Newest Members
JayNL, Robert Barrett, lostsoul824, beatcook, MassGuy
12279 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Daniel McKinney (35), Framery (44), JohanDoug (70), ltlkty (55)
Who's Online
1 registered (cant_remember), 22 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12279 Members
73 Forums
63179 Topics
441787 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#230515 - 06/12/08 05:42 AM Fakes
JasonSmalls Offline

Loc: NJ
I was on another site last night and there was a thread posted about people who go onto "Self help" websites like AA, or NA, or sites like this and claim to be suffering from whatever ailment or problem the site provides relief for. I even showed it to my grandpa and he said that some people are looking for attention. Maybe that's what it is, but I couldn't stop thinking about these people anyway.

I keep thinking, like why would you want this attention? What I mean is, my life pretty much sucks. It's getting better here and there, but little by little. If these people are so desperate for attention, I wish I could give them my problems for one day. When I'm in panic mode or nightmare mode and I can't breathe, or sleep, or concentrate, or I feel like I'm really literally dying, I wish I could give these people just one day of that so they can know what its actually like.

And it also just pisses me off. Cause I feel like I'm being used by somebody who claims they know exactly how I feel and they claim to be able to offer advice about what worked for them, but in the end it's really just bullshit. I dunno if I'm just taking this way too seriously or not, but I just can't help being mad about it.

Then there was a screen name of a guy (or woman) who ended up getting banned because he/she was tryin to talk shit with people and maybe even kids. (i didnt get the whole story cause there were like a million replies on the thread.) Anyway, that still makes me think like wtf? Haven't u guys (or girls) ruined our lives enough? Now u gotta come on a site that is helping us deal wit all the shit u put us through and now ur tryin to betray and hurt us again. I wanna say to these people There's other places for that shit! It's called AOL and Yahoo!

I just dunno. I dunno why it bothers me so much. (And u can see that i'm so mad right now cause my typin gets worse when i'm made. lol)

Oh well. Can u guys tell me what u think?

Joey

#230518 - 06/12/08 05:55 AM Re: Fakes [Re: JasonSmalls]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Joey,

You have every right to be mad as hell about such people. When they mess around on a site where they don't belong, they are making the genuine folks there playthings for their own amusement - as if their problems don't really matter.

You ask why some people do this. Someone who is desperately lonely and isolated won't be thinking of the harm he/she causes; all they can see is their own need for caring and validation, even if it's on false pretexts. You should know that this is one of the paramount concerns of the Mod Team. So much of a moderator's work involves watching out for signs that something "isn't right".

The Mod Team does its best to stay vigilant, and these characters will always make some mistake that exposes them. But having said that, it's my opinion that more than 99% of the people who are here are who they say they are and are here for the right reasons. You are far safer here than you are in the real world - again, in my opinion.

If you have any questions or fears, Joey, don't sit on them. Contact a moderator you trust and ask if you can talk about it. Never hesitate to ask here for the help you need. You deserve it!

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#230541 - 06/12/08 09:24 AM Re: Fakes [Re: roadrunner]
JustScott Offline
Greeter Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

I'll be honest, I'm always nervous and afraid of new people here. Course I'm nervous and afraid of new people in the real world too, so for me that's normal, but I'm always really tentative with with people. Some make me nervous big time, especially when they show up and immediately start offereing advice or asking a lot of questions that I consider too personal. I think I have yet to find one that turned out to be other than what they presented themselves as, but I'm always nervous anyway.

Makes me mad too that people do that. When you've been through Hell you don't want a devil at your side. I think it bothers your and many many others because it puts you and me and others in a place where we don't feel safe, and with all that we've been through, we just want to feel safe. Having that taken away yet again makes me angry. Definitely take Larry's advice. Protect yourself, if you have any issues or fears about someone, contact a mod. You're healing and your safety are paramount for you while you are here.

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.