Newest Members
susanhepp, Breathe, georgetwo, frozen45, lilac
12291 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Guillermo (37), illbedat (26), Mike58 (56), Mnovit (38), Mongo (24), pwdasw (64), Raymond Sean (38), yesac76 (38)
Who's Online
4 registered (Robert Barrett, Obi, HD001, 1 invisible), 21 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12291 Members
73 Forums
63238 Topics
442213 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#224428 - 05/15/08 02:48 PM Gay Marriage Ban is Unconstitutional in CA
Stephen_5 Offline
BoD Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Northern California Foothills
State Supreme Court says same-sex couples have right to marry
Bob Egelko, Chronicle Staff Writer

Thursday, May 15, 2008

Printable VersionEmail This Article del.icio.us
Digg
Technorati
Reddit
Facebook Slashdot
Fark
Newsvine
Google Bookmarks
(298) Georgia (default)
Verdana
Times New Roman
Arial
(05-15) 11:16 PDT SAN FRANCISCO -- Gays and lesbians have a constitutional right to marry in California, the state Supreme Court said today in a historic ruling that could be repudiated by the voters in November.

In a 4-3 decision, the justices said the state's ban on same-sex marriage violates the "fundamental constitutional right to form a family relationship." The ruling is likely to flood county courthouses with applications from couples newly eligible to marry when the decision takes effect in 30 days.

[Related Story: Tears of joy over ruling]

"The California Constitution properly must be interpreted to guarantee this basic civil right to all Californians, whether gay or heterosexual, and to same-sex couples as well as to opposite-sex couples," Chief Justice Ronald George wrote in the majority opinion.

Allowing gay and lesbian couples to marry "will not deprive opposite-sex couples of any rights and will not alter the legal framework of the institution of marriage," George said.

In addition, he said, the current state law discriminates against same-sex couples on the basis of their sexual orientation - discrimination that the court, for the first time, put in the same legal category as racial or gender bias.

The ruling set off a celebration at San Francisco City Hall, where nearly 4,000 same-sex weddings were performed in 2004 before the state high court put a halt to the marriages while challenges to the California law worked their way through the courts. Today's ruling has no effect on those annulments.

Outside the city clerk's office, three opposite-sex couples were waiting at 10 a.m. for marriage certificates. City officials had prepared for a possible rush on certificates by same-sex couples, but hadn't yet changed the forms that ask couples to fill out the name of the "bride" and "groom."

City officials say they'll probably be unable to marry the same-sex couples for another 30 days when the decision fully goes into effect. But they're making appointments for those weddings now.

Ed Harrington, the general manager of the city's Public Utilities Commission, has lived with his partner for 35 years. In 2004, he performed marriage ceremonies for about 40 same-sex couples.

"You wait for this your whole life," said Harrington, who said he planned to call his partner and say, "I love you. What more do you say on a day like this?"

He said he didn't know if he would marry, but that "what's important is to be able to (get married) if you want to."

The celebration could turn out to be short-lived, however. The court's decision could be overturned in November, when Californians are likely to vote on a state constitutional amendment banning same-sex marriages. Conservative religious organizations have submitted more than 1.1 million signatures on initiative petitions, and officials are working to determine if at least 694,354 of them are valid.

If the measure qualifies for the ballot and voters approve it, it will supersede today's ruling. The initiative does not say whether it would apply retroactively to annul marriages performed before November, an omission that would wind up before the courts.

Liberty Counsel, which represented the group Campaign for California Families before the court in arguing for the state law, denounced the ruling and said it would ask the justices to stay its effect until after the November election.

George was joined in the majority by Justices Joyce Kennard, Kathryn Mickle Werdegar and Carlos Moreno. Justices Marvin Baxter, Ming Chin and Carol Corrigan dissented - though Corrigan, writing separately, said she personally believes "Californians should allow our gay and lesbian neighbors to call their unions marriages."

Baxter, writing for himself and Chin, accused the court majority of substituting "by judicial fiat its own social policy views for those expressed by the people."

