Newest Members
BusterJones, Desperateforhelp, aniceguy, Green_Lantern, Safe11ride
12121 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
corvairman1 (43), marianne (44), son (35), speedy (31)
Who's Online
4 registered (Rich1967, 3 invisible), 53 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12121 Members
73 Forums
62521 Topics
438140 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#245975 - 08/21/08 07:41 AM Re: 2009 conference [Re: ak]
Trish4850 Offline
BoD Liaison Emeritus
MaleSurvivor<

Loc: New Jersey
No need to be embarrassed Andrei. You asked a perfectly logical question, there just happened to be two answers.

#246616 - 08/26/08 02:24 PM Re: 2009 conference [Re: Trish4850]
king tut Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: UK
It must be really hard to go and be with everyone who knows your a survivor, just because of the amount of people who would be there, it must be really emotional seeing how many people have been hurt and knowing their pain. I can't imagine what it would be like, how would you know who is from the site and who is not, just if you recognise their names or faces is it? how many people would be there? what kind of ages of people are there, are they all old?

I love you, little lewis, and i will never leave you. We are the same. You brighten my day, and i will make sure that i brighten yours. Hugs and kisses.

#246855 - 08/27/08 08:26 PM Re: 2009 conference [Re: king tut]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Lewis,

I can give you a few ideas from my own experience last fall:

Yes, it's an emotional experience to walk in thinking that everyone knows you are a survivor. There are also therapists and others there, but sure, it's mainly survivors. I met a lot of guys from the site there, and it was okay - I didn't feel troubled by that. Mainly I felt a real sense of brotherhood and connection with the guys. In some cases things clicked right away and I made friends who are still very important to me.

I think at the last conference there were about 400-500 people, and it was a great conference. There was so much to do and I was busy and active all the time.

On ages, yes, if you go you will find that most are older than you are, but there were indeed quite a few young survivors there. The minimum age is 18, I think, although if a minor came with his parents that would be okay. I saw young guys your age all the time, and one absolutely cool case was a high-school senior who came with two friends (non-survivors) for support. They were with him all the time, and I remember one time, during the performance of a play, he got emotional and began to cry. His friends just closed around him, supported him, and let him let it out. I had some emotional moments too. It was a powerful and very positive experience, and I think that was good for me.

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#247312 - 08/29/08 08:05 PM Re: 2009 conference [Re: roadrunner]
king tut Offline
MaleSurvivor

It's a shame there are none in Britain, but i guess it is understandable because there are more people and more opportunity for something like this in America. Actually, you didn't say, are there any in Britain?

I love you, little lewis, and i will never leave you. We are the same. You brighten my day, and i will make sure that i brighten yours. Hugs and kisses.

#247318 - 08/29/08 08:13 PM Re: 2009 conference [Re: king tut]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

I don't know of any conferences in the UK, Lewis. But I know that from time to time Mike Lew convenes retreats here. I'll look for his website and post it for you. He's a powerful and compassionate group leader and I learned a lot from him at his workshop in NYC. I walked into this room with 27 guys in it and I thought "Oh fuck, what have I done!!!!" But he gradually put everyone at ease and I think all of us are still in touch with each other. It's like a little community of 27 guys talking about news, our little victories, setbacks, etc.

(Woody Guthrie)

#247323 - 08/29/08 08:24 PM Re: 2009 conference [Re: roadrunner]
Hauser Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: United States
Lewis, I have attended Mike Lew's workshop last year in Bangore, PA. I would highly recommend it, especially for someone like you who has been dealing and talking about this shit for some time. You can read more here: http://www.nextstepcounseling.org/upcomingevents2.htm

It looks like he's sponsoring a retreat early next year in Norway, that's only a 4 hour flight for you Brits, maybe check it out?

#247325 - 08/29/08 08:24 PM Re: 2009 conference [Re: roadrunner]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Here's the link for his site. There's nothing listed for 2009 in the UK in his directory of forthcoming events, but I'll ask him if he has any plans that aren't on his site yet and let you know. But hey, up for a trip to Norway? \:D He has a conference in Oslo coming up in January.

(Woody Guthrie)

#247331 - 08/29/08 08:46 PM Re: 2009 conference [Re: roadrunner]
king tut Offline
MaleSurvivor

Thanks for your responses Hauser and Larry, i will check them both out now, but Larry, i hardly made it to Oxford alive, really think i could make it all the way to Norway? i've done the trains now (very confusing lol), but planes? i don't know, i hear they are just as difficult

#247332 - 08/29/08 08:49 PM Re: 2009 conference [Re: king tut]
king tut Offline
MaleSurvivor

they are the same site lol, great minds think alike

#247333 - 08/29/08 08:50 PM Re: 2009 conference [Re: king tut]
king tut Offline
MaleSurvivor

and thanks Larry if you ask him that would be great

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.