Newest Members
journey4two, VASurvivor, jayceemac, rwolf, FindingNemo
12328 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Alicia (55), bubblytam (56), crazydragon (39), JGag78 (36), kris82 (32), Shin (28)
Who's Online
2 registered (YYZGIRL, tbkkfile), 19 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12328 Members
74 Forums
63396 Topics
443251 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#227613 - 05/29/08 02:37 PM My beloved cat, Romeo, just died
Kevin McParland Offline
New Here

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
I feel like my heart has been ripped out of my body. On Monday I noticed that my cat did not seem to be feeling well. He hadn't been attached to me for several days before that, but I hadn't noticed it till Monday. It turned out that he had renal failure & they had to put him to sleep yesterday. I held him in my arms for one last time & told him how much I loved him & how much he had taught me about love. He was so tired & so sick that he just wanted to go.
I feel such tremendous guilt as if I didn't take care of him & that he didn't know how much I loved him. I have another cat & a dog, but Romeo was really like a child to me. He was the most human of them all. He was so sweet & so innocent. I got him when he was about seven weeks old & he had been fed with an eyedropper as he & his brother had been separated from his mother. I was really like his mother. He slept with me every night for ten years & he had so much unconditional love for me that I feel like a part of me is gone now. He acted more like a dog than a cat. The only thing that I can equate the grief to, is that is must be similar when a woman loses a child in infancy or the baby is stillborn. It is such a personal private grief as no one else had that relationship with Romeo as what I did.
The real blessing of Romeo is that he showed me where my heart was bloced & needed to be opened. I miss him so much, my sweet little Romeo. I am to support as I want to stay open. I know the blessing is that he showed me my capacity for unconditional love & I am so thankful to him for that.

#227616 - 05/29/08 03:04 PM Re: My beloved cat, Romeo, just died [Re: Kevin McParland]
Freedom49 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Washington State
Kevin,
I am sadden to hear of Romeo's passing. I know that a pet can become very emotionally attached to us as we are to them. I am sure you did all you could have 10 years is a long time for a cat. I am glad you have another cat and dog as they will help you through this time also. Take care Kevin.

#227987 - 05/31/08 12:30 AM Re: My beloved cat, Romeo, just died [Re: Freedom49]
Brian Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Upstate NY
Kevin,

I'm sorry to hear about your loss. I've had to put my dog (Gizmo was 13) and my cat (Mona was 17) to sleep in the past 18 months. It was like part of me died with them. I understand; my thoughts are with you.

Brian

#228008 - 05/31/08 02:35 AM Re: My beloved cat, Romeo, just died [Re: Brian]
Hauser Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: United States
Indeed, part of us DOES die when we lose someone we love, and being a different species does not diminish that feeling of loss, I know from personal experience.

Kevin, it really IS a PROFOUND experience isn't it? I mean.........the pain? It HURTS. But......that is the price we pay when we love someone, one of the partners in that loving relationship dies first, and pets (typically) die first in that case.

And Kevin? About feeling guilty for maybe feeling that you should have let him go earlier? DON'T. He wasn't THAT miserable, and you made the best choices that you could at that time.

Might I recommend a place that helped me when my beloved Rottweiler (Thor) was dying of cancer?

http://www.indigo.org/rainbowbridge_ver2.html

And the main site is here:

http://petloss.com/

This is a site with mostly women as participants, just letting you know, but they're VERY nice and helpful. I just thought I would suggest the place in case you're having trouble still. \:\)

I know that you were a good provider for your kitty, Kevin.

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.