Both he and Corrigan noted that California voters reaffirmed the state's ban on same-sex marriage in a 2000 ballot initiative.

The court "does not have the right to erase, then recast, the age-old definition of marriage, as virtually all societies have understood it, in order to satisfy its own contemporary notions of equality and justice," Baxter said.

But George, in a 121-page opinion, said California has already recognized, in its laws and public policy, that gays and lesbians are entitled to equal treatment in every legal area except marriage. He also noted that state laws and traditions banned interracial marriage until the California Supreme Court, in 1948, became the first court in the nation to overturn such a law.

"Even the most familiar and generally accepted of social policies and traditions often mask an unfairness and inequality that frequently is not recognized or appreciated by those not directly harmed," the chief justice wrote.

The legal case dates back to February 2004, when San Francisco Mayor Gavin Newsom ordered the city clerk to start issuing marriage licenses to couples regardless of their gender, saying he doubted the constitutionality of the state marriage law.

The state's high court ordered a halt a month later, after the nearly 4,000 same-sex weddings had been performed at City Hall. The court annulled the marriages in August 2004, ruling that Newsom lacked authority to defy the state law. But it did not rule on the validity of the law itself and said it would await proceedings in lower courts.

Some of the couples immediately sued in Superior Court and were joined by the city of San Francisco, which said it had a stake in ensuring equality for its residents. The case that ultimately reached the state Supreme Court consolidated four suits, one by the city and three by 23 same-sex couples in San Francisco and Los Angeles.

Superior Court Judge Richard Kramer, ruling in the San Francisco cases, declared the ban on same-sex marriage unconstitutional in March 2005. He said the law violates the "basic human right to marry a person of one's choice," a right declared by California's high court in the 1948 ruling.

Kramer said the law also constituted sex discrimination - prohibited by another groundbreaking California Supreme Court ruling in 1971 - because it is based on the gender of one's partner.

But a state appeals court upheld the law in October 2006, ruling 2-1 that California was entitled to preserve the historic definition of marriage and that the state's voters and legislators, not the courts, were best equipped "to define marriage in our democratic society."

The appeals court also said California is not discriminating against same-sex couples, citing state laws that give registered domestic partners the same rights as spouses. Those laws provide such rights as child support and custody, joint property ownership, inheritance and hospital visitation, and access to divorce court.

But domestic partners are denied marital benefits under federal law, which means they can't file joint federal tax returns, collect Social Security survivors' benefits or sponsor one another as immigrants.

The suits before the court relied on the California Constitution, which state courts have long interpreted as being more protective of individual rights than the U.S. Constitution. The initiative that California voters are likely to consider in November would write a ban on same-sex marriage into the state Constitution, a step already taken by voters in half the states.

Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger has twice vetoed same-sex marriage bills, citing the 2000 ballot measure that reaffirmed California's opposite-sex-only marriage law. That initiative was not a constitutional amendment.

The governor issued a statement today saying, "I respect the court's decision and as governor, I will uphold its ruling." He also reiterated his opposition to the constitutional amendment that is likely to be on the November ballot.

Suits similar to those that went before the California Supreme Court have been filed in other states, but only the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court has ruled that the state's constitution gives gay and lesbian couples the right to marry.

Courts in Vermont and New Jersey have found their states' marriage laws discriminatory but left the remedy up to state legislatures, which opted in both cases for civil unions for same-sex couples rather than marriage. A similar ruling by the Hawaii Supreme Court in 1993 was overturned by a ballot initiative.

The California case is In re Marriage Cases, S147999. The ruling is available at http://www.courtinfo.ca.gov/opinions.

Chronicle staff writers Cecilia M. Vega and Heather Knight contributed to this report. E-mail Bob Egelko at begelko@sfchronicle.com.

I'm so happy I think that I'll go out and get married!

Steve

#224454 - 05/15/08 07:48 PM Re: Gay Marriage Ban is Unconstitutional in CA [Re: Stephen_5]
AndyJB2005 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Saint Paul, Minnesota
2 down, 48 to go...although I'm sure the Christians will get this out somehow...wouldn't want to let "the gays" love.

