Newest Members
pjmd, j_f1974, Dan234racer, ajax, marmill252
12431 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
mTm (55), Oz (28)
Who's Online
2 registered (Obi, 1 invisible), 16 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12431 Members
74 Forums
63840 Topics
445797 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#224364 - 05/15/08 10:35 AM Program to Combat Sexual Abuse
KeithR Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Georgia
http://chronicle.augusta.com/stories/051508/met_228655.shtml

COLUMBIA --- Educators across South Carolina will be trained on how to prevent, identify and report cases of students being abused by adults at school or elsewhere, officials announced Wednesday.

Roughly 10,000 teachers, administrators, guidance counselors, coaches and school nurses will become "Stewards of Children" through a program developed by Darkness to Light, a Charleston-based national nonprofit group that seeks to curtail the number of child sex abuse victims and the crime's impact on their lives.

Anne Lee, the group's chief executive, said South Carolina is the first state to tackle such a statewide initiative. She said the group is seeking federal money to expand what she hopes becomes the national model.

She hopes the training program "closes the cookie jar" for sexual predators in schools. If they know fellow educators are watching and are ready to turn them in, they'll get another job, Ms. Lee said.

State schools Superintendent Jim Rex said incidents of inappropriate behavior between students and teachers are rare, but even one is too many.

"So much of what schools do is based on trust. Not only must kids trust their teachers, but parents have to trust those teachers too," he said. "And schools have to earn that trust each and every day. That's what this initiative is all about."

Mr. Rex said it needed to be a statewide push, because if the agency allowed schools to opt into the program, those that most need it might not participate. Colleges are also incorporating the training in their teacher education programs.

Last fall, a nationwide Associated Press investigation found 2,570 educators whose teaching credentials were revoked, denied, surrendered or sanctioned from 2001 through 2005 after allegations of sexual misconduct, from bizarre to sadistic; 99 were from South Carolina, according to discipline records.

Experts who track sexual abuse said those cases are representative of a much deeper problem because of underreporting.

'STEWARDS OF CHILDREN'

WHO GETS THE TRAINING? Beginning this fall, at least one educator from each of the state's 85 school districts will have 6 1/2 hours of training.

WHAT ABOUT THE OTHERS? Those "stewards of children" will train at least 20 percent of educators in their district.

HOW MUCH DOES IT COST? More than 80 percent of the $162,700 cost of training and materials comes from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.

#224379 - 05/15/08 11:49 AM Re: Program to Combat Sexual Abuse [Re: KeithR]
Freedom49 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Washington State
It is about damn time. Where is the rest of the NEA on this or are they to busy lobbying for lienency for those teachers who are dangerous or incompetent. UGH
Thanks for this post it is encouraging.

#224415 - 05/15/08 01:59 PM Re: Program to Combat Sexual Abuse [Re: Freedom49]
Muldoon Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: St Paul MN
State schools Superintendent Jim Rex said incidents of inappropriate behavior between students and teachers are rare, but even one is too many.

This guy is not into reality, it is a much bigger issue than he thinks.

Glad they are starting to do something.

Tom

#224434 - 05/15/08 03:38 PM Re: Program to Combat Sexual Abuse [Re: KeithR]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
WHY?

Prevention will never be 100%. To save a fraction of kids would actually be cost effective.

Why can't schools have a person who can recognize abused kids so that they can be given some counseling.

I can often recognize abuse in kids. Am I the only one.

Does society turn a blind eye toward the problem.

Puffer

#224435 - 05/15/08 04:03 PM Re: Program to Combat Sexual Abuse [Re: KeithR]
reality2k4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Stuck between water, air, and ...
Not enough money, not enough training, and who? Can train someone in so little time.
Better to have teachers wear T-shirts, with I will listen on the back of it.

That is, teachers who the kids trust, because kids are well known to keep secrets to themselves, especially if it is a teacher, parent, or someone who threatens them, and they wont tell anyhow, if they cannot feel in charge of it stopping, but on their terms, and not on the terms of the state.

It means that kids should have empowerment over their abusers, whilst not having their future jeapordized by the state,

ste

Edited to say, 6.5 hours training is nothing near enough to educate the educators.
On the negative side, it will make teachers remote from the kids, instead of being who they really are, for fear of being labelled.

Edited by reality2k4 (05/15/08 04:17 PM)

#225043 - 05/19/08 11:22 AM Re: Program to Combat Sexual Abuse [Re: Freedom49]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Roger,

Originally Posted By: Freedom49
It is about damn time. Where is the rest of the NEA on this or are they to busy lobbying for lienency for those teachers who are dangerous or incompetent. UGH

My sister Cathie (Lady Rock here on the site) works for the PSEA, the PA branch of the NEA, and I can tell you for a fact that the NEA is concerned about this problem. I will ask her if she can say something about it here.

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.