a week or so ago. I liked it, although it really hit me hard. What with the events of the kids past and then the mothers miscarriages (2 huge triggers for me) I was a huge mess by the time this movie ended.

#241212 - 07/29/08 10:19 PM Re: WARNING: The Butterfly Effect [Re: JustScott]
BJK Offline
MaleSurvivor

Oddly enough, the hardest part of the movie for me was when that kid beat the snot out of that dude in the movie theater.

Yeah, that was me at that age...except I didn't always win.

Bryan

What the world needs now
-David Lowery

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.