#224457 - 05/15/08 08:23 PM Re: Gay Marriage Ban is Unconstitutional in CA [Re: AndyJB2005]
Hauser Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: United States
Why is the State sanctioning marriage in the first damned place? What the Hell business is it of the State to dictate who can and can't get married? It's the Church's role to sanction marriage, not the omniscient state.

#224461 - 05/15/08 08:50 PM Re: Gay Marriage Ban is Unconstitutional in CA [Re: Hauser]
AndyJB2005 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Saint Paul, Minnesota
Alan, it's about governmental benefits and if they're on the deathbed they can speak for the partner...

It's more than the ring...

#224462 - 05/15/08 09:06 PM Re: Gay Marriage Ban is Unconstitutional in CA [Re: AndyJB2005]
FormerTexan Offline
Site Administrator
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Denver, CO
There was a time there were no goverment "benefits" to merit government involvement in personal affairs.

"It's more than the ring..."

I agree, but it's also more than deathbed considerations.

1. That

If I could meet myself as a boy...

#224463 - 05/15/08 09:07 PM Re: Gay Marriage Ban is Unconstitutional in CA [Re: AndyJB2005]
Hauser Offline
MaleSurvivor

But THAT is what Insurance Contracts and Courts are for, just as it was in the past, before politicians usurped their positions and presumed to know how to run our personal lives.

#224467 - 05/15/08 09:59 PM Re: Gay Marriage Ban is Unconstitutional in CA [Re: Hauser]
markgreyblue Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Pasadena, CA
State Supreme Court says same-sex couples have right to marry

Rock On!

MGB

(thanks Trish)

"...the sign of a true leader is service..." - anonymous

#224469 - 05/15/08 10:09 PM Re: Gay Marriage Ban is Unconstitutional in CA [Re: markgreyblue]
Trish4850 Offline
BoD Liaison Emeritus
MaleSurvivor<

Loc: New Jersey
ROCK ON indeed!

I could get into arguments about the State v. Church sanctioning marriage and the why's and why not's, but the history of it doesn't matter - it is a fact.

Thank goodness someone saw the light and made this right! Now it just has to stick. Heterosexual or homosexual doesn't matter a rat's butt. If two people are committed to one another and make the decision to be married, then that's their decision. The State should NOT have the right to tell them no.

Go California!

#224489 - 05/15/08 11:40 PM Re: Gay Marriage Ban is Unconstitutional in CA *DELETED* [Re: Trish4850]
Still Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: 2.5 NATO Nations
Post deleted by Robbie Brown

Still's Globs

New Video

#224511 - 05/16/08 12:51 AM Re: Gay Marriage Ban is Unconstitutional in CA [Re: Still]
WalkingSouth Offline
MaleSurvivor

sigh...

#224515 - 05/16/08 01:03 AM Re: Gay Marriage Ban is Unconstitutional in CA *DELETED* [Re: WalkingSouth]
Still Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: 2.5 NATO Nations
Post deleted by Robbie Brown

Still's Globs

New Video

#224517 - 05/16/08 01:07 AM Re: Gay Marriage Ban is Unconstitutional in CA [Re: Still]
WalkingSouth Offline
MaleSurvivor

not directed at you or anyone else in this thread Rob. Just sigh...

#224518 - 05/16/08 01:12 AM Re: Gay Marriage Ban is Unconstitutional in CA [Re: WalkingSouth]
Hauser Offline
MaleSurvivor

lol, come on John! Make a stand! Voice your opinion! Don't be lame. I know you're just WANTING to say SOMETHING about this. (What happened to the John I used to know?)

#224523 - 05/16/08 02:14 AM Re: Gay Marriage Ban is Unconstitutional in CA [Re: Hauser]
Stephen_5 Offline
BoD Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
It's not about the state sanctioning. It is a fact that 'married' couples enjoy benefits and rights that are denied to others that are not 'married'. If they would change all of the statutes to be 'commited couple' and not 'married' all of this would go away. It wouldn't be such a BFD if all people were given those same rights and priveledges in the first place. California was the first state to overturn the law against interracial marriage in 1948, this is no different.

