Newest Members
RodrigoBR, MJ545, Marant, BeingFound, journey4two
12332 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
blueelectron9 (48), Grunty1967b (2014), highflight (42), jocks44 (54), kitm1 (47), Porrick (44)
Who's Online
1 registered (finallyhere), 18 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12332 Members
74 Forums
63415 Topics
443365 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#223117 - 05/07/08 08:11 PM Re: How do you read the bible? [Re: EGL]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
For me the most powerful part of the Bible is the Psalms. I can sit and read them endlessly, just pondering each line and letting it kind of open up in front of me. I lived in the Middle East for years, so all the references to the pastoral life in that part of the world are still very real for me. I guess I sit and read the Psalms and feel inspired. I can feel something of the attitude that the Psalms reflects, and when I do feel it I want more.

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#223878 - 05/12/08 01:06 PM . [Re: EGL]
bardo213 Offline

Edited by bardo213 (06/21/13 04:32 PM)

#223904 - 05/12/08 02:20 PM Re: How do you read the bible? [Re: bardo213]
Freedom49 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Washington State
I have evolved into reading it as if he were trying to tell me something I really need to know to survive and feel loved. It has opened up a whole new perspective. I like psalms 91 and particularly Isa 61 frist few verses.

Edited by Freedom49 (05/12/08 02:20 PM)

#224058 - 05/13/08 12:38 PM . [Re: Freedom49]
bardo213 Offline

Edited by bardo213 (06/21/13 04:33 PM)

#226526 - 05/25/08 09:03 AM Re: How do you read the bible? [Re: EGL]
terpprm Offline

Loc: Elyria, Ohio
for years i was trying to study my Bible in depth. but i just wasn't getting anything from it. my pastor caught wind of this and finally said to me, "you're searching fro God too hard. the christian walk should never be as hard as you are making it. you're searching so deep when in fact, all you have to do is scratch the surface. go home, and put away your dictionary, thesaurus, commentaries, parallel bibles, and just let God speak to you." now, he didn't mean don't ever touch them again, but i understood what he was saying. if you have the Spirit of God in your heart, then God will speak to you no matter what you read. sometimes we as humans try to play the Holy Spirit. this means not only in judging people, which is done more often than not, but also when it comes time to understand that which God is saying to us, we tend to make it elaborate, when in fact, it is more simple. now, i know everyone will believe different, but that is what i have found to be true in my life. for when i put all my study materials away and just read the Bible and let God do the talking, i started to learn more and advanced in my walk with God.

this is a great talk, i enjoy this. well, i'm off to church, we 're having a big service in honor of memorial day and we're honoring many veterans by name and i have a lot of music to play.(i'm the organist, for those who don't know me)

Much love to all of you,
Philip

#226537 - 05/25/08 10:24 AM Re: How do you read the bible? [Re: terpprm]
Happy Birthday Grunty1967b Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Australia
I think terpprm (Philip) put it very well. In fact he beat me to what I was going to say. All the other advice youíve received about helping to learn about the history and culture of the time is good advice and helpful, so is being open to have the Bible mean different things to you at different times (and Iím talking about the same passage of>

#226686 - 05/25/08 11:03 PM Re: How do you read the bible? [Re: Grunty1967b]
terpprm Offline

Loc: Elyria, Ohio
thank you for supporting me. it's good to read when someone agrees with you. sometimes you wonder if you'll offend someone or if you even make sense at times. lol. i just wanted to thank you for your kind words of support, and also say that i agree with what you added.

#228566 - 06/02/08 07:10 PM Re: How do you read the bible? [Re: EGL]
ktaylor7 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: South Carolina
I read the"Life Recovery Bible" in the New Living Translation. It is easy to read and has excellent devotional. You are doing it right. It sounds like the Holy Spirit is already doing a work in you. God Bless You

#228626 - 06/02/08 10:29 PM Re: How do you read the bible? [Re: bardo213]
Sans Logos Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: in my own world in pittsburgh,...
hi bros, when i was in the trappist monastery we used to use the ancient method of lectio divina for sacred and>

#230321 - 06/11/08 11:42 AM Re: How do you read the bible? [Re: bardo213]
Sans Logos Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: in my own world in pittsburgh,...
hi, i wanted to add something else to my previous response to this question. while it is good to savor the word, in order to inform the understanding, it also helps to read a good commentary in tandem with the actual reading of the text itself. the commentary will help provide historic and cultural context, which will give a broader view of other influences impacting people who felt inspired to speak on god's behalf in their particular time and place. i use the collegeville commentary and find it immensely helpful. it suggests various alternative viewpoints on the interpretation of god's word, which is helpful and edifying. somewhere in the middle of it all you meet god's wisdom and grace for your life.

blessings,

ron

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.