Newest Members
Barracuda312, Just Hanging, mossTI, E35, 1975
12339 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
GeneF48 (66), kun wang (32)
Who's Online
5 registered (traveler, 4 invisible), 21 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12339 Members
74 Forums
63434 Topics
443436 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#226048 - 05/23/08 01:09 PM about Indiana Jones - I did not like this about it
markgreyblue Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Pasadena, CA
In the new Indiana Jones movie, they did

a "cold war" stereotype of Soviet era Russian Competitors.

I really didn't like this. It was cliche and insulting to our friends in Russia.

The movie itself is "well made" but this part of it was really not fair - not nice - and it really was offensive from the start.

I didn't understand why they chose this. Honestly it was weird.

I feel like apologizing to the Russians on this site for the film, though I didn't make it.

It's really a shame.

"...the sign of a true leader is service..." - anonymous

#226055 - 05/23/08 01:57 PM Re: about Indiana Jones - I did not like this about it [Re: markgreyblue]
VLinvictus Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: NY
I honestly haven't heard anything good about this movie, which is a shame because <i>Raiders of the Lost Ark</i> is one of my all-time favorites.

I wonder how Germans felt about the cliche Nazis in the earlier movies?

I guess the Cold War setting was necessary because Harrison Ford is getting a bit long in the tooth, but everything's more fun with Nazis.

#226060 - 05/23/08 02:32 PM Re: about Indiana Jones - I did not like this abou [Re: VLinvictus]
Hauser Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: United States
Oh Mark, I haven't seen the movie yet, but give me a BREAK. By making the Soviets the bad guys in the film, they're simply being true to the prevailing political events at the time. I'm assuming it's taking place during the 50's or the 60's from what I gather.

Quit looking for reasons to be offended and just enjoy the damned movie. lol

#226088 - 05/23/08 04:18 PM Re: about Indiana Jones - I did not like this abou [Re: Hauser]
AndyJB2005 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Saint Paul, Minnesota
The villains in movies are always caricatures. They can't be more real than the protagonist or we would root for the bad guy. I mean look at the Nazis in the other Indiana Jones movies. Guys with eye patches and monocles, "I see ve got a problem, Mr. Jones." lol I saw the movie too. \:\) It was okay, but earlier ones were better. I love the skull. (I wont say more LOL)

#226122 - 05/23/08 06:25 PM Re: about Indiana Jones - I did not like this abou [Re: AndyJB2005]
Hauser Offline
MaleSurvivor

NO SPOILERS!!!! I'm gonna go see it tonight. heh

#226126 - 05/23/08 06:29 PM Re: about Indiana Jones - I did not like this abou [Re: Hauser]
HurtinginMD Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Cranston, RI
The movie was cool.....and Shia Leabouf didn't ruin the movie LOL so it is def going in my DVD collection

#226156 - 05/23/08 09:00 PM Re: about Indiana Jones - I did not like this abou [Re: HurtinginMD]
theatrekid Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: oregon
Lucas must be stopped no more unnecessary sequels!

#226173 - 05/23/08 09:35 PM Re: about Indiana Jones - I did not like this abou [Re: theatrekid]
ak Offline
MaleSurvivor

Mark,

it is nice that you have concern of the film, but I think that anything fantasy, it is not concern so much to me. And it is not as that Americans would be always such heroes in Russian-made movies! ;\)

andrei

#226267 - 05/24/08 04:21 AM Re: about Indiana Jones - I did not like this abou [Re: ak]
alexey Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Moscow, Russia
Mark,

I agree with Andrei. Cinema is about fantasy and I have seen many movies that would be offensive to different peoples, but I guess only specific individuals may get offended.

I have not seen the movie but it is much rumored in Moscow and I want to watch it. Indiana Jones is one of my favourite movies.

I remember the movie Borat (I think) about a Kazakhstanian man going to the USA as a journalist. This movie was the biggest offense and opinionated movie I have ever seen. The creators misrepresented very badly the Kazakhstan people and jews.

Alexey

(corrected movie name.)

Edited by alexey (05/24/08 01:13 PM)
(")_(")
--------
When you feel all alone and unhappy, turn to you Inner Child and talk to Him.
You will see He can comfort you like nothing else!

#227028 - 05/27/08 07:11 AM Re: about Indiana Jones - I did not like this abou [Re: alexey]
VLinvictus Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: NY
I saw the movie last night. I thought Cate Blanchett was cool. Shia LaBoeuf is cute. Pretty much everything else about the film stank.

Mr. Spielberg sure does like his aliens, doesn't he?

#227607 - 05/29/08 02:02 PM Re: about Indiana Jones - I did not like this abou [Re: VLinvictus]
ignored one Offline

Loc: Texas
Haven't seen it yet, but I haven't heard much good about it. I'll probably go this weekend.

My first thought though - was this a movie that really needed to be made?

#227610 - 05/29/08 02:16 PM Re: about Indiana Jones - I did not like this abou [Re: ignored one]
Hauser Offline
MaleSurvivor

It was a little over-the-top, but it had all the usual sensationalism and action-formulas of the previous movies, with the comedy-breaks too, of course. (Indy get poked fun at for his age more than once hehe)

I think what would have been cool is if they stayed in the tradition of not using any CGI graphics, it kind of sidetracked the feeling or genre of the film for me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.