And damn it, I'm getting married!

Steve

#224525 - 05/16/08 05:13 AM Re: Gay Marriage Ban is Unconstitutional in CA [Re: Stephen_5]
arronb Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Perth
Hey Steve ...

Congratulations.

You're not the only one lining up to get married in California ...

Ellen & Portia to marry

#224528 - 05/16/08 07:39 AM Re: Gay Marriage Ban is Unconstitutional in CA [Re: arronb]
Trish4850 Offline
BoD Liaison Emeritus
MaleSurvivor<

Congratulations Steve! and arronb?

As for the political arguments, I'm with John *sigh* This decision is one for many of our members to celebrate so lets go with it!

ROCK ON.......Trish

#224537 - 05/16/08 08:54 AM Re: Gay Marriage Ban is Unconstitutional in CA [Re: Trish4850]
arronb Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Perth
Originally Posted By: Trish4850
Congratulations Steve! and arronb?

Trish, mate ...
Is that a marriage proposal ???

I know I am a hopeless romantic ...
but I hardly know thee ... and if I recall correctly
there's a gentleman who walks around with white bubbles
on his head that seems pretty attached to ya ...

oh well if california is ready to go that way ...
a happy 3some it'll be ... not !!!

hey man with bubbles on head - lose the dame and I'll
immigrate LOL

Sorry Trish ...
a joke a ya expense ...
blame it on the meds if ya must ...

(I was referring to Ellen and my fellow aussie Portia joining the queue)

#224541 - 05/16/08 09:10 AM Re: Gay Marriage Ban is Unconstitutional in CA [Re: arronb]
Trish4850 Offline
BoD Liaison Emeritus
MaleSurvivor<

*lol* Yes Arron, I am definately attached to bubble head man, but hey, if things don't work out...............

I though maybe you were hinting that you would be one of those on line....sorry for the booboo.

ROCK ON........Trish

#224552 - 05/16/08 10:07 AM Re: Gay Marriage Ban is Unconstitutional in CA [Re: Trish4850]
Hauser Offline
MaleSurvivor

Whatever!

And what about us single people? We're the NEW discriminated class. If we live until age 67, then die, ALLLLLLL of the money we put into social security goes back into the pool to pay for future retirees. Meanwhile you "married" people get to leave a "death benefit" for your "spouse", and they get a monthly check until they die, which could be for another 50 years in extreme cases. Talk about discrimination!

Oh, and if your "spouse" gets a job offer, you get to tag along and get unemployment insurance while you move to your new residence even though you voluntarily quit your job to be with your "husband". Try doing that if you're single and see how far you get.

If you're "married" and in the military, you automatically get better on-base housing, even if you're the same pay grade/rank.

If you're unmarried, you can legally be denied leave from your employer to care for a newborn child.

There are more examples I could site, such as the stupid tax code which is way to long for the purposes of this discussion, so I'll site my one single favorite assanine tax code: "married" people are entitled, when they sell their home, to a $500,000 capital gains exemption. Thus, for "married" people, $500,000 of the gain from sale of the home is exempt from taxes. Single people are only entitled to a $250,000 exemption. What's THAT all about?

I think you get my point. With respect, I'm not going to celebrate the confiscation of money and privileges from one group of people to another simply because the state sanctions their relationship.

#224562 - 05/16/08 11:31 AM Re: Gay Marriage Ban is Unconstitutional in CA [Re: Hauser]
Stephen_5 Offline
BoD Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
You know, I'm with you on that. If the laws and regulations were truely nuetral and didn't favor one thing over another that would be great. But that's not the way things are in reality. One example is that families with a whole bunch of kids get tax incentives to have a whole bunch of kids in the form of deductions. In the world according to Steve, everyone would pay the same percentage of their income in tax, no exceptions, no exclusions, a post card size tax form. I also agree that it's none of the governments business who I love or chose to live with, but....there are all sorts of laws giving rights and priviledges to certain classes of citizens that are denied to other classifications of citizens. That is unjust.

