Newest Members
JayNL, Robert Barrett, lostsoul824, beatcook, MassGuy
12279 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
melnjams (42), rage (27)
Who's Online
3 registered (WriterKeith, 2 invisible), 24 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12279 Members
73 Forums
63189 Topics
441846 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#230466 - 06/11/08 11:43 PM Re: Thank you, George [Re: roadrunner]
Trucker51 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Denver, CO
Larry:

Or maybe George knew that something was wrong, and he tried really hard to help you along.

My mom's stepdad tried really hard to help me along early in my life. He was the owner of a mid-size truck line and a cattle breeder. He taught me to drive and took me on the go-carts, bumper cars, and the Wild Mouse when I was just a kid. I was already having lots of problems at that point and everytime that I saw him he really helped distract me away from my problems. I was so vulnerable then and he treated me like a young partner. He always tried to encourage me right up until he died of a heart attack when I was just 13.

I too had a college professor who took me under his wing. I did so well until my first marriage collapsed. I'll never forget how much he helped me. He was Cleveland's former Planning Director, Professor Krumholz. They even tried to get me to come back three years after I had dropped out. They offered me a $9.00/hour internship at the Cleveland Transit Authority back in 1993. I'm still kicking myself that I wasn't able to accept their offer. Maybe now would be a good time to ask about it again.

Sadly, when I really could have used a guy like George at age 15, there wasn't one to be had. Your letter is very powerful, and I hope that George gets it. I have long wished that I could have written my grandfather to let him know how helpful he was to me and why.

Thanks for sharing.

Mark

#230514 - 06/12/08 05:40 AM Re: Thank you, George [Re: Trucker51]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Mark,

Originally Posted By: Trucker51
I have long wished that I could have written my grandfather to let him know how helpful he was to me and why.

Why not do it now? I think you will be surprised at what shows up on the screen/page, and I bet it will help you to focus some of your feelings and thoughts. Or at least that has always been my experience. Just write with the idea that the letter will never be sent to anyone; that will allow you to be totally honest with yourself.

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#230626 - 06/12/08 06:44 PM Re: Thank you, George [Re: roadrunner]
Trucker51 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Denver, CO
Larry:

Thanks for the suggestion. I have thought about it for so many years. Your letter to George was really cool, my man. It made me think of my grandfather again. My grandfather was always around during my early upbringing and I always wonder what he thought or what he realized. He was by far the most influential positive adult male role model of my early years. His death was a great loss for me. I really never got the chance to let him know how much his support meant to me. I have tried to pay him back by helping my disabled friend's son. Nine years ago he really had nothing to look forward to, and this Fall he will start college, so very optimistic about his future. I know how much I mean to him, as he and his mother have told me so, so many times.

Thanks again for sharing your story.

Mark

#231346 - 06/16/08 05:01 PM Re: Thank you, George [Re: roadrunner]
michael banks Offline

Loc: Mojave Desert, Ca
Thanks Larry for sharing,

People who were kind or nice always scared me the most because I wonder what they wanted. MY prep came across as a caring person at first. Thanks for the insight.

one day at a time--Mike--

"IT ought never be forgotten that the past is the parent of the future" John C. Calhoun

WOR Alumni Sequoia 2009

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.