Newest Members
RodrigoBR, MJ545, Marant, BeingFound, journey4two
12332 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
blueelectron9 (48), Grunty1967b (2014), highflight (42), jocks44 (54), kitm1 (47), Porrick (44)
Who's Online
2 registered (VASurvivor, 1 invisible), 17 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12332 Members
74 Forums
63417 Topics
443370 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#224068 - 05/13/08 01:11 PM Ignored for decades - Church abuse again
reality2k4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Stuck between water, air, and ...
Pervert priest jailed at last after allegations ignored for decades

A CAMPAIGN of child abuse by a perverted priest was ignored by church authorities for decades, even though several of his victims spoke out.

Retired priest Father John Corrigan was jailed for four years today for the abuse of three altar boys and a girl in the sacristy and vestry of his Gateshead church dating back 40 years.

The 72-year-old, who also worked in parishes in Seaham and Newcastle, admitted nine charges of indecent assault between 1967 and 1972 and must now register as a sex offender for life.
advertisement

Judge David Hodson told Corrigan: "By virtue of your priesthood you were in an especially privileged position, you were regarded by your parishioners as a person with whom the safety and innocence of the children in your charge would be safe.

"Over a period of about five years, you breached that trust in the grossest way."

Newcastle Crown Court heard how his teenage female victim reported the abuse at the time, but the authorities refused to listen.

Prosecutor Penny Moreland told the court: "It was she who got the dressing down from the parish priest, it was she who was told she was a bad girl who had shamed her family by saying wicked things about the defendant."

The woman, now in her 50s, was in court yesterday to see Corrigan, who sat with his head in his hand throughout the hearing, finally brought to justice.

The court was told that one of the male victims, who was abused when he was around eight-years-old, went to the authorities in the 1980s but he too was ignored.

An investigation was finally launched in 2002, after the third victim finally reported Corrigan's crimes, and he was extradited from his native Ireland, where he had retired.

Defence barrister Tony Hawks said it took great "moral courage" for Corrigan to admit his guilt and has committed no offences before or since.

Judge Hodson told Corrigan: "You believed your position was unassailable.

"You thought no-one would complain and even if they did their word would not be believed as against yours."

Speaking after the hearing Father Dennis Tindall, Diocesan Safeguarding Co-ordinator of the Diocese of Hexham and Newcastle, said he has worked closely with some of the victims.

He added: "We do not have a good history on this subject.

"We need to acknowledge things weren't always done correctly on the past."

#224070 - 05/13/08 01:44 PM Re: Ignored for decades - Church abuse again [Re: reality2k4]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
Yes, I saw a report about this guy on TV. It may have been ABC's 2020.

He was retired in a comfortable situation with a nice stipend in Ireland.

It is right that he should be prosecuted.

#224072 - 05/13/08 02:03 PM Re: Ignored for decades - Church abuse again [Re: pufferfish]
JustScott Offline
Greeter Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

It is right for him to be prosecuted, I'm just sick that it took so long for anyone to listen to the victims!!! Sad!

#224089 - 05/13/08 04:21 PM Re: Ignored for decades - Church abuse again [Re: JustScott]
reality2k4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Stuck between water, air, and ...
It goes to show that is of little worth reporting abuse to the police who are indifferent to the affects of clerical abuse.
Any other form of abuse for that matter, because the children may be too terrified to say what really happened.

It is shameful that they took decades to bring him to justice, and I guess it must have led to a whole load of trauma, for those who told and were ignored.

No sentence could suffice for what he did, and he will be able to resume his life in a couple of years, but not for those he abused,

ste

#225307 - 05/20/08 10:29 AM Re: Ignored for decades - Church abuse again [Re: reality2k4]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
It's an outrage that the kids were disbelieved, but of course CSA by the clergy wasn't on the public radar back then. What staggers me is the fact that the abuser gets four years, while his victims have had to live with what he did for all their lives.

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.