I'll send in my check for 2 cents and get off my soapbox now.

Steve

#224583 - 05/16/08 01:50 PM Re: Gay Marriage Ban is Unconstitutional in CA [Re: Stephen_5]
WalkingSouth Offline
MaleSurvivor

Originally Posted By: Stephen_5
I'll send in my check for 2 cents and get off my soapbox now.

Steve

KenF'll be glad to hear that, Steve! \:D

#224584 - 05/16/08 01:55 PM Re: Gay Marriage Ban is Unconstitutional in CA [Re: WalkingSouth]
Trish4850 Offline
BoD Liaison Emeritus
MaleSurvivor<

*rflmao* \:D

#224641 - 05/16/08 08:31 PM Re: Gay Marriage Ban is Unconstitutional in CA [Re: Trish4850]
ak Offline
MaleSurvivor

Congratulations to them for this becoming law. I find it sad that some people feel so victimized in their own status that they can not find any happiness in seeing another oppressed group gain some rights, after such a long fight. But, congratulation to those who will be positively effected by this ruling.

andrei

#224647 - 05/16/08 09:25 PM Re: Gay Marriage Ban is Unconstitutional in CA [Re: ak]
Hauser Offline
MaleSurvivor

Andrei............I think you're missing the point. I shall elaborate.

Instead of currying for special favors from the government, it's my contention they should instead be striving to abolish all the privileged arrangements that traditional married people get.

This way, NO ONE is left out and everyone is EQUAL. By vying for this privileged rank of "marriage", they're simply continuing to play the governments game, a game where we behave like dogs begging for scraps at the government's table, a game I've been sick of playing for a long time now.

#224668 - 05/16/08 11:20 PM Re: Gay Marriage Ban is Unconstitutional in CA [Re: Hauser]
Darren Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: The High Seas
Well, Hauser, I guess you 'got started' after all!!! He he... As usual, you bring up some great points. There are lots of inequities...society has always rewarded marriage and, in turn, punished single people. It's so unfair. Should we all fight to get marriage rights taken away and equalize the playing field? I don't think that's going to happen realistically. would be nice if no one was left out, though.

#224673 - 05/16/08 11:35 PM Re: Gay Marriage Ban is Unconstitutional in CA [Re: Darren]
MarkK Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Denver, CO
A level playing field? On THIS planet? Someone's always going to be "top dog" and someone else is always going to be trying to catch up.

But equality ... does have a nice sound to it.

#224734 - 05/17/08 04:33 PM Re: Gay Marriage Ban is Unconstitutional in CA [Re: MarkK]
tazrad Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: FL USA
I hate the courts, but in this issue IT IS ABOUT DAMM TIME. This is a basic rights issue. Besides the fact that the super majority is controlling the minority. I could go on and on. It just upset me. That a man and women union is any different than anything other union.

Now I am going to breath for an hour.

Gregg

#225042 - 05/19/08 11:17 AM Re: Gay Marriage Ban is Unconstitutional in CA [Re: tazrad]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Well, I consider myself a Christian - if a pretty ravaged one - and I'm absolutely delighted to see this ban going down the drain. So far as I can see it's not about religion; it's about social intolerance and prejudice dressed up with religious justifications.

But that's just me. I know others will view it differently. I just hope everyone who is against equal rights for gays will look deep inside and see if they really believe their objection is religious.

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#227128 - 05/27/08 04:31 PM Re: Gay Marriage Ban is Unconstitutional in CA [Re: roadrunner]
GentleSoul Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Manhattan
I for one oppose this ruling. Whatever happened to the sanctity of marriage between a man and a woman? Strictly, I believe:

1. Marriage is a tool that allows you to get a green card.
2. Marriage should always be arranged where, preferrably with a dowry, status and power, and definitely not love, is the main objective and purpose.
3. Marriage can & should be used by high profile celebrities as a publicity stunt to improve their status, fame, and power.

