Newest Members
journey4two, VASurvivor, jayceemac, rwolf, FindingNemo
12328 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
cja (49), crackerjack (55), nursemanda25 (33)
Who's Online
2 registered (GT13568, 1 invisible), 16 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12328 Members
74 Forums
63403 Topics
443285 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#227968 - 05/30/08 11:16 PM New sub forum
Jarrad Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: arizona
Hey guys,
DuncanUK had PMed me the other day about possibilities in going to the mods about a HIV forum. I thought it was a great idea and were lucky enough to have the mods agree that it is worth trying out the forum.

what are the reasons for this forum? Let me share with you what I sent over to the mods:

i'm pretty open about being HIV+. I was really surprised the amount of guys who have come to talk to me about it. they either are poz themselves, concerned they are due to either past abuse or current sexual encounters, or have friends/family who are poz. i can see the concern from a site standpoint of "will the forum actually be used?" and you know what? I don't know. I think it is worth a shot. If the forum isn't used, can't it just be deleted? And, to be frank, you guys might not think it will be used because you probably don't know what it is like, or see a need for it because it doesn't directly effect you.

why at MS? the guys I have talked to, myself included, have gotten it from either abuse, or acting out due to the abuse (sex or drugs.) It adds another layer of "shit to deal with." Take for example sex. Not only do we have to deal with the whole set of problems survivors have, but then tact on "oh yeah, my sperm can kill you." It's mentally draining at times and depression is huge in both the survivor life and HIV life. It would be great to have a place just to talk about these issues. It would also be a place to discuss treatment options (which is mainly what i get asked about from other guys.) Yes, I realize that we aren't a health site, but I was really surprised how much they overlap. It would also be a place for information on not only dealing with "okay i have it" but "oh crap, i think i have it, what do i do." i think there would have to be a sticky note about where to get information that is current and up to date and that it shouldn't take the place of regular testing. blah blah blah..

my feeling is, give it a whirl. what do we have to lose?

so with that, I hope the forum will be a place for support, information, and a place for the poz guys to just come and have people understand.

I guess I should start out saying that I found out I was HIV+ when I was 17. It has progressed to AIDS. I'm currently on meds, and have been for sometime. so, if you guys have med questions, let me know. Right now im on fuzeon, viread, videx, and emtriva. seems to be working okay.

I hope that this forum will get some use and will be a source of info for guys who aren't poz.

WHOOO HOOO! Great idea Duncan.

#227994 - 05/31/08 01:45 AM Re: New sub forum [Re: Jarrad]
duncanUK Offline
MaleSurvivor

Hi Jarrad

I want to thank MS myself for providig this. It will be a great outlet to speak about the impact it has had. I found out i was HIV+ last year afer being sick for a very long time. It has now come to the point of progressing to AIDS if not treated fairly soon.

Thank you, once again.

#227995 - 05/31/08 01:49 AM Re: New sub forum [Re: Jarrad]
Trucker51 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Denver, CO
J

Congradulations on your new forum. HIV is a tough question. It is good that the guys here have somewhere else to turn to with their tough questions. Thanks for your support with my issues with Hep-C. Interferon is a tough drug too.

Just wanted to let you know that I care.

Trucker Mark

#228130 - 05/31/08 02:19 PM Re: New sub forum [Re: Trucker51]
Scoutvictim Offline

Loc: St. Louis, Missouri
Jarrad,

I have to agree. An ex of mine is HIV poz, and the health issues were a major part of our lives. Throw in CSA and I can totally understand the need for a place to talk or vent.

I hope this forum does get a lot of support.

My thought would be to put a sticky note in several other forums. Many guys don't make it all the way down here to H&W. Just a thought.

Good health to all,
Carl

Happiness is like peeing your pants; Everyone can see it, but only YOU feel the warmth.

Peebles, Ohio WOR alumni, Oct. 2007

#228145 - 05/31/08 02:48 PM Re: New sub forum [Re: Scoutvictim]
Jarrad Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: arizona
haha yeah may need a sticky to get the word out. or if we just keep bumping the post up, that works too \:\)
thanks for your support

#228152 - 05/31/08 04:22 PM Re: New sub forum [Re: Jarrad]
reality2k4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Stuck between water, air, and ...
I totally agree, and hope you guys can share positive information between yourselves.
It is also informative to others in here, who do not have it.

I will certainly support you,

ste

#229629 - 06/08/08 12:54 AM Re: New sub forum [Re: reality2k4]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Just a note to say another guy cares. I hope the new sub-forum proves helpful and supportive.

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.