Newest Members
mossTI, E35, 1975, Lucy, StacyR
12337 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
1 registered (GT13568), 20 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12337 Members
74 Forums
63422 Topics
443382 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#225978 - 05/23/08 10:02 AM I've got a new job
Grunty1967b Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Australia
After almost 10 years in my old job as a computer software trainer, I was offered a newly created position in another company, a non-profit counselling organisation as it turns out. A little ironic I think.

It took place via a social catch-up with an old boss of mine (from my 10 year job). We’ve kept in touch over the last 5 years and on this recent occasion he asked what I’d been up to. I told him how my department was going through (another) restructure and my continuing job was uncertain. I had also been transferred temporarily to another position (IT Help Desk) for the previous six months. Plus I told him how I’d been the lead person in setting up an online web community and database system.

At all of this he started laughing. I asked him why and he told me how he’d just had a meeting with his manager and told him how he wanted to create a new position to be filled by somebody who had experience in software, IT Help Desk, website development and database design. For him to hear me speak of my recent skills and my uncertain future position it seemed like “one of those moments”. He then asked if I’d be interested in such a position.

As it turns out he did offer me a ‘lesser’ role about 2 years earlier but it was only part time and about one third less than my salary at the time. I said no. This time I expressed my interest but raised the issue of wanting a fulltime position and a salary higher than my current one, otherwise why should I leave for less money just because my current job ‘could’ be in jeopardy?

He understood but reiterated that he told his boss he HAD to have somebody or he’d leave, and he was at the point of doing whatever it took to get somebody suitable. Having worked with me before and hearing about my recent experience he was determined to do his best to get me on board. He met my full time request and gave me $10,000 more than my current salary. I accepted the job.

Part of the future plan was for me to end up replacing him in his current role (a further promotion), within a year or so. I started my new job 4 weeks ago and I’m loving it. The more-than-likely promotion within a year was also a really good sweetener.

To add to my satisfaction, last week I was called aside to have a chat with the bosses. They told me how they were very happy with my attitude, skills and abilities and the contribution I had already made within my first few weeks. They told me they wanted to move forward my promotion and have me start the transition right now.

I got a promotion within 2 weeks of being in a new job in a new organisation! I’m very happy about all of this. As my wife just said this evening, she can see I have finally achieved what has been a long time coming – recognition and reward for the hard work that I do and enjoy.

#225980 - 05/23/08 10:09 AM Re: I've got a new job [Re: Grunty1967b]
MarkK Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Denver, CO
Congrats! I am more than a little jealous. I am currently a software trainer with 6 years on the Help Desk designing their ticket system and the IT Help Ticket system - and now the installer and trainer for the software. And the company is about to dissolve into nothing. It's possible we may be bought out - but the future looks less than miserable.

Although Australia would be quite a move for me ... if you hear of any other remarkable openings - wanna keep me in mind?? \:\)

Again - congratulations! Sounds like at least employment-wise, things are certainly looking up for you!

M

#225981 - 05/23/08 10:14 AM Re: I've got a new job [Re: MarkK]
EGL Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Congratulations, Bruce! That is an excellent post to read this morning. I'm really glad that your former boss saw the value in you and knew that you would be just the person his company needed.

#226027 - 05/23/08 12:05 PM Re: I've got a new job [Re: EGL]
alexey Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Moscow, Russia
Congratulations!

Alexey

(")_(")
--------
When you feel all alone and unhappy, turn to you Inner Child and talk to Him.
You will see He can comfort you like nothing else!

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.