These 3 principles are the foundation of the sanctity of marriage!! These rogue judges are desecrating the American way! This is not Christian. Repent! Repent!

#227191 - 05/27/08 08:10 PM Re: Gay Marriage Ban is Unconstitutional in CA [Re: GentleSoul]
WalkingSouth Offline
MaleSurvivor

Originally Posted By: GentleSoul
I for one oppose this ruling. Whatever happened to the sanctity of marriage between a man and a woman? Strictly, I believe:

1. Marriage is a tool that allows you to get a green card.
2. Marriage should always be arranged where, preferrably with a dowry, status and power, and definitely not love, is the main objective and purpose.
3. Marriage can & should be used by high profile celebrities as a publicity stunt to improve their status, fame, and power.

These 3 principles are the foundation of the sanctity of marriage!! These rogue judges are desecrating the American way! This is not Christian. Repent! Repent!

Sarcasm works well in this case...

#275271 - 02/14/09 09:52 PM Re: Gay Marriage Ban is Unconstitutional in CA [Re: Stephen_5]
michael banks Offline

Loc: Mojave Desert, Ca
Alan,

There are two people in a marriage so $250,000 times 2 = $500,000. Alan it sounds like you need to call your state and federal representatives and talk to them in modifying these laws that you find so offensive.

Mike

"IT ought never be forgotten that the past is the parent of the future" John C. Calhoun

WOR Alumni Sequoia 2009

#275278 - 02/14/09 10:20 PM Re: Gay Marriage Ban is Unconstitutional in CA [Re: michael banks]
LN3(SS) Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: MD
Oral arguments will be held March 5, 2009. Hopefully the CA Supreme Court will overturn that hideous ballot initiative. Probably 4-3 like the original decision.

Brian

"When we go into battle, I will be the first to set foot on the field, and I will be the last to step off, and I will leave no one behind. Dead, or alive, we will all come home together." LTG Hal Moore, Jr., USA (Ret.)

#275965 - 02/19/09 01:23 AM Re: Gay Marriage Ban is Unconstitutional in CA [Re: LN3(SS)]
Stephen_5 Offline
BoD Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
The CA Supreme Court is also going to decide whether all of the 18,000 couples married between May and November can still be married or will be involuntarily divorced. I for one do not want to divorce my partner. We're married, we have the document to prove it. We love each other and want to stay with each other, forever. I don't think it's too much for us to have the same rights, priviledges and responsibilities that are afforded to other couples.

Take good care of yourselves,

Steve

#276012 - 02/19/09 11:07 AM Re: Gay Marriage Ban is Unconstitutional in CA [Re: Stephen_5]
Hauser Offline
MaleSurvivor

And what if the other spouse doesn't even work Michael? It's still just-plain discrimination.

Perhaps if I ever marry (probably not), I'll change my attitude about this whole privileged-status game that we're playing here, but I seriously doubt it.

#276025 - 02/19/09 12:34 PM Re: Gay Marriage Ban is Unconstitutional in CA [Re: Hauser]
wes-b Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Western, Canada
confused

Please God... help me to understand why using such an emotionally charged term persists??? Each time I see or hear the "gay marriage" debate it annoys me to see the polarity among people who are usually loving, caring, tolerant...

In my view there is far more likely-hood of achieving a consensus of support for the legal recognition of same sex couples by the government. As I see it the underlying issue is about spousal rights that already devolve to partners in opposite sex couples but not to partners in same sex couples; like survivor benefits... The issue has taken on a life of it's own and become a grand Theosophical debate, and all because using the word "marriage" gets emotional attention.

The haters will hate regardless, and their flocks will follow if there is a strong emotional hook and an identifiable enemy. Let's all pray that the emotional hook be removed and the haters lose their wider following.

Love, Wes

Continuing to meet more of my fellows as I "Trudge the Road of Happy Destiny".

My Story, 1st pass

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.