Newest Members
Jerone, teba, Serpenta, mojo, James M
12114 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
chrisH (34), Malaki619 (32), worcester2003 (51)
Who's Online
3 registered (David jl, I Want 2 Thrive, maxxie), 72 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12114 Members
73 Forums
62502 Topics
438062 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#226661 - 05/25/08 09:17 PM Oh, those old feelings never go far....
dannym Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Boulder, Colorado
It happens so much less than it used to, but I am always so surprised when something triggers some of my old feelings of self-hate, self-doubt, guilt, shame, etc....

I was doing great... best I've been in forever - and then a situation came up and I fell of my pedistal HARD.

The only solace is that I have you all here - and a few special, close friends to help me through. I also seem to be able to recover more quicky than I used to, but when you are in the depths, feeling "good" again seems impossible.

Thanks, just being able to post this helped so much,

Dan

Marge Simpson

#226781 - 05/26/08 10:51 AM Re: Oh, those old feelings never go far.... [Re: dannym]
KENKEN Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: NOTHERN COLORADO
Dan,

When I do have those "good days/moments/events/feelings/thoughts", I seem to always have the thoughts and fears that soon, real soon, I am going to be triggered yet again, nd the real Ken is back. Seems if I am doing good and feeling good, I feel so guilty for feeling that way. Why am I feeling good? I shouldn't be having fun, I don't deserve to feel this way.

However, I am enjoying those moments in my life when I do feel like I am "somebody". I know I must be crazy the way my mind works. Yesterday was a great day for me, went for a long ride on my Goldwing with a friend. We laughed, had a few beers, enjoyed the Colorado mountains and I never once thought about my CSA. Of course, now today I feel like I have to make up for having fun yesterday and need to punish myself.

Why I feel guilty when my life is going well, I don't know. Guess it is something I need to work on.

Ken

From the Movie: Antwone Fisher

***WOR ALUMNI SEQUOIA MARCH 2008***

#226785 - 05/26/08 11:02 AM Re: Oh, those old feelings never go far.... [Re: KENKEN]
hogan_dawg Offline

You said "I also seem to be able to recover more quickly..."

The research indicates that's one of the outcomes of good therapy. Whatever you're doing is probably working. \:\)

I think for people like us we're always going to have moments like you've mentioned, from time to time. Thank goodness it's not, like, 24/7.

Ken you know the story of how they treated trauma in war time? They sent the traumatized person back on their horse, and into battle. You KNOW your self flagellation comes from CSA. So the Doctor says Get back on the Goldwing and do it again! Go for another ride! What the hell? It makes you happy.

(Not meaning to be a pisant, but the booze depresses, y'know...you might just be hung, lol - no seriously, a little bit can depress the CNS and that depression can trigger the old self rebuke - I get that with 2 beer and a game of pool - I still have the two beer and the pool game, but I know what to expect the next day)

Edited by hogan_dawg (05/26/08 01:08 PM)

#226787 - 05/26/08 11:06 AM Re: Oh, those old feelings never go far.... [Re: dannym]
GateKPR4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: North Carolina, USA
Dan,
I go through this about every couple months or so and I know what you mean when you say "fell off the pedestal hard" because thats how it works for me. I got a double whammy since I have bi-polar II which is being treated but it does not stop me from falling in the depths of despair. Just know it will pass is the best I can tell you. I have to tell myself that its only temporary and it helps me through it.

Knowing that it is not as bad or lasts as long as it used to is progress and its a good thing to focus on knowing its going to pass.

__m_τΏτ_m__
|| || || || || || |

#226955 - 05/26/08 09:22 PM Re: Oh, those old feelings never go far.... *DELETED* [Re: GateKPR4]
awakening Offline
MaleSurvivor

Post deleted by awakening

#226959 - 05/26/08 09:29 PM Re: Oh, those old feelings never go far.... [Re: awakening]
EGL Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
I'm glad posting this helped, Dan. Many times, just writing it out and knowing that someone else is listening to what you're going through makes all the difference in the world. Just remember that all that old self-hate, doubt, guilt, and shame is a direct product of the past and is not yours to own.

#226960 - 05/26/08 09:31 PM Re: Oh, those old feelings never go far.... [Re: EGL]
Freedom49 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Washington State
What Eddie said, and also remember it is AlL lies. There is nothing wrong with your atitude a good hug would not fix.

(((((Dan))))))

#226966 - 05/26/08 09:48 PM Re: Oh, those old feelings never go far.... [Re: Freedom49]
dannym Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Boulder, Colorado
Thanks, guys.

Had a much better day today. I joke with my best friend that I have two moods, elation and suicidal... it's only funny because it's partly true.

But you are right, guys, talking about it, haveing friends listen, knowing I'm making huge progress and hugs from my pals all make it all so much more manageable.

Thank you all for your support.

Dan

Marge Simpson

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.